• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Open discussion of Habano sources within "HOT cigar deals"

badhangover

This is a serious question. I am confused. I have read the rules of this cigar board and I am still left confused as to why this exemption exists. This board does not allow open discussion of Habano sources. That one is easy to understand. This board accepts advertising from select Habano vendors to offset operations costs. Kinda tweaking that rule, but I can also understand that.

What I don't understand is why Habano vendors, who are not paid advertisers of this board, are allowed to post threads of cigar specials within the "HOT cigar deals" section. Those threads come complete with their respective vendor names and links and directions to their websites.

Nobody is allowed to openly discuss Habano sources, and I can only guess that continuously flouting that rule would result in a ban. Heck, I've seen many people "flamed" for discussing much less specific information than a direct link to a Habano vendor. So why are these Habano vendors, who do not advertise on the board, allowed to post on this board? Why are their threads kept up? Why is there not an outcry to have them removed? Honestly, I simply do not understand this.

I bring this up because there is a Habano vendor who has a relatively new thread in the "HOT cigar deals" section. It is my opinion that this vendor is a pariah for the Habano cigar enthusiast community. Yet, I don't think the rules allow me to state my concerns even though I would not be the one naming the source - the source itself did that by posting their sale thread.

Is there a consensus on this? Or any interest in discussing this to reach a consensus?

It is a multinational board. Just because US members can't take advantage of the deals doesn't mean others can't also.

Yes, I realize that. But please correct me if I'm wrong here. It is my understanding that nobody, from any country of origin, is allowed to openly discuss Habano sources on this board. Why is it wrong for the individual, no matter their nationality, but okay for the vendor (who is not a paid advertiser)?

Not my board, not my rules. Rod's board, Rod's rules...and Rod Rules! :)

Please understand, I am taking no issue against the advertisers of this board. It is the random Habano vendors who just step in and post up links to their websites that cause me this wonder.

Not my board, not my rules. Rod's board, Rod's rules...and Rod Rules! :)

And I'm perfectly okay with that as well. I am.

I just think that I am posting something that is allowed to exist, even though it is against his stated rules. I have searched the board rules, and I cannot find where there is an exemption stated for non-advertising Habano vendors to discuss their wares.

Did you click the link I posted to a thread less than a month old where Rod addressed this very question?

Yes, and here is his response, which I recall reading when that thread was freshly in circulation:

This is easy...

Cost to run CP: Not cheap

Solution to help fund CP: Sell banner ads at a very reasonable rate to only reputable retailers, both foreign and domestic

Cuban products in the US: Illegal

Cuban products abroad: Legal

Discussion of Cuban sources on CP: Mixed - legal for those in foreign countries, though not legal for US residents.

Resolution: Discussion of sources on CP prohibited for all users.

Conclusion: Best way to keep CP a safe place for all.

We do not promote the sale of contraband by any means. It just so happens the retailers listed on CP have offered to help fund the site, and in turn, they cater to our international user-base.

If you are offended by this, or simply do not understand the rationale, then you're more than welcome to join another cigar board.

Regards,
Rod

I put in bold the parts that I think bolster my suspicion that a loophole has been allowed to take place. I have read posts where Rod states that open source discussion is not allowed, but if one is desirous of seeking out Habanos, that the paid advertisers are known by him to be respectable vendors. It is my opinion that not all of the vendors, who jump in and post specials without undergoing the vetting process of becoming an advertiser, are good to do business with. But their posts are kept up, and discussion unfavorable of them is not allowed.

It is my opinion that a vendor who is not a paid advertiser would fall into the "all users" category, and thus would also be precluded from discussing sources. Which translates to them being unable, by board rules, to discuss themselves and unable to post names and links to their websites.

No?

Yes, and here is his response, which I recall reading when that thread was freshly in circulation:

This is easy...

Cost to run CP: Not cheap

Solution to help fund CP: Sell banner ads at a very reasonable rate to only reputable retailers, both foreign and domestic

Cuban products in the US: Illegal

Cuban products abroad: Legal

Discussion of Cuban sources on CP: Mixed - legal for those in foreign countries, though not legal for US residents.

Resolution: Discussion of sources on CP prohibited for all users.

Conclusion: Best way to keep CP a safe place for all.

We do not promote the sale of contraband by any means. It just so happens the retailers listed on CP have offered to help fund the site, and in turn, they cater to our international user-base.

If you are offended by this, or simply do not understand the rationale, then you're more than welcome to join another cigar board.

Regards,
Rod

I put in bold the parts that I think bolster my suspicion that a loophole has been allowed to take place. I have read posts where Rod states that open source discussion is not allowed, but if one is desirous of seeking out Habanos, that the paid advertisers are known by him to be respectable vendors. It is my opinion that not all of the vendors, who jump in and post specials without undergoing the vetting process of becoming an advertiser, are good to do business with. But their posts are kept up, and discussion unfavorable of them is not allowed.

My question to you is why do you want to play jail house lawyer on this subject? It isn't your forum and you don't set the rules. Also a Internet forum is a dictatorship not a democracy. And Rod is our benevolent dictator, if he chooses to have it so, its not our right to question him. Period.

Oh, and I should say. I've seen several sale threads from non-advertiser Non Cuban vendors as well. I don't think those are against the rules. It is the non-advertiser Habano vendors who I am only referring to.

I think they are taking advantage of the board here. They step in and post specials. Only, they are not a paid advertiser so one wouldn't know how trustworthy they are. That is kept in the dark because ensuing discussion of them on their threads is not allowed. It seems to make them appear that they are vouched for by the board because of their posts left untouched. There is one vendor in particular that I think should be avoided at all costs.

It is my opinion that a vendor who is not a paid advertiser would fall into the "all users" category, and thus would also be precluded from discussing sources. Which translates to them being unable, by board rules, to discuss themselves and unable to post names and links to their websites.

No?

You’re asking this question on the one-year anniversary that you joined Cigar Pass? ???

The answer is no.

I think it would be beneficial to you if you dropped this line of inquiry. You are proposing that we change the way things are done here. This won’t end well. Too many have moved to change the rules or modify them. I’ll bottom line it for you. The rules work. It’s Rod’s board. He pays for it. We respect it.

Rod’s rules are set up for very specific reasons, and I know that you may not understand them or even agree with them, but membership with this board requires you to respect them and refrain from openly discussing sources.

This is a vibrant and growing community of cigar smokers, many of whom reside outside of the United States and vendors are welcome to come onto the board and post their sales

You might be surprised about what happens to a vendor who is known to traffic in grey market Cubans. Search is your friend and happy anniversary. :)

Oh, and I should say. I've seen several sale threads from non-advertiser Non Cuban vendors as well. I don't think those are against the rules. It is the non-advertiser Habano vendors who I am only referring to.

I think they are taking advantage of the board here. They step in and post specials. Only, they are not a paid advertiser so one wouldn't know how trustworthy they are. That is kept in the dark because ensuing discussion of them on their threads is not allowed. It seems to make them appear that they are vouched for by the board because of their posts left untouched. There is one vendor in particular that I think should be avoided at all costs.

I work with a guy who went to Penn State....dumb as a stump, too! :D

<edit - I forgot the smiley!)

My question to you is why do you want to play jail house lawyer on this subject? It isn't your forum and you don't set the rules. Also a Internet forum is a dictatorship not a democracy. And Rod is our benevolent dictator, if he chooses to have it so, its not our right to question him. Period.

I am merely asking a question, and then stating my reasons for asking it. I am not trying to rile up a board coup. I am not trying to start any type of internet cigar board war. I am merely asking what seems to me to be a loophole of this board's rules. If Rod allows it, then it stays. No doubt. I cannot bring up the question? Is that not what discussion forums are for?

I am not a "troll", but neither am I your mindless playtoy. I peruse many boards, in search of information that helps me and fellow cigar enthusiasts. You don't need to remind me that this is not my forum.

Again, I realize I do not set the rules. I am only pointing out something that I think is against the rules already in existence.

It is pretty simple. There are other vendors(Heartfelt, Cigarmony,and Killer Beans among others) who do not advertise on CP who sell other goods, not only cigars. Rod lets this occur because it increases traffic flow to the site. More traffic flow equals the opportunity in a free market to sell advertising to those that want their message heard. What part of the enterprise system is eluding you?

So what is your question? In the future why don't you PM Rod and I'm sure he would explain things to you. Why the need to call people out in this manner?

I am merely asking a question, and then stating my reasons for asking it. I am not trying to rile up a board coup. I am not trying to start any type of internet cigar board war. I am merely asking what seems to me to be a loophole of this board's rules. If Rod allows it, then it stays. No doubt. I cannot bring up the question? Is that not what discussion forums are for?

I am not a "troll", but neither am I your mindless playtoy. I peruse many boards, in search of information that helps me and fellow cigar enthusiasts. You don't need to remind me that this is not my forum.

Again, I realize I do not set the rules. I am only pointing out something that I think is against the rules already in existence.

Please read my previous post and realize that you are trolling. You already knew the answer and wanted to do the look at me post. So do yourself a favor and stop digging the hole deeper than it already is.

Before this descends into some morass I'd ask you to look at it this way. Anybody who posts "specials" that is not a supporter of the board should be looked at dubiously whether there are or not. Support vendors that support the board. Since no real discussion is taking place I don't see the loophole myself.

If none of the answers here satisfy you then just say "Thank you very much" and PM Rod directly. Might as well get the answer from the source rather then one filtered through our opinions.

It seems like he is itching to out a particular vendor who "DID HIM WRONG". And is waiting for the boards approval to do so.

If you are in the USA you should have not even of tried to obtain ILLEGAL cigars.

If you have a concern with a vendor you should contact ROD and voice your concerns to him. If he feels is is justified he can go ahead and make it public.