• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oliva Serie V Maduro update

The 1st review is up! For a full review, check out:
http://www.stogiereview.com/

You can also check out the time Jose spent with David Savona here:
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Bl...695,320,00.html

Smoking a New Oliva
Posted: 11:24 AM ET, October 08, 2008

Oliva Cigar Co. has been making cigars since 1995, but it really popped up on my radar screen three years ago when I noticed their value-priced cigars scoring well in Cigar Insider and Cigar Aficionado. The one that really caught my interest was a $4.50 robusto called the Oliva “O” Classic Olé. It was named our No. 9 Cigar of the Year in January 2006. You have to love a world-class cigar with a suggested retail price of less than $5.

Oliva has been doing very well lately, and last year the company took the No. 4 slot on our Top 25 with the release of the Oliva Serie V line. Last week, Oliva vice president Jose Oliva came by the Cigar Aficionado office to show me what he calls “the maduro interpretation” of the cigar, the new Oliva Serie V Maduro Especial. It’s made with a Connecticut broadleaf wrapper around Nicaraguan filler and binder, and it’s pretty damn tasty. I shot a little video of the cigar, about ten minutes into the smoke, and had Jose talk about it. Check it out.

Broadleaf takes me back to my roots. Back when I was in college, I smoked Muniemaker Breva 100s, machine-made cigars (100 percent tobacco machine mades, not the type made with a zillion flavorings, the ones that are wrapped with something that looks like brown paper) that were wrapped in dark, rugged broadleaf. So I tend to enjoy the sweet, rugged flavor broadleaf imparts to a cigar.

The Serie V Maduro is excellent. It has some cocoa, coffee bean and raisin flavors, with a lot of spice. I found it delicious. It burned beautifully and was exceptionally well made. I didn’t score it, but it would have done well.

The first Serie V maduros will ship next week. You can read a little more about the cigars in yesterday’s Cigar Insider.

I'll keep an eye out for them. I let my local know that they were available but not sure if they'll carry them.

Thanks for the update Ian.

I hear that the hand in your avatar the one and only Matt W.?

Ian, my local B&M says that each B&M is only allocated one box, at least initially. Is this true? Thanks.

Grabbed a couple at one of my locals today. Only slightly darker than original V and a little longer than the original torp. Looking foward to having one tonight and another with a little age. I think they were marked $8.50.

Grabbed a couple at one of my locals today. Only slightly darker than original V and a little longer than the original torp. Looking foward to having one tonight and another with a little age. I think they were marked $8.50.

The one place i found them online wanted 90/box plus 40 tax. i passed on it. Hoping i can find some around your price. id be willing to pay 90 for a box. but 140 in total i thought to be excessive.

The one place i found them online wanted 90/box plus 40 tax. i passed on it. Hoping i can find some around your price. id be willing to pay 90 for a box. but 140 in total i thought to be excessive.

You shouldn't have to pay tax if it's out of state....even if you are in NY.

:thumbs: I posted on someone else's review, but I love 'em. So much so that a bought a couple of boxes. Cigar seemed stronger then the regular v line.

I'm hoping, after they rest a bit, that the sweetness of the maduro wrapper comes out a little more to balance the spiciness.

So what does everyone that got them so far think?????

What has everyone been paying for a box of these? I'm finding prices a bit high...the cheapest I found online is $110...thats shipped.

Thanks!

~ t

EDIT: for content

Back