• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ordered new Wineador

I just ordered 3 shelves for my wineador and lead time is 5 weeks. I'm using reverse psychology by expecting delivery in 20 weeks so when/if it comes early I will be pleasantly suprised.

cigars&coffee said:
I just ordered 3 shelves for my wineador and lead time is 5 weeks. I'm using reverse psychology by expecting delivery in 20 weeks so when/if it comes early I will be pleasantly suprised.

Very smart of you :laugh:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12067]

I added two pounds of 70% HF beads, one pound at the top and and one at the bottom and maintained consistent 68/68 for a few days with some boxes in the winedor.  After adding my other boxes from the coolidor and filling up the wineador the humidity has fluctuated several times between 59%-72%.  Anyway, I grabbed cigars today for the Superbowl contest and discovered a large amount of water on the box of Padron.  Inside the cigars were wet and moist, so i took them out.  The box was located on the middle shelf of the winedor, and I remembered to leave space so it didn't touch the back wall, but now I'm thinking it must have been.  Here is a pic and are these cigars salvageable? 

I'm logged in, but when try to click get an error

cigars&coffee said:

I added two pounds of 70% HF beads, one pound at the top and and one at the bottom and maintained consistent 68/68 for a few days with some boxes in the winedor.  After adding my other boxes from the coolidor and filling up the wineador the humidity has fluctuated several times between 59%-72%.  Anyway, I grabbed cigars today for the Superbowl contest and discovered a large amount of water on the box of Padron.  Inside the cigars were wet and moist, so i took them out.  The box was located on the middle shelf of the winedor, and I remembered to leave space so it didn't touch the back wall, but now I'm thinking it must have been.  Here is a pic and are these cigars salvageable? 

Am trying to click on image and view close up, but get an error message.- Sorry, you don't have permission for that.

Anyhow, I'm thinking the water is condensation - that possibly traveled along some sort of surface and dripped down on the box.

I would try to salvage them, blot if necessary, put in good spot for consistent humidity and then let them rest around six months or so. They may look funky but still smoke fine.

The larger question is how do you prevent a re-occurrence.

I suggest raising the temp of the wineador or keeping it at 68 if that's where it is, and if possible, keep the ambient (room) temp as close to 68 as you can so the unit will run less.

Also, it has been my experience that if you are filling a new wineador from a coolidor it will take months for everything to stabilize fully.

try to keep an eye on it to see if the temperature remains stable or if the unit thermostat is inconsistent. My small wineador Tstat did pretty well and then gradually became inconsistent. I have read where others posted that theirs was inconsistent from the get-go.

Due to inconsistent tstat readings, and the fact that one of the winedors resets to 55 degrees or something like that on power outages - I have both wineadors powered thru Johnson A419 units

one example

http://www.brewinternational.com/a419-refrigerator-or-freezer-thermostat-digital-temperature-controller/?gclid=CMuO6-HdysACFU4F7AodNEkAAg

I did not purchase from there, and am not recommending that company and just providing a link so that you can see the units I am using.

More stable temperature means more consistent running and less condensation, generally.

Whatever, these units are slick and work well. Someone here at cigarpass recommended them to me.

Dude!!!

That is such a bummer, I'd blot them and set them on a grated shelf like that of an oven to let them dry... no sense in throwing them out.  They may turn around...never know!

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12067]

Posting this pic again, not sure why it is blocked.  I see it on my computer.

personal User said:
I'm logged in, but when try to click get an error

Am trying to click on image and view close up, but get an error message.- Sorry, you don't have permission for that.

Anyhow, I'm thinking the water is condensation - that possibly traveled along some sort of surface and dripped down on the box.

I would try to salvage them, blot if necessary, put in good spot for consistent humidity and then let them rest around six months or so. They may look funky but still smoke fine.

The larger question is how do you prevent a re-occurrence.

I suggest raising the temp of the wineador or keeping it at 68 if that's where it is, and if possible, keep the ambient (room) temp as close to 68 as you can so the unit will run less.

Also, it has been my experience that if you are filling a new wineador from a coolidor it will take months for everything to stabilize fully.

try to keep an eye on it to see if the temperature remains stable or if the unit thermostat is inconsistent. My small wineador Tstat did pretty well and then gradually became inconsistent. I have read where others posted that theirs was inconsistent from the get-go.

Due to inconsistent tstat readings, and the fact that one of the winedors resets to 55 degrees or something like that on power outages - I have both wineadors powered thru Johnson A419 units

one example

http://www.brewinternational.com/a419-refrigerator-or-freezer-thermostat-digital-temperature-controller/?gclid=CMuO6-HdysACFU4F7AodNEkAAg

I did not purchase from there, and am not recommending that company and just providing a link so that you can see the units I am using.

More stable temperature means more consistent running and less condensation, generally.

Whatever, these units are slick and work well. Someone here at cigarpass recommended them to me.
Thanks for the advice and think I will get the unit you are suggesting.   

cigars&coffee said:

If yours resets to a default temperature that is too low during a power outage, it's probably worth the bucks for that alone.

