• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X Fuente Fuente

DarrenR

I swear I am number 8!
:D
Brand: Fuente Fuente
Name: Opus X
Size: 5.58 inch
Ringe: 46
Wrapper leaf: Dominican Republic
Binder leaf: Dominican Republic
Filler leaf: Dominican Republic

Ok, so I will start by setting the mood. The kids are at the grandparents. We came back from an awsome dinner of crusted scallops with red pepper pasta and lump lobster meat with a shrimp sauce (yah it was that good)LOL. We came home sat in some chairs outside with a vodka tonic and talked. Those with kids know how hard that is most of the time, so this is special.
Now for the smoke. It was intended for me to go with a No.4 but this smoke was the oldest Opus I have ever smoked. I recived it in a pass in late 2001. Yes, I kept it that long because I don't get many of them so I do hold them for special times.
Start time: 8:45
Prelight: Smooth, oily just plain pretty cigar. Wonderful woody smell with a hint of pepper. I think the wrapper was alittle darker than I have seen on them in the past. Walnut brown color with darker browns fading in from the leafs edge. At this point my wife is stairing at me like I have 5 eyes because I am sniffing and inspecting my smoke. :laugh:
The Light:The cut was perfect. No fraying at all. I used matches to light it. At this point the cigar deserves nothing else but matches.
The pure white smoke plummed off in volumes very quickly. It started alittle uneven but that did not last long.
The smoke: SPICE!!!!! I thought age would have mellowed it. PEPPER, PEPPER maybe leather. I will admit the first 1/2 inch was rough for me. Very full bodied and powerfull. Then I think it hit it's stride running. The spice mellowed and this wonderful nut/wood came to the surface maybe even some cinnamon. The ash was as white as the smoke and very tightly ringed. The smoke still poors out like mad. The power at times reached an amount that I do not usualy enjoy but those moments mellowed and did not stay long. The flavors and aromas never changed again. The aroma never lost the spicy/leather that I must admit is very nice just to smell. My wife would argue with me on that one. :laugh:
End Time: 10:10
Overall: Since I do not have access to many of these I am not a Opus head. I have never been 100% impressed with them. This one however has changed most of my opinion. I am not sure if the age made that big of a difference but this was one of the top 5 cigars I have ever had. I have one more younger one of these I will need to smoke within the month to see if the age is the difference. Did this take over for the PAM exclusivo or the Anejo 46. I would say no but what it did do for me is make me think I may want to try and hunt some more of these down. This was a top notch smoke! :thumbs:
Thanks for reading
DarrenR

Nice review, Darren.

Your experience mirrors mine. Don't start smoking too many Opii with age though...it just might give you the craving something awful. ;)

Wilkey

Great review Darren, I might have to fire one of my 1yr olds today. Congrats on the Special night.

Nice review. I haven't smoked an Opus with any age, looking forward to it.

Happy to hear the the night was special.

Very nice review and summation, thanks!

Brian

Definitely one of my favorite Opus is the Fuente Fuente.

Great review Darren

DarrenR - great review.

PAM / PAN's and Opies, to me, are like apples and oranges. Damn good apples and oranges, to be sure, but very different. The 64's and 26's for me smoke smooth, rich, powerful with lots of "dark" flavors where the Opies are spicy monsters. Both are fantastic but very different smokes. Choice is good.... :thumbs:

Age doesn't hurt either of 'em, I'm finding out.... :cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

Great review. The Fuente Fuente is my favourite vitola of the Opus line, but I've never had the patience to age them. You have a lot of will power. :thumbs:

Happy Anniversary and great review Darren. Glad you have an enjoyable evening and that aged opie was there to help. :thumbs:

Nice review! Glad you enjoyed is so much. The age on Opus make a huge difference. The one you smoked will be a lot different, and better than a fresh one. I really try to avoid smoking fresh ones although this '06 batch is very good for being so fresh, much better that the '05s when they were fresh. But the '05s are smoking pretty damn good right now, still not fully up to par though. IMO there is not many better smokes than an aged Opus.

Good luck finding more!! :thumbs:

tks for the review. I've never had one that old, but the opus x fuente fuente has been my favorite so far. so, I guess I'm fine with them being fresh. couple of months is all the more I can let them sit. I've had a few robusto size as well, but the fuente fuente has more kick (imo).

Darren ya nooooob! :laugh:

My observations are very similar to yours. Since I usually don't have the patience to age any cigars, let alone these, I've smoked very few aged Opus X. In my limited experience, the aged ones I have smoked are more mellow than those with less age.

I've also found the larger rings, like the Reserva D'Chateau, the DC and the "A" to be less powerful than the smaller ones like the Fuente Fuente you smoked for this review.

I really do enjoy these cigars! :thumbs:

Good review. My impression was like yours, very spicy at first and almost overpowering. Did generate a buzz toward the end. Powerful smoke! :thumbs: