• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Okay, so do dis-similar cigars marry?

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
This topic came up in another post and I figured I would ask it directly.

I have always been told that dis-similar cigars, if allowed to touch for an extended time, will marry or become a blend of the two cigars.

Opinions?

Facts?

Experience?

I have always been told that dis-similar cigars, if allowed to touch for an extended time, will marry or become a blend of the two cigars.

Opinions?

Facts?

Experience?

IMO and experience, as long as they aren't flavored, they won't "marry". Just to be safe, I am a cello on guy for my Opus and Anejos, but other than that, no, I don't believe that it will affect the flavor.

This is another one of those nature/nurture, chicken/egg. cello on/off issues. Lots of opinions none better or worse than any of the other ones. The only thing I have found that people consistently agree on is what Drew said about flavored varieties.

JMO

Billy

*edit for spelling*

Opinions?

Facts?

Experience?

Search is your friend. I did "marry" in the Cigar Discussion alone and got 2 pages of hits.

Maduros and Candelas should never marry......it's against natural law or something. You end up with those striped cigars and everybody knows how bad they are. ;)

Its fact...A LFD Factory Press II next to a Padron 1926 #2 maddie will in fact ruin the padron to the point of it tasting like a LFD. :( But they wasn't my cigars so who cares. :whistling:

in the search key.....type "marrying of cigar flavors" I was involved with that one......Many opinions on this.........

Was wondering the same thing about flavors marrying. Here are 2 questions: 1) If the smokes are right next to each other in the humidor, will the flavors mix? What time period 2) Also, if different cigars are kept in the same box in a coolerdor, will the flavors mix?

Was wondering the same thing about flavors marrying. Here are 2 questions: 1) If the smokes are right next to each other in the humidor, will the flavors mix? What time period 2) Also, if different cigars are kept in the same box in a coolerdor, will the flavors mix?

1. No
2. No

Some info for consideration........

You just made a big cigar purchase and rushed home to put your new sticks in the humidor. Now the age old question: do you or do you not take the cigars out of the cellophane before putting them away? This has plagued cigar collectors for years. From online forums to industry publications, the proper way to store cigars has been a topic of heated debate. For years I have experimented in storage concepts and have done extensive research on the subject. In all my experimentation, I have arrived at one truth when it comes to the cellophane debate: it is a matter of preference!

Leaving the Cellophane On:

Contrary to popular belief, humidity will reach your cigars when you leave the cello on. The plastic used by cigar manufacturers is permeable, enabling a certain level of moisture and air to circulate in and out of the protective cover. Otherwise, a micro-climate would be created inside the cellophane, and the cigars would be more susceptible to mold. Since humidity will reach your cigars with or without the cellophane, there are many reasons to leave it on.

Protection From Other Cigars: Tobacco gets its flavor and characteristics from oils that escape from the leaf and remain on the surface. The oils from the various tobacco leaves inside the cigar meld and marry with each other to create balance and give each blend a unique profile. Storing different brands without cellophane right next to one another can produce the same marrying effect on a much larger scale. The result is that over time, many of the various brands will start to change and take on one uniform taste.

Protection From You: The oils that form on each of your cigars are also at risk from over-handling. Every time you pick up a cigar and come into direct contact with the tobacco, the oils rub off on your skin. Once lost, these oils can take a great deal of time to replenish, and will affect the overall smoking experience when the time comes to enjoy your cigar.

Protection From the Elements: As you can see, cigars that have been removed from their cellophane are at higher of losing both flavor and aroma. However, aside from these changes, cellophane also protects against physical damage that can occur when moving your cigars from place to place or dropping them in your pocket as you head out for the night. After tobacco ferments, it becomes much less pliable, and it takes very little to tear or damage the delicate wrapper. Any damage changes the way a cigar burns, resulting in a dramatically altered taste.

Taking the Cellophane Off:

At this point, you are probably asking yourself, "Why would anyone ever want to take the cellophane off their cigars before storing them?" Well, the cellophane can actually inhibit the aging of your favorite smokes.

Aging: Once rolled, cigars complete their final fermentation in aging rooms, then are boxed and shipped to retail stores around the world. Next, the cigars begin the first of as many as three maturation periods that are characterized by the breaking down of tannins and the marrying of oils. During these stages, the cigar settles into a more refined taste. Depending on the tobacco used to make the cigar, this process can take as long as 50 years. However, if cigars are kept in cellophane, this process is slowed by as much as 60 percent. Additionally, after several years in cellophane, the emitting oils and by-products of the maturation can make the cellophane less breathable, and your cigars will be susceptible to mold.

Maintaining Steady Humidity: While cellophane is breathable, it is not ideal for maintaining the best possible climate for your cigars when they enter your humidor. Once a cigar levels out at a constant humidity, the tobacco absorbs and releases moisture in an effort to maintain equilibrium and consistency in your humidor. This can be more difficult with an added layer of cellophane encasing your sticks.

Tradition: Cellophane is relatively new to cigars, as it was first introduced by JC Newman (makers of Diamond Crown and Cuesta Rey) in the 1930’s. Prior to that time, only a small handful of cigars came in packaging, which ranged from foil to tissue paper. In fact, to this day, no hand-rolled premiums are imported from Cuba in protective cellophane.

Which method is right for you? In the end, it all depends on what type of cigar smoker you consider yourself to be. If you anticipate traveling and handling your cigars to some degree, then you should keep your cigars in cellophane. However, if you intend on aging a limited variety of brands for an extended period of time and want them at their best, it is smarter to remove the cellophane before storing them. Nevertheless, keep in mind that aging requires patience and organization because the cigars should not be over-handled and must be separated to avoid cross-marrying of the different blends in your collection.

This does not necessarily have to be a black and white issue. Many aficionados will buy a box of cigars and store half of them "naked" for aging, and keep the remainder in cellophane for added protection. Just keep in mind that regardless of your preference, each method has its advantages.

Sorry about the length of this..........Hope this helps

I guess at this point I am going with "yes" they do marry.

From the good info provided by Smoke and others I know I would not intermix my best full bodied smokes with my best mild bodied smokes. And I would not intermix my best cigars with my everyday cigars.

Being an analytical person I also know that if I filled a ziplock bag with one of each of my best smokes and took a big wiff it would smell like "just plain cigars". Since cigars are absorbant, it stands to reason that they would inherit the odor and taste of other cigars.

http://www.cigar.com/newsletter/dec28newsletter.html

"In fact, to this day, no hand-rolled premiums are imported from Cuba in protective cellophane."

Incorrect: Cohiba, H. Upmann...

Which current production Cohiba comes wrapped in cellophane? Other than the long discontinued Corona?

I understand this to mean that no hand rolled Cuban cigars were ever produced with cellophane.

Do you read it differently?

Panetelas, Esplendidos, Exquisitos, Coronas, Robustos, Lanceros, Corona Especiales, all came in cellophane.

I think the subject is getting lost........Marrying of cigars.......Cellophane was discontinued on Cohibas many years ago.......1990 or so

Bob

http://www.cigar.com/newsletter/dec28newsletter.html

"In fact, to this day, no hand-rolled premiums are imported from Cuba in protective cellophane."

Incorrect: Cohiba, H. Upmann...

Which current production Cohiba comes wrapped in cellophane? Other than the long discontinued Corona?

I understand this to mean that no hand rolled Cuban cigars were ever produced with cellophane.

Do you read it differently?

Panetelas, Esplendidos, Exquisitos, Coronas, Robustos, Lanceros, Corona Especiales, all came in cellophane.

Ah, ok. I read it to mean that it meant current production smokes. My bad. :blush: Makes more sense now that I read the whole article and it does appear to be wrong.

If I read inaccurate information, I don't want members walking away thinking something is a fact, when it is not. :)

I found this in another post by Cigar Smoke.

"Cigars obsorb any scent or odor surounding them including the Spanish Cedar that lines your humidor."

I think we can all agree that cigars absorb scent/odor.

So......I am going to play it on the safe side and continue to keep my smokes in seprate boxes in the coolidor.

Maduros and Candelas should never marry......it's against natural law or something. You end up with those striped cigars and everybody knows how bad they are. ;)

my email server has been down all day. I needed this chuckle. :laugh: