• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Open discussion of Habano sources within "HOT cigar deals"

If a vendor of any item, not necessarily Cuban cigars, is not on the level it will be brought out. If a vendor who is not a paying advertiser on the board is setting up shop in the Hot Deals section of the board and providing poor service or questionable product it will be addressed and they will be gone real quick.

We don't discuss good sources. We have in the past outed and named counterfeit sources, and will continue to do so. However, it must be done with much care, and by an established member. If you have an issue with a particular vendor then bring it up with a few established FOGs and/or Rod first. Don't be a troll by starting a thread like this.

And furthermore, a vendor posting specials and links to their own board is not "discussing" sources.

I see where you are coming from BadHangover, but I agree with the other FOG's in their viewpoint.

That is, if non-Habano venders (who don't pay for advertising) are OK to post in the "Cigar Deal" forums, then Habano vendors (who also don't pay for advertising) can post as well. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

That makes perfect sense to me. And even if it didn't, Rod is certainly able to make whatever rules he wishes. So I don't question it or let it bother me.

Chill out. Sit back and enjoy. Quit arguing, so far it has gone no where. Too much energy on a dead point. Next time email Rod he will be happy to answer any questions.

So what is your question? In the future why don't you PM Rod and I'm sure he would explain things to you. Why the need to call people out in this manner?
...agree completely. Rod's board / Rod's rules / Rod is the guy to PM with questions relating to the operation of the board.

Unless you have another agenda you're trying to further........ :angry:

Enough - B.B.S.

So what is your question? In the future why don't you PM Rod and I'm sure he would explain things to you. Why the need to call people out in this manner?
...agree completely. Rod's board / Rod's rules / Rod is the guy to PM with questions relating to the operation of the board.

Unless you have another agenda you're trying to further........ :angry:

Enough - B.B.S.

x3 ....... PM Rod with your questions already and stop the trolling, you do not want to continue digging this hole your getting yourself into.

:cool:

It is my opinion that a vendor who is not a paid advertiser would fall into the "all users" category, and thus would also be precluded from discussing sources. Which translates to them being unable, by board rules, to discuss themselves and unable to post names and links to their websites.

No?

You’re asking this question on the one-year anniversary that you joined Cigar Pass? ???

The answer is no.

I think it would be beneficial to you if you dropped this line of inquiry. You are proposing that we change the way things are done here. This won’t end well. Too many have moved to change the rules or modify them. I’ll bottom line it for you. The rules work. It’s Rod’s board. He pays for it. We respect it.

Rod’s rules are set up for very specific reasons, and I know that you may not understand them or even agree with them, but membership with this board requires you to respect them and refrain from openly discussing sources.

This is a vibrant and growing community of cigar smokers, many of whom reside outside of the United States and vendors are welcome to come onto the board and post their sales

You might be surprised about what happens to a vendor who is known to traffic in grey market Cubans. Search is your friend and happy anniversary. :)

Happy anniversary mate...Are you having a one year contest? :D

Sigh...

I regret the reception I have received to my thread. I suppose I opened myself up to it.

There is a vendor who posts their specials that is linked to the OFAC letters. Their customers (some of them) have been targeted by OFAC and have received both letters and penalties. Sure, it is one thing to say that USA citizens should not be purchasing Habanos, but the fact is that some do make such purchases. So far, the OFAC investigations have been targeted to one specific region, and they are there and have been targeted from the very beginning. I cringe to think of the members of this board who may not know of them being targeted and continue to silently make purchases from them.

I am a cigar enthusiast. I receive and share information with other like minded folks. That is a reason why I participate in cigar discussion forums.

Do what you will, folks. I only hoped to inform of a negative situation. I was constrained from directly stating my concern, and of who that concern was regarding, by the "no source" rule. Rod may contact me if he is of the mind to do so. I have lost the the urge to help in this matter.

Sigh...

I regret the reception I have received to my thread. I suppose I opened myself up to it.

There is a vendor who posts their specials that is linked to the OFAC letters. Their customers (some of them) have been targeted by OFAC and have received both letters and penalties. Sure, it is one thing to say that USA citizens should not be purchasing Habanos, but the fact is that some do make such purchases. So far, the OFAC investigations have been targeted to one specific region, and they are there and have been targeted from the very beginning. I cringe to think of the members of this board who may not know of them being targeted and continue to silently make purchases from them.

I am a cigar enthusiast. I receive and share information with other like minded folks. That is a reason why I participate in cigar discussion forums.

Do what you will, folks. I only hoped to inform of a negative situation. I was constrained from directly stating my concern, and of who that concern was regarding, by the "no source" rule. Rod may contact me if he is of the mind to do so. I have lost the the urge to help in this matter.

If you follow the OFAC thread. That source has been put on the do not purchase list. So I would say 50% of the members on this board are aware of the situation. And once again if you are in the USA you should not be purchasing Cigars that are illegal in this country. If you dont want to face the fines dont do the crime.

Sigh...

Contact Ginseng with details...as he's putting together the info!

Badhangover,

I'm writing a PM to you even as I type this. I hope that what I have to say will help clarify this entire situation for you.

Wilkey

Sigh...

I appreciate your intent in doing this. The assumption has been you have an axe to grind, doesn't sound like it to me.

I appreciate your intent in doing this. The assumption has been you have an axe to grind, doesn't sound like it to me.
I know BH from other forums and I have to say me neither.

I really do appreciate the intent as well. In fact, that is not too far afield from my motivation for starting the "Letters" thread. Sometimes I wish I could just post what I know in open forum, but that would not the best thing to do for a multitude of reasons. So, for those who aren't able to read between the lines, I answer PMs. A lot of them. And I don't mind really...unless the PM comes from a member who just recently registered and has 0 posts. I don't have quite that much time or patience.

Wilkey

And furthermore, a vendor posting specials and links to their own board is not "discussing" sources.

LMAO - thank you....someone finally said it!
Well .. actually they are; they are citing themselves as a source... However, it has more to do with the history of the board; where it has come from to where it is now. The OFAC Letters are a large part of where we are at today. At one point there was much less concern from an Administrator's view point, basically, this is a forum for free speech and the Admin isn't responsible for what is posted. However, once the cigar boards (yes, plural) started getting threatening letters things started tightening up and new rules started popping up. (Even though it is an International board, it is still hosted in the states) This all happened probably just prior to your joining this board, right around June/July of last year. Some things still exist that no one ever batted an eye about, and they probably still do since those vendors exist overseas.

There is the history that I am aware of; do with it what you will. That being said, this is Rod's board to set up the rules as he sees fit, and en the end, since he would be the one holding the bag, if he is ok w/ the way things are, then so am I.

Just my $.02.
- C

Sigh...

Now, I would think there is nothing wrong with posting something like this, see highlighted text above. But continuous questioning of the "open source discussion" rule is what gets to me. This questioning of the rule comes up fairly regularly as some members seem to feel it just isn't fair that they can't discuss sources openly. They are told no, you cannot do it, but for some reason they just can't accept that rule, they must know why. This reminds me of discussions I have with my kids, why can't I stay up late? why can't I come home when I want to? why can't I have friends in the house when your not home? Because you can't ........ my house, my rules, accept it and your life will be easier.

Okay, it isn't always that cut and dry but if perhaps you brought this issue up with Rod, or even Wilkey, first via PM's and presented your concerns they could have directed you in an acceptable way pass this information on along to members of this forum.

:cool:

Well .. actually they are; they are citing themselves as a source... However, it has more to do with the history of the board; where it has come from to where it is now. The OFAC Letters are a large part of where we are at today. At one point there was much less concern from an Administrator's view point, basically, this is a forum for free speech and the Admin isn't responsible for what is posted. However, once the cigar boards (yes, plural) started getting threatening letters things started tightening up and new rules started popping up. (Even though it is an International board, it is still hosted in the states) This all happened probably just prior to your joining this board, right around June/July of last year. Some things still exist that no one ever batted an eye about, and they probably still do since those vendors exist overseas.

There is the history that I am aware of; do with it what you will. That being said, this is Rod's board to set up the rules as he sees fit, and en the end, since he would be the one holding the bag, if he is ok w/ the way things are, then so am I.

Just my $.02.
- C

Citing oneself as a source for the use of our international members actually is much different than us having a discussion about it.

And discussion of sources being frowned upon has been around alot longer than a year or two. It's not just about a board owner's liability/responsibility for being a conduit for illegal activity. If you didn't know that then there's alot more history that you don't know.

There is the history that I am aware of; do with it what you will. That being said, this is Rod's board to set up the rules as he sees fit, and en the end, since he would be the one holding the bag, if he is ok w/ the way things are, then so am I. fault

Just my $.02.
- C

Citing oneself as a source for the use of our international members actually is much different than us having a discussion about it.

And discussion of sources being frowned upon has been around alot longer than a year or two. It's not just about a board owner's liability/responsibility for being a conduit for illegal activity. If you didn't know that then there's alot more history that you don't know.
I know that, and that's not what I said. The atmosphere surrounding posting of certain topics has changed dramatically over the past year. For example, take the note that Rod pinned in the Trades area, and in general the way people allude to and have to skirt around directly saying things. Wilkey's post above is a prime example. And discussing of sources and directly posting concern of a vendor can be two different things; the former is always frowned upon and the later may be depending on the circumstances. (NorCal, I love your post; that made me bust up! :) )

And citing oneself as a source IS citing a source. And in order to cite something, one would need to be involved in some form of communication, and I would think reading a post in a forum would be considered a discussion although it may only be a one way discussion. So, the only difference is that it is coming from a vendor overseas and is intended for the international clientel, which we must apparently have a shit-load of. ;)

That being said, it is what it is. If someone feels it is a hypocrisy, then s/he has the option to move on and go to another forum.

I would like to comment on a post in another thread that claimed the posts in the Hot Deals section or the banner adds somehow showed CP's endorsement of those vendors. There seems to be a serious fault in that logic. It would be like saying the yellow pages endorsed the autobody shop that just screwed me over. The banners adds and yellow pages are there to make money, so take them for what you will. .. What's Bill's saying "Let the buyer beware."? And as for the Hot Deals section, it is containment. They are cigar related information that some people might find useful, and contained to a certain area. People who have had issues with any of the vendors usually end up posting in those threads and say so. And just because I post on CP, this doesn't mean the CP endorses me, or that I am somehow vouched for by CP. ... that's just moronic. .. everyone knows I have as much integrity as Bill Clinton. ;) :p :laugh: :laugh:

Some of you folks just aren't cut out to be criminals. As my Bootlegging Granddaddy used to say, " For Christ sakes son, don't rat yourself out".

Doc.