• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus Power Ranger

LOCAL669

Smoked a power ranger today and let me say I was disapointed big time. I had talked the smoke up all day to a new smoker, who I also gave one to, and was speechless about the lack of flavor or body we got from the stog. I have smoked a million opus and never had one this bad. It almost seemed to be fake. I did buy the sticks myself a very well-known shop so maybe I just got a few bad ones.

Better luck next time.

Happy Holidays CP

Nobody's perfect, bud. Every once in a while even Fuente can be off on a cigar. Do let it deter you. Everyone I've smoked has left me sleeping on the floor (or wherever I was smokin' it) and waking up with a wonderful cigar after taste in my mouth :D

I have smoked my share of them, and like everything thing else you get some bad ones. Overall, they are little powerhouses, I had one that gave me the head swims. Do not give up.

Sounds like you got a lemon. Rinse and repeat, let us know how it goes.

Looking at others that I have, the wrapper do not look the same. The ones I smoked didn't have that spotty darkish appearance. They had a somewhat uniform lighter wrapper, any comments. I did buy the stick from a popular shop in Philly so I don't think it was a fake or anything.

I definetly understand that no one is perfect. I have enjoyed many opus in the past, never a power ranger though.
I will give em another shoot, maybe my taste buds were havin a bad day.

give 'em some down time, fresh Opus are not that good, Opus with a year on them are very good, 2-3 years they tame down but have lots of different flavors, very complex.

The only ones I like are the Power Rangers and the Petit Lanceros. I've had a few bad ones of each. The Power Rangers seem to smoke better at lower RH.

I've had about two great Opus and a bunch of crappy ones...Now I just stock up when I can and enjoy looking at them in the humi. I figure in a few years I'll be sitting on some real gold. :cool:

I had one of these today. It was perfect, just like it always is. Perhaps you just picked a dud. Let's hope it's not contagious.

Stink

give 'em some down time, fresh Opus are not that good, Opus with a year on them are very good, 2-3 years they tame down but have lots of different flavors, very complex.

And I disagree as far as the power rangers go. I like them sap dripping fresh.

LOCAL669, It sounds like you got a bum cigar, I love the xXx, and I'm almost sure the next one you smoke you'll like.

I love Opus X but I'm not a big fan of these. Unlike Wurm, I don't like fresh Opus X but that's just me.

I do remember that the first time I smoked a Power Ranger, I bought it fresh from the shop and smoked it in the car on the way home and it was too wet, burned crooked and was a bad deal, similar to yours.

My favorites are the Reserva D'Chateaus.

I love Opus X but I'm not a big fan of these. Unlike Wurm, I don't like fresh Opus X but that's just me.

I do remember that the first time I smoked a Power Ranger, I bought it fresh from the shop and smoked it in the car on the way home and it was too wet, burned crooked and was a bad deal, similar to yours.

My favorites are the Reserva D'Chateaus.

I only like the power rangers fresh Bill, the rest need to sit for at least a year. And when I say fresh I mean as soon as they have had time to settle in my 65% humidor. I've never had one "fresh from the shop" considering I always have to arrange a way to get them over here :whistling:

Smoking any Opus too wet would probably suck.

My favorite two Opus are the Fuente Fuente and the xXx, but I'd smoke any size handed to me ;)

And I disagree as far as the power rangers go. I like them sap dripping fresh.

LOCAL669, It sounds like you got a bum cigar, I love the xXx, and I'm almost sure the next one you smoke you'll like.

I agree bro
So far for me the only Opus that needs to be smoked fresh.
Still tasting so I guess it is "work in progress" for the rest of the Opus range

Not a huge fan of the Power Rangers. They are not bad but I would take #4s or Fuente Fuentes over the Power Rangers any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Like others have said, let them sit awhile - in my experience fresh OpusX are, as a general rule, not as good as OpusX with year or two on them.

I had a similar experience with the Oct/Nov shipment of Opus, I picked up a bunch XXX and the first couple I had were not great, so they're aging now.

My favorites by far are the #4 and #5, I could smoke those everyday...couple times a day!

ya i love these. If u have another 1 u dont like send'em my way these are one of my fav opus

Never had one of these, but I do have one sitting (courtesy of a lucky guess in a contest). The #5s always wow me and make me a little woozy, even. I'm hoping the #4s and petite lanceros are like the #5s, but haven't had a chance to smoke them yet. The other sizes I've smoked were just okay.

---John Holmes...

I smoked one last night that SS left me this year, it seemed to have a goodly amount of age. It was excellent, but not GREAT as the other aged Opus vitolas I have had. I had eaten a full dinner first and for the most part I am nicotine immune, but I could sense the strength of this little bastard.

I noticed that my first sample of these right out of the wrapper didn't really burn or tasted right. So, I got rid of the cello and let them rest a few.
They, needed to release a bit of the extra wetness from the factory.
Love these they are a real nice spicey "Power House", for a quick smoke.