• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Old Time Radio Shows

SamClemmons

eloquent absurdity
Am I the only one on the planet that listens to these shows and loves them? I'd never heard of "The Six Gun" till last fall. This one is Jimmy Stewart doing a weekly western. One I just read about is called "Zero Hour" hosted by Rod Serling which isn't exactly "old time" since it ran from 1973 - 74, and I have yet to hear an episode. Anyway "Gunsmoke" is good and "Tales of the Texas Rangers" too. These are on XM. Does anyone have Serius (sp)? What sort of shows do they offer on there besides stupid fuggin' howard stern?

BTW I just bought all episodes of "The Six Gun" and "Zero Hour" on Ebay in MP3 format. I rock!

NA

I'd love to listen to these but we don't get satellite radio waaaaaaaay up here (or so they say- I haven't tried)

Are they on any internet streaming channels by chance? I love the old westerns (and war movies too) and this seems like it would be great to listen to, especially since I hate TV...

I listen to the old radio shows channel on XM quite often.

Swissy, I don't know if it helps, but I was able to get a perfect signal on XM up to the 55th parallel on our trip into Canada, still quite a ways south of you, but it may work???

dosn't look like you can get the old shows on XM on-line.
Lots of good stations for just $8 a month :thumbs:
One site I know about
link
Has a few shows you can listen to on-line

Bill

Hmmmm, I've never listened to those Neal but you've got me wondering.... :)

I've been thinking about getting XM. I think it's better than Sirius. I've been hearing that Sirius may be getting bought out. Who knows what that means but XMSR is a healthier company than SIRI (sorry, I'm speaking in ticker symbols :laugh: )

I watch Gunsmoke every morning before work. Festus is a rip and who wouldn't want to bang Mrs Kitty (not)! I never listened to any westerns, but i'm sure they're cool. I just like the visual of the old west.

I remember listening to many of the radio shows, back in the 1950's. I liked the "Gunsmoke" radio show. This was in the days before "Gunsmoke" became a television series. William Conrad did the voice of Marshal Matt Dillon. Mr. Conrad had an outstanding voice quality. William Conrad is perhaps best remembered for his title role in the television detective series, "Cannon", which aired on the CBS Television Network. I also liked the "Lone Ranger" radio show, but preferred the television series with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels. There are also several other old radio shows that I liked. Of course, many of the old radio shows are now available on cassette tapes and cd's. Regards, knightlaird

SamClemmons said:
Am I the only one on the planet that listens to these shows and loves them? I'd never heard of "The Six Gun" till last fall. This one is Jimmy Stewart doing a weekly western. One I just read about is called "Zero Hour" hosted by Rod Serling which isn't exactly "old time" since it ran from 1973 - 74, and I have yet to hear an episode. Anyway "Gunsmoke" is good and "Tales of the Texas Rangers" too. These are on XM. Does anyone have Serius (sp)? What sort of shows do they offer on there besides stupid fuggin' howard stern?

BTW I just bought all episodes of "The Six Gun" and "Zero Hour" on Ebay in MP3 format. I rock!

NA
[snapback]230204[/snapback]​
Sirius Sat. Radio has an old time radio station. recently listened to an episode of "The Shadow" and "The Lone Ranger", also the original "War of the Worlds" was re-broadcast, with the original commercials. That was pretty cool to hear.

coventrycat86 said:

I've been thinking about getting XM. I think it's better than Sirius. I've been hearing that Sirius may be getting bought out. Who knows what that means but XMSR is a healthier company than SIRI (sorry, I'm speaking in ticker symbols :laugh: )
[snapback]230251[/snapback]​
A few things Bill, Sirius will explode once Howard Stern arrives at Sirius in Jan. 2006, they expect to gain 4-5 million subscribers just around Christmas. I personally have had Sirius for 2 1/2 yrs. now, the programming is very good, my personal fav is the classic rock channels.They not only play the standard issue classic rock stuff, but some of the obscure stuff from the artists, like b sides and live performances.
The biggest thing is that Sirius has 3 sats. in orbit as opposed to the 1 sat. that XM has. All sirius channels are included in the subscription price, where as XM has some premium channels you must pay extra for. Sirius has every NFL game and just signed up with NASCAR and I hear a deal with MLB is in the works. Also, they broadcast every NHL game. There is hardly ever a gap in streaming of the broadcasts and you can even listen on a computer by using your account number on the website. All in all, Sirius offers more for the $$$. Just my opinion.

