• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Paterno fired at Penn State

I grew up a PSU fan because my great grandfather had season tix, and when I would go and visit we would go to games. I can still hear him talking about how much he respected Joe Pa because he was able to be a family man, humble, but on the other hand operated a wildly successful D 1 football program and keep a high academic standard. I'm just glad this came out after he passed this year, because it would have crushed him... I hate to say this but boo PSU!

I agree the foundation needs to be investigated. It is sheer ignorance and evil that allowed this to continue without punishment.

It's caused some interesting and polarizing water cooler conversation around here. I wonder if and how long PSU knew about Sandusky's private little secret. That guy was the heir apparent to Joe Pa at one time, yet 'retired' in 1999 at age 57. Why? Was there something going on back then? Could be totally unrelated, but I would like to see these questions answered.
There was a victim whose mom tried to do something about him around this time. It is seen in the grand jury report.

Let me first start by saying Hello from State College PA. I witnessed all of this go down. I was apart of the movement right after Joe said he was going to retire. This was nothing more then people stating that Spanier needed to go and that we weren't happy with Joe's decision to retire. NOTHING was destroyed this night and it was peaceful.

I was NOT apart of the riot. The news made the riot look much worse then it was. If you consider that there are 44,000 students at Penn State and maybe 2000 of them rioting that's about 4.5% of the population rioting. Sadly these riots tarnished what is Happy Valley. But what happened in the days after I'm sure the news won't look into... It doesn't make good T.V.

Friday night there was a vigil (http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/thousands-attend-penn-state-vigil-for-victims-111211) that many more people attended.

On Saturday right before the game there was a moment of silence for all the people affected. Both teams took part in this.

All around campus you see flyers of people gathering money to go against child abuse.

So before people talk all kinds of Shit on Penn State look at that. Sure things might have gotten a little out of hand at first. But in the end things cooled down and we returned to our usual selves.

WE ARE still PENN STATE

And one last thing

311050_10150463440735775_638420774_10990602_1779155599_n.jpg

Good post. Proud alumni and students are collateral damage from an administration that failed them.

The vigil was really nice to see, by the way.

Nicely stated.
Thank you... I've been dealing with a lot of people shit talking this past week.

There is a PSU campus here in Erie. I haven't heard any animosity directed toward alumni, current students, or the local faculty nor should there be. Towards the people involved at Happy Valley - that's a different story.

Nicely stated.
Thank you... I've been dealing with a lot of people shit talking this past week.

There is a PSU campus here in Erie. I haven't heard any animosity directed toward alumni, current students, or the local faculty nor should there be. Towards the people involved at Happy Valley - that's a different story.
Yea I mean just about everyone knows where Joe lives up here. Most have seen him walking around or driving around campus. I was riding my bike home from class one day and he almost ran me over. Most of us have stories like that about him.

Although I must say the firing of President Spanier was one of the best things I have seen. The interim president so far is doing a really good job. I have already gotten a few emails from him that show you should be proud to be a Penn Stater. I'll share the e-mail with you guys

Nov. 14, 2011
This past week has tested the character and resilience of the Penn State community in ways we never could have imagined. Many of you shared my shock and surprise as the reports unfolded. Yet, after this past weekend, I just want to take a moment to tell all of you how proud I am. Our students and athletes, in particular, demonstrated the best of what it means to be a Penn Stater.
On Friday night, our students organized a candlelight vigil for the victims of abuse, and thousands came to express their concern and resolve. It was a meaningful and deeply moving way to show support.
At the Penn State-Nebraska football game on Saturday, tens of thousands of fans supported the Blue Out, a solemn moment of silence, as well as many other efforts to raise awareness and money for this very serious issue.
On the field, the football players demonstrated a level of maturity and determination that was an inspiration. The athletes from both teams came together at midfield in unity, respect and prayer for the victims. Then they played their hearts out. It was remarkable in so many ways.
Thank you for coming together as a community.
Today, we are back to class and the business of running this university. I urge you to refocus on your educational goals and remain mindful of the five promises I have made to the Penn State community as we move forward. Collectively, we need to show the nation and world that Penn State cares, and that Penn State is a community of individuals committed to moving forward with a shared sense of purpose.
If you have not yet seen the five promises, I will share them below.
Again, thank you for your support and the kind words I have heard from so many people. It gives me the confidence to know that together we are moving in the right direction.
My Promise to the Penn State Community
  1. I will reinforce to the entire Penn State community the moral imperative of doing the right thing – the first time, every time.
– We will revisit all standards, policies, and programs to ensure they meet not only the law, but Penn State’s standard. To oversee this effort, I will appoint an Ethics Officer who will report directly to me.​
– I ask for the support of the entire Penn State community to work together to reorient our culture. Never again should anyone at Penn State feel scared to do the right thing. My door will always be open.​
  1. As I lead by example, I will expect no less of others.
– I will ensure proper governance and oversight exists across the entire University, including Intercollegiate Athletics.​
  1. Penn State is committed to transparency to the fullest extent possible given the ongoing investigations.
– I encourage dialogue with students, faculty, alumni, and other members of the Penn State community.​
  1. We will be respectful and sensitive to the victims and their families. We will seek appropriate ways to foster healing and raise broader awareness of the issue of sexual abuse.
  2. My administration will provide whatever resources, access, and information are needed to support the Special Committee’s investigation. I pledge to take immediate action based on its findings.

As they say, you can't make this stuff up. Check out the article on Sandusky's lawyer:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/jerry-sandusky-s-lawyer-joe-amendola-a-16-year-old-client-pregnant-married-article-1.977873

This is amazing stuff. Sandusky deserves an fair trial, but I already have him guilty as hell! Penn State will survive and maintain it's character. What a shame this sort of crap happens. If found guilty Sandusky should be punished to the maximum extent allowed by law. Sick son of a ____.

There has always been a sickness in our society when it comes to child abuse. The Feds are cracking down hard on Internet crimes against children, but they have limited jurisdiction when it comes to child abuse (ie: Indian Country cases). It's the states that need to change their sentencing guidelines and start making offenders do hard time (30 year sentences).

Side note: You'll never see defense attorneys fight harder than guys like Sandusky's lawyer (pedophile himself) do in sexual child abuse cases. Always makes me wonder, it's like they're fighting for themselves...

It's the states that need to change their sentencing guidelines and start making offenders do hard time (30 year sentences).
I just want to say from everything I've learned (I'm a Crime law and Justice major) and have read about or researched people in prison who are rapists or child abusers/molestors do not have it easy. I think it would be good enough to let the prison population know the true extent of their crimes.

As for a Penn State update this really is looking bad for our school. Its put us at the sight of a lot of jokes. People need to get it out of their mind that the school and its athletics is the same thing. Penn State still has hard working professors who do a lot for society. Penn State still is top in some of its majors. Put away what has happened with 1 football coach when looking at a Penn State student. Put away the riots that resulted of Joe's firing. The small amount of people that did that are the same people that are out drinking every day and live in frat houses. They do not represent the majority of the population of Penn State students.

It's the states that need to change their sentencing guidelines and start making offenders do hard time (30 year sentences).
I just want to say from everything I've learned (I'm a Crime law and Justice major) and have read about or researched people in prison who are rapists or child abusers/molestors do not have it easy. I think it would be good enough to let the prison population know the true extent of their crimes.

As for a Penn State update this really is looking bad for our school. Its put us at the sight of a lot of jokes. People need to get it out of their mind that the school and its athletics is the same thing. Penn State still has hard working professors who do a lot for society. Penn State still is top in some of its majors. Put away what has happened with 1 football coach when looking at a Penn State student. Put away the riots that resulted of Joe's firing. The small amount of people that did that are the same people that are out drinking every day and live in frat houses. They do not represent the majority of the population of Penn State students.

I understand where you're coming from, but the identity of the University has been wrapped around the football program for so many years (to the delight of a whole lot of folks at Penn State) that it's nigh on impossible for most people to separate the two. The only reason a lot of people ever paid attention to Penn State is because of Joe Paterno and the football program. Joe Paterno was said on more than one occasion to be the embodiment of Penn State.

As it stands right now, the behavior of those that were in charge at Penn State (and in the local community) shows that they were more worried about the football program and the University than the kids that were attacked by this monster. To a lot of people it looks like protecting the football revenue was more important than protecting the children.

It may not be right, but that's what it looks like to many looking in from the outside. That's why I said before that the football program needs to go away, at least for awhile. Penn State needs to reset the culture of the University and regain their identity as an educational powerhouse and producer of fine men and women. As long as football goes on, it looks like the more important thing.

Does that hurt a lot of innocent people? Yes, but the leaders of Penn State that didn't do enough to protect the kids are to blame for that.

I just want to say from everything I've learned (I'm a Crime law and Justice major) and have read about or researched people in prison who are rapists or child abusers/molestors do not have it easy. I think it would be good enough to let the prison population know the true extent of their crimes. As for a Penn State update this really is looking bad for our school. Its put us at the sight of a lot of jokes. People need to get it out of their mind that the school and its athletics is the same thing. Penn State still has hard working professors who do a lot for society. Penn State still is top in some of its majors. Put away what has happened with 1 football coach when looking at a Penn State student. Put away the riots that resulted of Joe's firing. The small amount of people that did that are the same people that are out drinking every day and live in frat houses. They do not represent the majority of the population of Penn State students.

These offenders all have one thing in common: they reoffend. Research and statistics will show you that rehabilitation does not work with sex offenders, and that's why long sentences are necessary. Not to mention that the crimes they are committing have a devastating affect on the lives of their victims.

The rioting students at Penn State need to ask themselves how the would feel if it was their son being abused. This man took advantage of young children using his "star power" to attract them. They will be scarred for life because of him.

Angry Steve

LB I agree people do see Penn State as a football school. The sad part is when it comes to sports our fencing team is the best there is and same with our wrestling and women's volleyball team. I just hope it doesn't hurt me in the future with job offerings. When people think about Penn State they think about Joe Pa and his football team which is ok on some parts but Penn State has so much more to offer.

LB I agree people do see Penn State as a football school. The sad part is when it comes to sports our fencing team is the best there is and same with our wrestling and women's volleyball team. I just hope it doesn't hurt me in the future with job offerings. When people think about Penn State they think about Joe Pa and his football team which is ok on some parts but Penn State has so much more to offer.

It's up to Penn State to get that word out and show the world what it has to offer other than football and Joe Paterno. The trustees, administration, and the students are going to have to be boldly proactive in salvaging the reputation of the university through action. This isn't going to just blow over.

Have greater concern for those that have already been victimized by Sandusky. I'm sure once some time passes the graduates of Penn State will likely be as well off as about any other college graduate these days. The boys he victimized, however, will never be as well off as they should have been.

It's up to Penn State to get that word out and show the world what it has to offer other than football and Joe Paterno. The trustees, administration, and the students are going to have to be boldly proactive in salvaging the reputation of the university through action. This isn't going to just blow over.

Have greater concern for those that have already been victimized by Sandusky. I'm sure once some time passes the graduates of Penn State will likely be as well off as about any other college graduate these days. The boys he victimized, however, will never be as well off as they should have been.

Their PR people are going to earn their money over the next couple years, that's for sure. As far as Sandusky, did you hear or see the interview he did with Bob Costas. I thought Costas did a phenomenal job on asking the tough questions and not letting him off of the hook, and when asked if he found young boys to be sexually attractive his response essentially proved what we all thought. It was akin to a child being yelled at for spilling paint on the wall and saying "I didn't do it" meanwhile he is covered in the same colored paint. He is a monster and deserves everything that happens to him, and unfortunately so does everyone else involved in this gut wrenching story. If it were my kid I would be in the cell and he would be in the morgue.

Mark I feel the same way. If I saw this happening even if it wasn't my kid I'd probably be in a jail cell myself. And what the media hasn't shown you guys is just how much us finding out about this (us as in the student body) has really put it in our mind that this stuff happens. We have done a lot to raise money for children of child abuse. Each year Penn State holds a dance marathon that raises money for pediatric cancer. This is the largest student run organization. But a lot of people don't see that, which is just down right sad.

www.thon.org