• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oh how a year changes things...

Martin2D

Clueless About Life
Well, I went to PA today to revisit Pliny the Younger, which I sampled for the first time last year. Last year's event was what catapulted me back into loving beer and or that I am eternally grateful. The king of the day was the half glass of Pliny the Younger I got last year so I was anxious to taste it again. Well, a year of drinking ridiculous beers can really change you. While I would have loved Pliny the Younger to be everything I had remembered and more; it wasn't. On the flip side, I've had much greater things in the past year. It's a great IIPA, don't get me wrong, but that will probably be the last time I will jump through hoops to get Pliny. Thanks Pliny for all you have done and I look forward to better beers because of you.

Could it be because your taste have changed? Speaking for myself, I used to think that Belgians were second to none, but as my taste have evolved, the beer du jour totally depends on my mood and particular preference at that time.

Could it be because your taste have changed? Speaking for myself, I used to think that Belgians were second to none, but as my taste have evolved, the beer du jour totally depends on my mood and particular preference at that time.

I would say yes, absolutely it could be because tastes change over time. It could also be because its a completely different batch and while the recipe and the way they brew it remain the same, there are inevitably going to be differences. The big 3 brewers spend millions on quality control to make sure every Coors, Bud or Michelob tastes exactly the same. The little guys don't all have this luxury which can cause different batches of the same beer to have small and sometime big differences.

That being said, I thought PtY was off a bit this year as compared to last. Still a great beer but there are others out there that are just as good and can be had every day for a reasonable price.

Totally agree Jonas. Stone being a prime example. Some years their RIS is totally off the hook, while other years leave some to be desired. I don't consider beer brewing to be an exact science, more like a masterful art form. I have not had PTY and refuse to be part of the chaos that seems to follow PTY here in Southern California.

Glad you and Martin got to taste some though.

There is nothing wrong with having a "gateway" beer. I used to think Fat Tire was awesome when I was just getting into beers beyond Bud Light. I started getting into microbrews as a result. After a year of sampling, they finally released it in my state and I was amazed at how bad it was. Tastes change fast and it is all relative...but there is always a special place for the beer that opens your palate beyond Bud/Miller/Coors. Every so often I have a Fat Tire just for old time's sake.

I agree with everything you guys are saying. The Fat Tire comments especially. That was my gateway beer as well, and while I don't think it is bad, I haven't purchased any for the home in over a year. I'm still happy to see it on tap when I find myself at a 'hell bar' that doesn't carry sh.t for beer. I now understand where Surly got their name, completely on the mark.

My tastes are changing now a bit, I still love the hops, but I'm having some fun trying a few stouts. I'm looking forward to Surly's Smoke and Four release in a big way.

Even though its not a great beer, killians or newcastle were my two gateway beers. I still enjoy both on occasion but my tastes have def. changed over the years. I am not very picky though. I cant say that there are certain beers that I must have. I figure I havent had everything yet so I often go to the big beer stores over in St. Louis and pick up bottles that I have no idea what they are. Me and the wife sit in the basement and sample beers till were feeling good and I think thats what beer is all about.

Even though its not a great beer, killians or newcastle were my two gateway beers. I still enjoy both on occasion but my tastes have def. changed over the years. I am not very picky though. I cant say that there are certain beers that I must have. I figure I havent had everything yet so I often go to the big beer stores over in St. Louis and pick up bottles that I have no idea what they are. Me and the wife sit in the basement and sample beers till were feeling good and I think thats what beer is all about.

Today's wisdom brought to you by sporkd2.