• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opinions wanted

qballizhere

I have been looking at getting a few cubans and wanted to know what you all thought about them here is my list

LA FLOR DEL CANO SELECTOS
PUNCH MARGARITAS
COHIBA SIGLO II
SAN LUIS REY PETIT CORONAS
SAN CRISTOBAL El Principe
ROMEO CORONITAS EN CEDRO
PARTAGAS 8.9.8
PARTAGAS MILLE FLEURS
DIPLOMATICOS No.4
COHIBA SIGLO III
BOLIVAR TUBOS No.2
PUNCH PUNCH
MONTECRISTO No.4
JOSE L PIEDRA CREMAS
JUAN LOPEZ PETIT CORONAS
TRINIDAD COLONIALES

Smoke every cigar you can get our hands on and in time, you will know what you like.

Brian

Order a sampler of singles, try them all, and then form your own opinion(s). This ubiquitous questions is akin to asking a group of mustard enthusiasts their opinions of various brands of dijon mustard. Taste is subjective and to each their own.

I wonder if there are mustard forums out there.... :whistling:

p.s. To be fair, and to partially satisfy your question, there is always this review site. It used to hold some sway for me like the cA reviews used to. Now, unless a cigar untried by me receives a resounding thumbs up or down consensus, I pay zilch attention to reviews or public opinion. Your taste (and to a lessor degree your sense of value) is entirely your own. Besides, unless the whole world agrees an unfamiliar cigar tastes like ---, what's the harm in trying something new anyway.

This site doesn't offer opinions!

:laugh:

oh yea...what they said.

Of course we do offer opinions... but you know what they say about them. :)

I will offer mine, which is surprisingly similar to all the others: Try them all and decide what suits you. Don't think it lasts forever either, tastes and cigars change with time. The good news is you can usually trade or sell quality cigars you no longer love.

Happy smoking!

Marcos

This is a shotgun (with a skeet choke) request for opinion and you should expect a large pattern of answers.

I have been looking at getting a few cubans and wanted to know what you all thought about them here is my list

La Flor Del Cano Selectos
Punch Margaritas
Cohiba Siglo Ii
San Luis Rey Petit Coronas
San Cristobal El Principe
Romeo Coronitas En Cedro
Partagas 8.9.8
Partagas Mille Fleurs
Diplomaticos No.4
Cohiba Siglo Iii
Bolivar Tubos No.2
Punch Punch
Montecristo No.4
Jose L Piedra Cremas
Juan Lopez Petit Coronas
Trinidad Coloniales
was going to get 3-5 of each just wanted to know what others thought
Have you done a search? I'm sure a few of those will come up in a search of this or the Reviews forum.

Don't be too put off by the repeated calls to "try them for yourself." Of course this is what you're planning to do and is a fine way to go about it. But also don't be misled by the opinion that no one else's opinion or experience matters but your own. Even in matters of subjective pleasure such as the smoking of cigars, there will be those whose opinions and tastes are either more or less like our own. The reason there are cigar forums is so that we can talk about our experiences and in so doing, gain some insight into our own tastes as well as the ways our tastes are like and unlike that of others.

Why is this of benefit? Because especially for the beginner, the range of things to try is simply overwhelming. You have to take your time and smoke mindfully otherwise you risk blowing through a dozen new cigars and ending up with no idea of what you liked and why. Getting some advice as to basic characteristics of cigars is of benefit. Opinions on some cigars will converge while other cigars will elicit a bewildering range of reactions. Part of developing as a smoker is developing oneself within the community of smokers and that means looking for those opinions and ideas that can benefit us as we grow. Beware of indefensible, casual opinions proffered as common sense without justification or thought. Be attentive to considered, critical, helpful opinions and ideas.

If the experiences of others truly carried no currency, then the reviews section would essentially be nothing more than a place for pretty words, adjectives, and pictures of half-burned cigars. And I this, I refuse to believe.

BTW, I write this as much for you and others who might be in the same position as for myself. If it's too many words, then just pass it by. You're picking up some of each stick so I hope that you'll report back on your experiences...perhaps it'll help the next less newbier newbie. Also, the range of cigars you've selected is enormous. I would recommend selecting maybe just 2 or 3 to focus on at a time. Keep notes, reflect on your experience, make connections. Learning, memory, experience...it's all about making connections.

Wilkey

PS. A couple of periods and some capitalization would be nice. If you expect people to take the time to give you helpful advice and guidance, then show that their effort is justified and will be appreciated.

p.s. To be fair, and to partially satisfy your question, there is always this review site. It used to hold some sway for me like the cA reviews used to. Now, unless a cigar untried by me receives a resounding thumbs up or down consensus, I pay zilch attention to reviews or public opinion. Your taste (and to a lessor degree your sense of value) is entirely your own. Besides, unless the whole world agrees an unfamiliar cigar tastes like ---, what's the harm in trying something new anyway.
[/quote]

I like this.....good advice!

Rich

ps to edit I remeber what someone here told me :whistling:
you seek the destination without having experienced the journey, grasshopper.........

Picking up a few singles of each is probably the best route, although you'll get hosed on the prices usually when you buy singles. But to really throw a wrench in your works, will you know the box codes, or at least the dates on the singles you get? Many of the smokes you listed are great cigars, after a year or two of aging. Many of them are great right away. I would hate for you to get a few Siglo II's or III's that are 6 months old, smoke them and absolutely hate them, when that same cigar with 12 months or 18 months is an entirely different creature.

And of course be sure of your source.

[
I think CA reviews of isom's are very close to the truth . Cigar -review.org site has a lot of diffrent less proffesional reviews sometimes going places no cigar i smoked ever went before . I dont know where the hell they are getting some flavors out of some cheap ass blunt sticks .

I respect you for your opinion, but I must admit to being a bit shocked at your preliminary statement. cA, much like its sister publication, Wine Spectator, receives very little love from enthusiasts of its audience. I humbly suggest ECCJ to you for what I consider to be even more accurate reviews than cA offers. But this is only my opinion, and to each our own.

And I'm curious what "cheap ass blunt sticks" you are referring to. Me, I can relate closer to the common man's no holds barred genuine review of a product (but still prefer my own opinion :thumbs: ) rather than a "professional" reviewer who tosses their cigars out after judging it solely by its first few puffs.

Really, just what are those cheap ass blunts on that site? Sure, they're not all millennium jar cigars, but they do comprise a fair representation of the everyday cigars for many - with a good deal of special cigar reviews tossed in for good measure.

What strength do you like? I generally like a full strength stogie. In my limited experience with cc's I have found Partagas and Bolivars to be in this category. I would definitely spend as much time or more into making sure that the stogies are legit versus deciding between legit cc's. Most of the fakes I have bought I have not liked taste wise, but all the legits I have liked taste wise whether they are full strength stogies or not....I don't know if I am making any sense....cheers

One man whose advice you should ALWAYS strongly consider, is Wilkey's. In the 10 months I've been here I've found his posts, reviews, advice, etc. to be among the most helpful and most insightful.

With that said, take others' opinions into account, but in the end you'll just have to take the time to smoke and smoke again as many cigars as you're curious about and you'll start to develop your own tastes.

Just as I can sit here and tell you that right now the Tatuaje Havana VI Nobles is my all around favorite smoke, I've seen lots of posts by people on this board who really don't like them. So am I wrong because I don't have the same opinion as smokers with more experience than me? Hell no, I'm gonna keep on smokin em ;)

Back