• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oliva V

rbw57

The first time I burned one was at the Oliva V evnt at a local B&M. Jose Oliva and staff were there handing out freebie cigars. When Bert handed me one, he explained that they set out to give the customers a great cigar at an affordable price point. They did both, all of these cigars are large. The Double Toro is about 7.50 average, it is 6x60 monster. These cigars are full bodied and extremely smooth. I have never smoked any other cigar that is as smooth as this one. No wonder CA gave it a 94!

Bert said to blow some smoke thru my nose, I was reluctant at first, but he kept on and so I took the plunge and was surprised. Most cigar smoke is not pleasant when exhaled thru the nose, but this one is.

I knew I had to take some home and smoke them where I could enjoy them more and do them justice in a review. Here goes.

The pre light. The cigar is a little toothy, and rolled just right. These cigars are almost a work of art, beautiful Habano Sun Grown wrapper glistens with oils. a powerful, yet balanced and smooth blend of aged Nicaraguan ligero. I cut the cap, and drew thru it, the tobacco is nice and light. It lit right away, no problem with the burn, smoked to the nub. Lots of smoke, easy draw, very good taste, good buzz, do not smoke first thing in AM or on empty stomach! This is a Ligero Especia, every one knows this is what gives cigars a kick the Ligero. The ash is very firm, and will stay on until you nub it. Overall: full-flavored, offering layers of coffee, spice, and tobacco flavors, with some chocloate, long finish. Buy a box or two if you can find them and smoke em. This is a winner. A Cuban without the price.....

nice review...need to smoke the ones I have in my humi.

Smoked one of these last night. Torpedo, not sure on the exact size. Bunch was very tight at the head, had to cut three times to get to a decent draw and even then started poking it throughout the smoke to open up the draw. Flavor was one dimensional and not very strong - despite the Ligero hype. Woody tobacco, got real bitter at the end and I put it down early.

I stored this one with my Tats & some 60% beads. The other four I have are in my main humidor at 70%. Will be interesting to see how those smoke in comparison - maybe I just got a dud or the humidity was off.

---John Holmes...

I seem to always have trouble with torps, so I avoid them now as a matter of course. But I've smoked several of the V Lancero and it's One Fine Smoke. Buddies at my local B&M have smoked the other vitolas and there's never been a bad word. :thumbs:

I tend to prefer the larger ring guages. A brother turned me on to the lancero - wow is right. Outstanding for a 4 buck cigar! I'm going to have to order some.

Thanks for the review. I really like the Series O. It is a fine cigar. I have not tried the Series V but if it is as good as the O it will be a fine cigar. :thumbs:

Smoked one of these last night. Torpedo, not sure on the exact size. Bunch was very tight at the head, had to cut three times to get to a decent draw and even then started poking it throughout the smoke to open up the draw. Flavor was one dimensional and not very strong - despite the Ligero hype. Woody tobacco, got real bitter at the end and I put it down early.

I stored this one with my Tats & some 60% beads. The other four I have are in my main humidor at 70%. Will be interesting to see how those smoke in comparison - maybe I just got a dud or the humidity was off.

---John Holmes...

A buddy and I smoked last night and he smoked the Torpedo as well and had the same experience. Extremely tight with such a small draw that he too cut it about 3 or 4 times.

i had the same thin happen to me w/ the torpedo. To bad that is my favorit shape.... However i have had a great experience w/ the Lansero. Still kinda tight roled... but no where near as tight as the torpedo. Try the lansero is is great

I dont know if it just limited to the torps...I've had a few "G" and "O" robustos and they were all pretty packed at the head. Very tight draw on all. Nevertheless, still a good cigar from what I can tell.

Even in CA this is under $10. For that price I really enjoyed it. No construction problems with the handful I've had.

Stinki

I bought 4 torpedos a few days ago, and tried the first one that night. I also had draw issues at first. After reclipping twice and gnawing on it a bit, the draw started flowing nicely. The burn was nice and even, and the flavor was sensational. The second one I smoked last night, and I clipped a bit more initially this time, and the draw was perfect from the start. Once again, the flavor was outstanding. A box of these is in my future.

I bought 4 torpedos a few days ago, and tried the first one that night. I also had draw issues at first. After reclipping twice and gnawing on it a bit, the draw started flowing nicely. The burn was nice and even, and the flavor was sensational. The second one I smoked last night, and I clipped a bit more initially this time, and the draw was perfect from the start. Once again, the flavor was outstanding. A box of these is in my future.

Hey Jay! Try cutting those Torpedos at a thirty degree slant. See how they draw then.

Smoking one right now that a fine brother from here gifted me (Thank you). Very, very nice! I think these will show some real promise with some down time.

Any truth to the rumor that Ashton approached the Olivas to do the San Cristobal, only to back out? I heard the V was going to be their presentation to Ashton to be the SC.

Spelling edit.

Well, lets just be thankful that it didn't happen if it's true because the lanceros are $4 instead of $12.

---John Holmes...

A buddy and I smoked last night and he smoked the Torpedo as well and had the same experience. Extremely tight with such a small draw that he too cut it about 3 or 4 times.

I smoked the torpedo on saturday and I also cut the smoke 3x. The draw was tight and I the flavor wasnt complex. I would agree with the woody tobacco. I wonder if the humidity was off and the stick was a little to dry

I concur. The V's are awsome. I have smoked every vitola of the V's. I love em' all especially the Lancero and the double robusto. I got hints of cocoa and coffee. Not overpowering but enough to make the smoke interesting and enjoyable. The V's are smooth and the price is right. I put them up there with the best that are twice the price.

I guess I'm the exception to the rule right now. The one I had the other day was okay taste wise but was also underfilled. I can come up with a half dozen cigars in the same price range that taste better and with better construction.

I had the "V" 6 x 60 monster on Monday night, good smoke and nice draw for me. I should have smoked it right after my dinner because it really kicked my butt. I was so light headed i had to lay down. :whistling:

I've only recently begun to appreciate the Lancero sized smokes, I picked up a few of the V's on suggestion from a BOTL and I am floored. These are simply amazing. I have only smoked 2, but neither had any sort of issue at all..........other than an over abundance of AWESOME!!!

Billy