• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Partagas Serie P No.2 (Cuba)

EzTheFix

Partagas Serie P No.2 (Cuba)
Posted by E.Z. under Cigar Reviews (Photos)

Inspect the thick wrapper on this bad boy, and you'll get a good idea of what lies ahead. The smoking experience of the Partagas serie P No.2 starts here. Look at the veins and the oily copper colored toothy surface of this cigar and you know it's going to be a winner, a go to Habano for sure. Unless you get the occasional fluke stick, this cigar will certainly not disappoint, delivering a very rich, satisfying smoke every time.

The pre-light aromas on this one are dark, earthy and chocolaty with a classic Cuban peppery nose. Every time I smoke one of these I just can't wait to taste the delicious wrapper; the peppery spice is oh so good right from the start.

An easy light later, I find the smoke emanating from the foot so aromatic and pleasant. Aromas of earth and leather dominate for sure. Ahhh... I think, this is what an Habano is all about.

The smoke is definitely dense, but perhaps not as dense as it could be. No matter, the initial burst of pepper with leather and light grassy notes is yummy. An inch or so later the smoke gains a more roasted character and the pepper recedes a bit, but the leather is still present. Past the half way mark, the body of this cigar is solidly dark leather and earth with espresso and pepper. This character remains through to the end, with the pepper picking up a bit before the end.

The ash on these is great. The burn may require some coaxing from time to time but it is otherwise good. It smokes generally cool, unless you solicit it repeatedly toward the end, which you my end up doing because of the great smoke it yields. Now, this piramid has a tendency to tunnel in the last inch or so. I would resist the urge to correct the tunneling to avoid a bitter finish; don't sweat it, just let it die with dignity and enjoy a wonderful medium long finish of earth and leather.

I enjoy these smokes thoroughly, and recommend them whole heartedly.

Great review!

After letting one sit in the humi for fear of taking on more than I could handle, I had my first on Sunday morning and your review was spot on. The earth and leather were certainly the dominate characters (and yummy ones at that). I was under the impression it was more of a peppery powerhouse, and it did dish out a great deal to begin with, but it was much smoother than I was led to believe. I had a bit of a hard time getting it started but it loosened up about an inch or so in and it bellowed the smoke until I nubbed it. What suprised me was the lingering spicey coffee flavor and the earthy nose that stuck with me for more than an hour after I finished.

I would smoke another one anytime!

Nate

Grat review! Thanks a lot for reminding me of one of the nicest cigar experiences I have had in recent memory. Sitting on a lounge-chair on the beach by myself with a full moon, smoking a PSP2 in Aruba.
Ahhhhhh...now back to my day of work....

Excellent review - got to get one.

Brian

Great Review! Had a similar experience with a Partagas Serie D No.4. Keep the reviews coming!

Thanks for the fine review. The PSP2 is one of my favorite smokes...I generally prefer it over the PSD4 these days.

Wilkey

Great review. This is one of my go-to smokes. Definitely a favorite of mine.

Never had one but am looking foward to the oppurtunity in the future!
Nice review> :thumbs:

I just don't see this with this cigar, which leads to this question, does your expectation have an effect on what you smoke? Reading this review, it looks like your expectation happened. Wondering if the same thing happens to me with a BBF or VR Unicos among others.

I just don't see this with this cigar, which leads to this question, does your expectation have an effect on what you smoke? Reading this review, it looks like your expectation happened. Wondering if the same thing happens to me with a BBF or VR Unicos among others.

Gregor,

From my research on this cigar, there seems to be a greater variation in opinions regarding its performance than most other recent releases. This seems to be true even among fans of the PSD/Partagas profile (such as myself). I don't have a theory as to why this has been the case. I can attest that I have enjoyed mostly every one I've smoked but this was all within 4-8 months of the box code. I have not had one recently so I cannot say if they have entered the oft-mentioned "sick period."

Wilkey

To me, it wasn't a sick factor, but just a real plain smoke. Did a box split and ended up gifting most of them. On the contrary, I really enjoy Party Shorts, PSD4s and the 898 that I smoked the other day.

Gregor

To me, it wasn't a sick factor, but just a real plain smoke. Did a box split and ended up gifting most of them. On the contrary, I really enjoy Party Shorts, PSD4s and the 898 that I smoked the other day.

Gregor

I have a box of 10 that has been sitting for a while and about 2 weeks ago I decided to crank one up just to see what this might be like in the future. I could taste those things that were mentioned by EZ, just not with the same overbearance that would be necessary for me to say it exploded with flavor or anything like that (I think EZ made the same kinda comment). A nice smoke.

The Monte Edmundo was kinda like that on the first go round, a nice smoke, but not that distinctive, in fact sort of panned by most. I have heard, but not yet tried, that the newer releases which are supposed to be better.