These controls are surprisingly adjustable with a variety of settings.

If you do get one, I suggest setting a one degree temperature differential. I originally tried two degrees because one degree seemed extreme but one degree actually works great and is not as extreme as it sounds. Particularly on Peltier cooling. if you are using a compressor cooled system you can set the delay for restart at oh, five minutes or so to prevent short cycling before the sealed system has had time to equalize.

I have both types of cooling and find those controls quite satisfactory. They are really pretty slick. Seemed expensive, but have been well worth it to me.

personal User said:

If yours resets to a default temperature that is too low during a power outage, it's probably worth the bucks for that alone.

These controls are surprisingly adjustable with a variety of settings.

If you do get one, I suggest setting a one degree temperature differential. I originally tried two degrees because one degree seemed extreme but one degree actually works great and is not as extreme as it sounds. Particularly on Peltier cooling. if you are using a compressor cooled system you can set the delay for restart at oh, five minutes or so to prevent short cycling before the sealed system has had time to equalize.

I have both types of cooling and find those controls quite satisfactory. They are really pretty slick. Seemed expensive, but have been well worth it to me.

Which part of your humidor did you place the temperature sensor? I have been trying to figure out where it would best to place mines as I have drawers in some of the wineadors.
Also, thank you for suggesting the one degree temperature differential. I was thinking about doing two degrees.

I placed my probes roughly centered on the back wall of the wineadors. I do not have drawers, have some trays in the smaller peltier unit.

the one with the peltier cooler is slightly higher than center because I took the probe and line thru a drain hole that penetrated the unit there.

The compressor unit, I centered the active humidification sensor in middle back center and put the temp probe an inch or two to the side.

Anywhere roughly centered should work fine. In the case where you have drawers, I would try to position where I would have the most air flow over the probe. Probably would position the probe horizontally instead of vertical due to the drawers.

I sealed the holes with something called permagum. Used that because I had some on hand left over from another project. I choose that because it makes a good seal but is easy to remove. I don't think I would want to use silicone sealer or something that would be hard to remove. Not worth buying a block of permagum for just that purpose, any reasonable sealer that can be removed without too much effort should be fine.

Thank you. That helped. I corked my drain holes and then added electrical tape over them. I also placed a pound of beads right on top of them to catch any condensation that might run down.

I want to run the probes through the drain holes so I will have to use some kind of sealer as you did.

It appears my cigars are dried out, so I put them back in the winedor.  I also found a temperature control unit and with all the good info here it should be fairly easy to setup.  

personal User said:
I placed my probes roughly centered on the back wall of the wineadors. I do not have drawers, have some trays in the smaller peltier unit.

the one with the peltier cooler is slightly higher than center because I took the probe and line thru a drain hole that penetrated the unit there.

The compressor unit, I centered the active humidification sensor in middle back center and put the temp probe an inch or two to the side.

Anywhere roughly centered should work fine. In the case where you have drawers, I would try to position where I would have the most air flow over the probe. Probably would position the probe horizontally instead of vertical due to the drawers.

I sealed the holes with something called permagum. Used that because I had some on hand left over from another project. I choose that because it makes a good seal but is easy to remove. I don't think I would want to use silicone sealer or something that would be hard to remove. Not worth buying a block of permagum for just that purpose, any reasonable sealer that can be removed without too much effort should be fine.

I just ordered the Johnson A419 unit.  What did you use to attach the sensor to the wall of the cooler?  

In all this, I just used what I had on hand.

Had some clips quite similar to this, may or may not have been this particular clip this is just an illustrative picture that I readily found. Not sure the dimensions of this particular one will work correctly.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Nail-In-Video-Cable-Clips-20-Pack-73502/202698897

I've got several varieties of these hanging around, one of them was a perfect fit for the probe.

Pulled the nail out of the clip, found a screw the correct dimensions to replace the nail.

Secured to back panel with screw. Be certain screw doesn't do any damage to something when penetrating. Shouldn't be a problem, but if not a peltier unit there could be a refrigerant line, or possibly wiring that can't readily be seen, etc.

Perfect. I have a peltier unit and will grab some clips from Home Depot.  The unit arrives on Wednesday, so hopefully I will have some time to install it.   

whylieineedacigar said:

Very smart of you :laugh:
Unfortunately, I still have not received my shelves I ordered back in August, however, I received a refund. The only thing worse than bad luck is no luck. Now on to plan B.

Meant to reply to this a couple of days ago and got busy.

I'm somewhat to the point that If I did it over again, I would just go with boxes and no trays. Granted, my trays were not custom, but were an  excellent fit for the 32 bottle wineador and seemed fine to me.

Has worked great in the big wineador, and the boxes seem to help stabilize humidity.

Not as cool, little pride of ownership, and you sometimes have to open a box of mixed to remember everything in there.

Works for me. But, I did have a number of boxes on hand to put into service.