• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron 3000 Maduro

The Green Monkey

Brap-brap
Disclaimer: This is my first review other than my personal notes scribbled in my journal, so please forgive any oversights...

After 10 days of restraint, I finally succumbed to the sweet siren song of the sticks Seadub sent me in the NST.

I fired up a 2 year old Padron 3000 Maduro. It was my first experience with an aged cigar.

I was absolutely blown away. Without a doubt the most pleasant, enjoyable, and sublime cigar I've had thus far. I decided well before I was halfway through that it was so good I was going to smoke it down to nothing so I went in the house to get a paperclip.

The construction was top notch, with the stick retaining the rectangularity of the box pressing all the way to the end. Very even burn throughout, no fiddling or touching up required. The ash seemed substantial enough that I was tempted to try to hold the cigar by it at one point.

The first third was very creamy and mellow, with thick, rich, abundant smoke throughout. The taste changed after about a third to an intermingled mixture of leather, coffee, wood, and an uncharacterizable sweetness. The flavor built and built, with a very mild spicy sweetness emerging around the last quarter, finishing with a more pronounced sweetness at the nub.

I think I stopped one puff short of burning myself. I wish it had been a foot longer. I can't believe it's a $4 cigar. I was still basking in some strange sense of satisfied afterglow for several hours afterwards, and it made me feel warm and fuzzy inside just thinking about it the following morning.

I PMed Seadub to tell him how much I enjoyed it, and to ask whether he thought that the deliciousness was more of a function of the cigar or the age on it, and inquired whether he thought that I was setting myself up for disappointment by hoping that any subsequent fresh 3000s from my B&M would measure up. He pointed out that there was only one way to find out, and that I ought to smoke a fresh one as soon as possible.

I stopped by my shop the next afternoon and picked up four, and they were the first ones out of the box, so presumably they were at about the freshest end of the spectrum that I'll ever likely find. I went home and fired one up an hour later.

The fresh one I smoked had one much darker leaf rolled into it, almost giving the cross-section a marbled rye sort of look. I don't remember the aged one looking like that (although I don't know that I consciously looked at it) and to the best that I can tell without removing the cellophane of the other 3, none of them have a renegade much darker leaf either. I also absolutely butchered the cut on the fresh one.

Caveats aside, it was very interesting comparing the two. They were obviously the same cigar, but the aged one was more subtle, nuanced, and complex, while the newer one had less variation throughout (same coffee and sweet/chocolate taste, but less leather in the middle) and was more overt, I guess you could say. The end of both of them had the same sweet and spicy duel going on (while I nubbed the aged one, I only smoked the new one down to about 3/4", not because I didn’t want to keep smoking it, but because it was suffering from my maiming cut job) but the aged one was more of a simultaneous blending, whereas the new one seemed to be more either/or. It wasn't totally binary, but most of the time one flavor was overwhelming the other instead of coexisting in equal parts as with the aged version. The box pressing wasn't nearly as prominent in the new one (quite possibly due to my massacre at the shoulder) and it sort of lost a bit of cohesion towards the end. I had a glass or two of Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 year old with both cigars.

I guess the best way I could describe the comparison would be to analogize it to a Big Mac. Sometimes you get one where the proportions, construction, temperature, etc., is all top notch (relatively speaking, of course) and while the ingredients are all the same as they ever are, it just seems so much better than usual. I'd compare the aged one to the A+ Big Mac, and the new one to a pretty darn good (but by no means world-beating) Big Mac. Same ingredients and conceptualizing the differences is next to impossible, yet it's perfectly clear that one was superior to the other. If this comparison may seem like I'm overcritical of the newer one--that isn't my intention at all--a better comparison might be a hot woman you see at the grocery store compared to an Angelina Jolie or a Scarlett Johansson movie starlet type. Very similar, and nothing bad about either of them, but one of them is just in a rarified league of their own. It was still one of my most enjoyable smokes to date, and I'm glad Seadub turned me on to them. I expect them to play a very prominent role in whatever rotation I eventually develop. The price certainly can't be beat, either.

I’m going to head back to the B&M later this afternoon to pick up a few more. I don’t want to smoke any of the remaining 3 I have anytime soon, as every second counts in the aging game, and I don’t want to wait four days longer than I have to before I can smoke another one with a couple of years on it.

Great review, but must admit it is the first time I have ever heard of any cigar being compared to a Big Mac! :rolleyes:

You might want to try next Padron's 1964 Anniversary line. Many believe, myself included, that it is a very similar, if not the same blend as the '000 series, but Padron has already done the aging, or buy a box of the 3000 series, and smoke one every 4-6 months, as I think you will notice a difference every time you light one up. If you can wait that long in between smokes!

I think you will, also, find the 2000 series to be as good of a smoke, just a bit shorter, when your pressed for time.

Fantastic review, TGM. Although it seems you had your thumb over the lens, because the pictures in your post are tough to see ;) :sign:

I definitely intend to explore all of Padron's offerings as my finances allow. I've got another year of grad school left and my wife is a librarian, so we're not exactly crapping money just yet. I'll check out the 1964s next though.

My camera is on the fritz so I didn't feel like bothering with it, but I'll make the effort in the future. No promises, as the camera seems to have a mind of its own these days. Sometimes it takes pictures like a champion Big Mac, and other times it takes pictures like a burger dropped on the floor during the lunchtime rush, stepped on by harried employees, and kicked under the fryer to be forgotten by all but the resident vermin...

Fantastic review. Well done...!!... :thumbs:

However, my secret is now out. Well, maybe it's not a secret. IMHO, the Padron x000 series are some of the best values in the cigar world. Put a box down for some time, and you will be rewarded with an amazing smoke that completely exceeds the financial outlay. Padron 2K's in both natural and maduro wrapper are my "go to" smokes when I can't make up my mind what I want to smoke, and sometimes my first choice when I don't want to be dissappointed. I always keep two boxes in the cabinet. I smoke out of one box, and when I open box #2 I order another box to put away. That way, I usually always have 2K's with 6-12 months on them available..... :cool:

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Aged Padrons are definitely a thing of beauty. I just find them too darn hard to leave alone. I recently just broke down and purchased a quantity of 2000s that I wouldn't possibly be able to smoke before a couple of the boxes are at least 3 years old (unless my routine changes drastically).

They're definitely a bargain as far as price/enjoyment goes for me.

And they're much more enjoyable than any Big Mac ©. :sign: ;)

ETA: When you figure out that "crapping money" thing, let me know. It sounds like a useful skill. :laugh:

Thanks to all for the info. I've have always loved Padron 2k and 3k as a great value cigar, but I never kept any around long enough for aging. I will have to give a few some more humidor time from my current supply.

I don't tend to go for ron z when I'm smoking a cigar, but I enjoy it quite a bit. A tad sweet, but good. If you're into smooth and silky rum, you should check out 1 barrel rum from Belize. You can find it at internetwines or something like that online. Pretty inexpensive, and no bite. Not incredibly complex, but I'd definitely recommend it.

Cool. I'll check it out. I've got a liquor store with a pretty good selection only a 3 minute skateboard ride away, so I'll go there first before digging around online.

Great review, I have recently become a big fan of the thousand series of Padron. Great smoke an even greater price.

Great review. I laughed out loud when I read the Big Mac analogy. And laughed again with the camera/Big Mac analogy.

Nice review mate.
One of my favorite cigars. All the 000 series are fantastic and with age they are unbelievable.

I bought a box of the 3000 maduros a couple of weeks ago and they really are outstanding for the price. After this review I'm going to order another box just so they can age while I smoke the first box.
Thanks for the great review!

Thanks for the nice compare/contrast. Been interested in putting aside some x000s myself but need to find some room.

Nice review. I have yet to smoke any Padron that I don't absolutely love. I still have some on my list yet to try though.

Definitely go for the '64 anniversaries too. The first time I had one I was hooked.

Very nice review, Monkey. You are going to be really hooked once you try one of the 64 annis. You will become another one of the Padron whores, myself included :D :D

I'm definitely looking forward to trying a 64 and any resulting/impending whorishness. I've got a few 26s to take care of first though...