Rob_k said:
coventrycat86 said:

I've been thinking about getting XM. I think it's better than Sirius.  I've been hearing that Sirius may be getting bought out.  Who knows what that means but XMSR is a healthier company than SIRI (sorry, I'm speaking in ticker symbols :laugh: )
A few things Bill, Sirius will explode once Howard Stern arrives at Sirius in Jan. 2006, they expect to gain 4-5 million subscribers just around Christmas. I personally have had Sirius for 2 1/2 yrs. now, the programming is very good, my personal fav is the classic rock channels.They not only play the standard issue classic rock stuff, but some of the obscure stuff from the artists, like b sides and live performances.
The biggest thing is that Sirius has 3 sats. in orbit as opposed to the 1 sat. that XM has. All sirius channels are included in the subscription price, where as XM has some premium channels you must pay extra for. Sirius has every NFL game and just signed up with NASCAR and I hear a deal with MLB is in the works. Also, they broadcast every NHL game. There is hardly ever a gap in streaming of the broadcasts and you can even listen on a computer by using your account number on the website. All in all, Sirius offers more for the $$$. Just my opinion.
[snapback]230313[/snapback]​

I have to agree with Rob here. My wife has XM in her car and I have Sirius in my truck so I have been exposed to both. The music (classic rock, alternative) channels are much better on Sirius IMO. For the most part it is the same news channels, very similar comedy channels, and regular old entertainment channels like where you would hear some of those old radio rebroadcasts are similar. When we went to Gulf Shores last year we listened to one of those stations that was like a book on tape all the way there. The big difference for a guy or a sportsfan is whether you want MLB (XM), NFL (Sirius), and NASCAR (XM, but as I hear Sirius will have soon.) :)

I use Yahoo Music for only $5/month. You can download all the MP3's you want for free (subscription service).

I have been tempted to get XM just because of the music but if they include westers on radio then I may really need to add this to my X-Mas list...lol

Rob_k said:

Not much more to offer programming wise at all really. Aside from better hardware, XM has no premium stations (no extra subscription fees as you suggest), MLB, NHL (which will be an XM exclusive after 2 years when the current contract with the dual broadcasting runs out), PGA, IndyCar, NASCAR (you can hear the drivers talk with their teams on one of the stations), internet streaming, etc. - and thankfully XM doesn't have Howard (I can't wait for him to get off the radio - he's worse than everything he used to complain about, although he will most likely be the biggest boost to satellite radio in general).

About the only thing Sirius has that I'd like is the Jim Breuer show, which will proboably end up on XM soon enough with O&A in charge of bringing in some new shows (like they did with Ron & Fez)

IgwanaRob said:
Rob_k said:

Not much more to offer programming wise at all really. Aside from better hardware, XM has no premium stations (no extra subscription fees as you suggest), MLB, NHL (which will be an XM exclusive after 2 years when the current contract with the dual broadcasting runs out), PGA, IndyCar, NASCAR (you can hear the drivers talk with their teams on one of the stations), internet streaming, etc. - and thankfully XM doesn't have Howard (I can't wait for him to get off the radio - he's worse than everything he used to complain about, although he will most likely be the biggest boost to satellite radio in general).

About the only thing Sirius has that I'd like is the Jim Breuer show, which will proboably end up on XM soon enough with O&A in charge of bringing in some new shows (like they did with Ron & Fez)
[snapback]230446[/snapback]​

Breuer Unleashed is the best comedy talk show on Sirius, agreed there. XM used to have premium channels (2 1/2 yrs. ago at least.) all things change i guess. either way, commercial free, satellite radio is a heck of alot better than terrestrial radio.

Rob_k said:
Breuer Unleashed is the best comedy talk show on Sirius, agreed there. XM used to have premium channels (2 1/2 yrs. ago at least.) all things change i guess. either way, commercial free, satellite radio is a heck of alot better than terrestrial radio.

O&A started off as a premium (went free when Howard announced he was moving to Sirius and was going to be about $10-15/mo extra originally), and Playboy was just dropped (O&A taking over that station allegedly) - I don't know about the rest of the stations, but it appears some used to be extra as well.

It's so nice to be able to listen to good radio again with the satellite - NY radio is the worst in the country and getting more pathetic every day (I used to love going out of state just to hear decent music).

I love the old mystery and crime dramas. There is a local am station that plays them late at night. I'd like to collect some of my favorites on cd eventually.

Rob_k said:
coventrycat86 said:
Hmmmm, I've never listened to those
A few things Bill, Sirius will explode once Howard Stern arrives at Sirius in Jan. 2006, they expect to gain 4-5 million subscribers just around Christmas.

Nowhere near the expected number of subscribers and in less than a month sirius is already working on censoring the pos...do a search on The New York Post.

Once they do begin censoring him watch the tide turn to XM and watch Sirius go down the tubes...

pierce652 said:
Rob_k said:
coventrycat86 said:
Hmmmm, I've never listened to those
A few things Bill, Sirius will explode once Howard Stern arrives at Sirius in Jan. 2006, they expect to gain 4-5 million subscribers just around Christmas.

Nowhere near the expected number of subscribers and in less than a month sirius is already working on censoring the pos...do a search on The New York Post.

Once they do begin censoring him watch the tide turn to XM and watch Sirius go down the tubes...
[snapback]282305[/snapback]​

Keeping in mind that the NY Post is a tabloid (one of the better ones at least), they also ran a story about the censoring that is in place with XM as well - not that it's strictly enforced, but it is in place if they decided there's a need to use it.

In reality, you want Howard to do at least marginally well - otherwise there will be no competition for O&A and they'll stagnate as fast as Howard did on terrestrial radio after WNEW bit the dust (and the way K-Rock is heading since they stupidly decided to change to all talk like WNEW did - Apparently Infinity is trying to kill off their own business)