• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron Box Change?

LilBastage

Meat is murder! Tasty, tasty murder.
I just got a new box of Padron cigars and it's different than every other one I've ever bought. It has a clasp and some other labeling and a "Padron Sticker - Do Not Remove" barcode sticker on the side. Did they recently change the box?

All my others just have a little notch to lift the top open, no clasp, and less stickers.

The more recent box is much more finished looking.

I got them from a pretty reliable place, so I don't think the authenticity is in question. I just wonder if anyone else has seen these boxes.

I got a box of 2000 nats the other day with the same box. I knew they had gone to a 26 count box, but this was the first time I saw this one as well. BTW....smokes were fine, as usual!!

I thought I read somewhere around here recently about a change in the design on the box. Could be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time. :D

I bought a box of 2000 maddies back in May. 26 count box, no clasp. I have no idea, but I thought that was the new design.

Billy

ya, I think no more cedar on regular line... some sort of shortage I believe.

I snapped a couple of pictures with my old camera. Here you can see the differences. Apparently they both had the "Do Not Remove" stickers after all. I got those stickers confused with the other sticker.

IMG_0786.JPG

Front View. The clasp is clearly visible on the lower box.
IMG_0787.JPG

Side View. Here are the stickers that were confusing me.
IMG_0788.JPG

Lids Open. You can see the upper box has a flat lid while the lower is more of a humidor style arrangement.

I know this trivial, but I thought it was somewhat interesting. I like the box with the clasp. It looks a little nicer and more finished.

That's exactly what the new box I got looked like as well. Must be the new packaging. Also, my B&M told me they are sending back the old cedar boxes to Padron, I guess he gets some sort of cedit for them. Now that they can no longer harvest cedar, I wonder if they will re-use them?

Hmm,

I'm pretty sure my Padron boxes all have clasp closures on them. The oldest box I could find was an empty of Churchills from 97 or 98 and it looks like Alan's "lower" box.

Wilkey

I have never seen a Padron box without a clasp before. I have one from '03 and one from '06 and both have clasps.

Padron is asking retailers to send boxes back to them to refinish. Due to a moratorium of cutting cedar trees in Nicaragua (or some type of harvesting moratorium). The boxes have been reconditioned without a clasp and a barcode has been added for inventory and tracking purposes. This has been going on for around 3-5 months now and if anyone else has any info please feel free to correct me or add more to it.

They have had no clasps on the regular line for 6 to 7 months once they went to the 26 count boxes. Now the ones that you are seeing with the sticker(not the upc) are recycled 25 counts that they are putting 26 in. The sides of the old boxes are marked 25 so they cover them up with a sticker.

Very interesting. I just started buying the boxes about 6 months ago and I've only bought 5, so my experience is limited compared to others. I had never seen a box with clasp. They probably had them at a shop I've been to, but I never paid that close attention.

Thanks for the info. :)

The last two boxes of 2K's I got were new style; 26 count, no clasp.

Just got a box of '26 #2's from Al and they do have a clasp.

Regards - B.B.S.

Padron cigars on Cigars International has options to buy Padrons and Padrons [New Packaging].
Yes they do, but most of the "old" packaging are sold out and their prices aren't so great on the "new" packaging.

I like the new style a little better having looked at it more. It's not as "classy" looking, but the clasp kind of gets in the way of my stacking and arranging.

The last two boxes of 2K's I got were new style; 26 count, no clasp.

Just got a box of '26 #2's from Al and they do have a clasp.

Regards - B.B.S.

The 64 and 26 boxes have not been changed, and neither have the in-counts for these cigars.

For what it's worth(not much), I like the no clasp. I'm a minimalist - less is more! :thumbs:

And they do stack nicely. :D

Steve