• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X Maduro BBMF

Putz Mulligan

shhhhhh, cigar learning in process!
I had the pleasure of acquiring an Opus X Maduro BBMF through the generosity of one of our illustrious members with the condition that I post a review today. I was more than happy to oblige and below is the result. The BOTL who gifted the cigar requested to remain nameless. He shows what an amazing place Cigar Pass is in the unmitigated generosity that lies in abundance here. Thank you and you know who you are!!

Cigar name: Opus X Maduro BBMF
aka: "Maduro Big Bad Mother Fucker" / "64 ring-gauged figurado"
Vitola: 6 ½" x 64
Wrapper: Connecticut broadleaf maduro
Binder: Opus X rosado
Filler: Opus X blend
Released: unreleased, c.2006, also @ CFC 2007 and the 2007 Opus 22 set
Quantity: ~80 @ CFC 2007, 500 for the 2007 Opus 22 set
Rarity: 4/10

(Above courtesy of www.vitolas.net)

Smoke time: 1 ½ Hours

Pre-Light and First Third

The construction is beautiful with no defects! The appearance is dark, oily and free of blemishes. The flower was in excellent condition as well. Overall a very well constructed cigar. The feeling of holding it between the index and second finger indicated the bulbous end and great things to come.

2839270654_e108d58f90.jpg

2838438147_6146119daa.jpg

Holding it to my nose I could detect a slight hint of juniper berry and leather.

I clipped the flower and laid it aside to ponder how they made this while I enjoyed the cigar. The dry draw seemed a bit tight but the leather essence was prevalent. I torched the foot and began to draw confirming my fear that it was plugged. Undeterred, I puffed away in the hopes that my efforts would be rewarded. I was laboring so much to get it going I failed to detect any flavors but pressed on. My efforts paid off once past the small foot into the bulb and large plumes of smoke were produced with a very easy draw. The first thought that came to mind was “smooth” and hints of leather and juniper berry were predominant. There was a bit of uneven burn but I felt I would let the cigar prove its worth and let nature take its course.

2839270836_c08311e5a6.jpg

2838438323_2ab7564b7c_b.jpg

Second Third

The transition from the first third and second third provided me with hints of anise and dark chocolate. No great quantities of smoke were being produced with little effort. This little filly had taken the bit and all I could do was hold on for the ride! Definitely some “giddy up and go”! The uneven burn began to correct itself as I’d had hoped it would. Slight hints if currant, tarragon and basil began to creep in with tobacco flavor as the canvas. This was starting to kick ass!

The ash was holding up extremely well at this point and I had visions of perhaps one hell of an ash stand. I pondered how with the small tip to use as a foundation? Alas it was not to be as a dull “thud” was heard from the ash landing on the grass.

2839271020_1ef4cbd935.jpg

2838438641_83e59cfd80.jpg

Final Third

Now my body was humming with the nicotine fix I was not used to as the BBMF portion of the cigar became quite obvious. From here on out there was tingling all over. Flavors of nutty tobacco, dark chocolate and espresso started to come into play. As I was creating a “cavern” in my mouth while exhaling through my nose some ammonia essence was peeking through but dissipated when I exhaled through my nose without the cavern. It was interesting yet not unpleasant.

The ash began its firm hold once again and did not drop off from when it last fell to the green grass. Solid, solid, solid!

I nubbed it!

2838439073_2aa0c22a3d.jpg

2839272034_d285f2fb10.jpg

2838439979_9b91c8dcfe.jpg

Final Thoughts

I will admit that with the early plug issues and draw issues I was being setup for a major disappointment. I feared I was going to be forced to share an unfortunate experience and alas set the cigar down, cry a bit and bestow the sad news to my benefactor. Fortunately, this did not come to pass and the cigar performed beautifully! I loved this cigar for the flavor profiles it carried me through. Much like a pasta dinner that fills you only to leave you hungry within the hour I was left wanting more. I will keep my eyes peeled for any opportunity to acquire another if I am so fortunate. I would recommend the Opus X Maduro BBMF to anyone looking for a “giddy up and go” experience.

2839272898_f75d4b1140.jpg

Nice review Charlie, sounds like a fantastic smoke!

Very sweet review Charlie!! When I called you, you never mentioned that you were gonna smoke a MADURO BBMF! Good job.

Now to actually FIND one of these stinkin' things so I can try smoking it! :thumbs:

Wicked review mate.
Ive got a BBMF resting at the moment. I am hanging to smoke the beast now, but will wait for summer to really heat up. :p

I smoked one about 3 months ago, thought it was incredible, the Anejo wrapper on the Opus blend is phenomenal, not sure why they don't do more?

Awesome review of an awesome smoke! Much appreciated Charlie!

Very entertaining review! These beauties are quite difficult to find. It's even more difficult getting the gumption to light one up. Thanks for sharing the experience :thumbs:

I smoked one about 3 months ago, thought it was incredible, the Anejo wrapper on the Opus blend is phenomenal, not sure why they don't do more?

I thought the Opus Maduro used a different maduro wrapper than the Anejo?
B

Very nice review young man. I smoked one a while back and my experience mirrored yours in regards to the initial tight draw. I had mine at 68-69 RH and thought that was the reason, all these heavy leaf figurado shapes I'm dry boxing a bit now before smoking them to see if that solves the issue.

I have only one question....where do I go to sniff some Juniper Berries?

Ye Old IP

PS: did you pee a lot while smoking it? :laugh:

Great review! I have been wanting to try one of these for a while but alas, I can't get my hands on one at the moment... Maybe one day ???

Thanks for the review bro. Nice pics and write up.

The BBMF remains one of the best cigars I've ever had. I haven't had the maduro version, but there's no doubt it would be as good if not better.

Can I just make a copy of your review and post it again regarding my experience? I just smoked one of mine a few weeks ago at the CRA event and really enjoyed it. I also had the fear that it was plugged at first, but it's not, it has to do with the shape of the cigar. The first few puffs you are trying to pull through the tiny nipple at the end, so naturally it's very tough, but as soon as you burn past that and into the main body of the cigar the draw was perfect.

It always sucks when something is ultra-hyped and then turns out to be a dud, sounds like this lived up to the expectations. Great review, Charlie!

WoW Charlie! Great review, so descriptive it has me drooling. :D
One day.... I too will have the opportunity to smoke a BBMF Maduro!

I thought the Opus Maduro used a different maduro wrapper than the Anejo?
B

Welcome back GATOR!

From what I recall it is not an Anejo wrapper. Moki???

Great review Charlie! Your comments about the strength make me wonder if I should smoke mine or if another BOTL would enjoy it more.

Very nice! Thanks for letting us live vicariously through your experience. :thumbs: