• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

PADRON'S (to age or not to age)

yigal

I get mixed messages on aging NC's, specifically Padron's. My go to's are the 1926 Serie (# 6, 35, & 48) and the Family Reserve #46 all maduro's for special occasions. I picked up a few extra boxes during the 4th to rest for a few years, and now not sure if that was a smart thing to do. Reviewers say to smoke them in a year tops. What says you?

I get mixed messages on aging NC's, specifically Padron's. My go to's are the 1926 Serie (# 6, 35, & 48) and the Family Reserve #46 all maduro's for special occasions. I picked up a few extra boxes during the 4th to rest for a few years, and now not sure if that was a smart thing to do. Reviewers say to smoke them in a year tops. What says you?
In my experience, five to six years tops. Padron cigars get really good after a few years, peak at four years, then start to go flat after six.

My rule of thumb for Padron - the "better" they are, the fresher to smoke. '26,' 64, the other fancy ones, my timeline for those is usually a little shorter than @jfields . Not because I think they go flat earlier, but they do go flat. I normally finish my boxes of those sometime between 2 and 3 years.

The Thousand series can go for a while.

My $00.02 is that the Padron family really knows how to age and ferment tobacco. Tom got it right above; the better or higher end they are, the less down time they 'need' to be at their best. I had a box of '26's that went about 5 years in the cabinet. Got to be honest, I really didn't care for them; they'd turned into 'air' cigars....just nothing there.

For boxes of 64's or 26's or FR's....I'd give them a few months in the cabinet, maybe a year.....then it's time for them to go up in flames.

As they say, one man's opinion......

Last edited:
Everyone else has pretty much hit the mark on the "higher end" Padron selections. For the x000 series offerings, I would be more inclined to go with @jfields that they need about 3-4 years to really hit their mark. The x000 series stuff I've had with a few years on it is WAY better than the stuff that is still "young".