• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opinions Please

Dice

Grow a set and stop being so paranoid!
I'm waiting on some date codes from a seller on the ERDM Choix Supreme and the R&J Exhibition #4. I've read alot about them and have been impressed with what I've read, BUT....I haven't smoked them...ever! So I was curious about what any of you who may have smoked them thought about em?

Smoked an ERDM Choix Supreme last night. It's my favorite mild ISOM. Don't really care for RyJ...Except for the tubed Churchills. An ERDM Choix Supreme with a few years on it is a treat. :thumbs:

Dice said:
I'm waiting on some date codes from a seller on the ERDM Choix Supreme and the R&J Exhibition #4. I've read alot about them and have been impressed with what I've read, BUT....I haven't smoked them...ever! So I was curious about what any of you who may have smoked them thought about em?
[snapback]290528[/snapback]​

I'm trying to be helpful so I hope you take my comments in their intended spirit. :)

If you've never had either of these...or any other sizes in these brands, perhaps a box purchase might not be the best way to go. Why not post an ISO or trade in the B/S/T forum? Alternatively, have you done the Newbie trade yet? If not, that might be a chance to score a few to try first.

As for box codes, how do you expect that information to help you? If you find a box with some age on them and you end up liking them, what will you do if aged boxes can no longer be found? IMO, an important part of getting to know a cigar is to understand what they are like starting with when they are young. That way, if they strike you as "ok" then you at least have the box to try as time goes by to see if you like them better with age.

Just some things to think about.

1. What other folks like, even the majority of folks, you might hate. The point, try extensively.
2. The best aged cigars are the ones you buy young and live and grow with over the years.

Wilkey

Ginseng said:
1. What other folks like, even the majority of folks, you might hate. The point, try extensively.
2. The best aged cigars are the ones you buy young and live and grow with over the years.

Wilkey
[snapback]290554[/snapback]​

True

I would consider the Ex 4's to be a very complex cigar at a young age. i have some 04s that are smoking like a dream for a mid day smoke. I also have a cab of 50 with the box date of 98 (NNSU VC3) These are some of the best cigars i have ever smoked.

The eRdM need some time to develop. I have given up on my cab of 50 from Mar 03,they need some more time.

both have the same body but the ex 4's are a much better cigar IMHO

hope that helps

I love a young cigar. its the only way you gonna know how it changes over time. First thing I do after they arrive, I put them in the humi and smoke one right off the bat. i dont let it rest. I am curious how it is straight out of the box after shipping so then 2 months down the road when I light another up if they last that long I have some what of a informative opinion. :)

gregor22 said:
Ginseng said:

Wilkey

True
[snapback]290602[/snapback]​

I have to agree with the above...and the rest of what Wilkey said. Try one, two, three...five first before buying a box.

As for my tastes, I enjoy the ERDM line of cigars with the petite corona being my favorite. The ERDM CS is very nice with a bit of age...a great mild Habano. As for RYJ, the tastes of the line just don't do it for me. Except, and this is a bit of a laugh, the Cazadores...it is so in your face that I just love it, RYJ flavors and all. I also liked the EL Petite Piramides, but that is a bit of a different animal.

Once again, these are My tastes and your might (and probably will) differ dramatically. My advice, try a few before you buy the box. :thumbs:

For a nice purchase there are a few good sites for samplers in various sizes and tastes.There are 5 packs and 10 pack samplers around,not to hard to find or get info from some of the members on which retailers to use.

Wilkey, Let me take a minute to respond.....

While I have not sampled these exact cigars, I HAVE had a number of ISOM R&J's which I liked and from some online reading assumed that the ELDM might be in the same boat for my taste's. It's part of my leraning process, not only do I smoke a wide and varied selection of cigars, I also like to read magazines/books and online forums to gather as much knowledge about a subject of interest that I possibly can.

Being a newbie to these forums, I doubt HIGHLY that many people would be willing to sell/trade ISOM's with someone they know absolutely nothing about! At least that has been my experience in the past on other forums. Most forum newbie trades are for cigars that you can pretty much find anywhere relatively easy. Due to the fact that I have at least 10 fifferent cigar shops within a 15 minute drive,I'm not interested in trading what I consider to be "domestic" brands.

The box codes will tell me alot as far as I'm concerned with regard to the age of the cigar. Too many a time I have bought cigars that are a bit too young and have to sit on them for at least 6 months to a year before their good enough to smoke. That isn't a bad thing since I do have some smokes that I DO like right outta the box, but when it comes to ISOM, I haven't smoked very many that did not need a couple years under their belt before they were agreeable to my palate. 2 recent box purchases that I have made need some aging, no problem, but for someone on a wee bit of a budget from time to time, it's nice to smoke em when I got em. At least until the time comes that I get up the energy to made a coolerdor!

But I guess my main premise for my post was to get people's OPINION's on the cigars in question. Any forum that I have ever been on I try and LEARN. IMHO getting people's opinions are normally a good thing. While I know that everyone's taste's are different, I also know that when I started smoking cigars the guys at the place that I started making purchases were EXTREMELY helpful with suggestions and exchanging opinions to help out a newbie, not discourage them. And amazingly enough...out of the 11 or 12 guys that were hanging around that table offering some suggestions to a newbie,roughly 9 out of the 12 had the same taste's in cigars. And since that time I have continued to hang out at that very same cigar store with my friends and help out a newbie to the store whenever I can. Sort of repay the kindness I was shown by a bunch of strangers,whom I now call friends!

Ok,

The additional information helps. Your thoughts sound right on the button.

I like the ERdM CS and at least for me, I've not kept any around long enough to experience what an aged specimen tastes like. It's on eof my favorite mild smokes. The RyJ is quite a different cigar IMO. I can't say that the Romeo profile really lights my fire with the exception of the the Churchills tubos.

Which RyJ's have you tried? That might give folks a bit more of a reference to provide opinions.

Wilkey

Here's my opinion:

ERDM Choix Supreme - one of my favorite morning smokes. Light bodied, good construction, nice floral notes to the flavor, short finish.

RyJ Exhibition #4 - least favorite Cuban robusto/hermosa no.4. Found it flat and one dimensional.

I think Wilkey's original suggestion is a good one. Try the Newbie Trade and PM the FOG next in line and let him know what you're looking to try. This way you'll be able to make a better informed decision when making a box purchase. If no one from the Newbie trade is able to help you out, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Sam

I'm really surprised by the responses. RyJ X #4s usually get a lot of good press. These were one of my first purchases. I thought they were bland and ho-hum. Six years later they're not quite as bland but still nondesript smokes IMO. I've had other RyJs and can only assume that this is not a marque for me.

The Choix, on the other hand, are very good, a milder smoke with a very pleasing taste. I've found this taste to hold throughout the entire line, but for me, seems to come out best in this size. One caveat: they do need a little aging.

As always, YMMV

Ginseng said:

Well said!

I just polished off my last RyJ Ex #4 this morning. It was a good cigar and had a nice strong finish. Given a choice between it and a BBF, I'd take the BBF any day of the week. The #4 was good and I wouldnt mind replacing the ones I smoked but I can think of other cigars I'd rather have. :D

I have a box of ex #4's from '02 and while I like them a lot I have to say that the CS I have from the same year are much better. I really love the Choix's, they're my favorite morning smoke.

My experience with RyJ EX 4's are from 1998 Cabinets only. They are a fantastic cigar when aged properly, full of flavor and very complex with some decent nose.

Choix Supremes is a cigar I have only smoked a few times, but each time I was impressed with it's smoothness and rich flavors. Not a lot of nose, but still enough to keep you interested.

Thanks for the input. Since I never got the date codes from the vendor and was only able to procure 1 R&J #4 (Thanks Votak). I ended up getting a 10 pack of R&J Churchills Tubed and a box of H Uppman Mag 46's.

I still wanna give the Choix Supreme a shot...maybe next time.

Ohh... That one was from dress box from 2004. I recently got a a couple from the 2003 and 2001 cabs... And these had more "thick" flavour. Just delicious.
I'd say I really like all of them and will try to maintain availability of 1-2 old cigars from dress boxes as well.
I have never tried CS though... So I cannot compare, sorry