• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Patience Pays Off

Congrats on the doe! I have a friend, by the way also a LTC and that boy makes the best deer sausage and meatballs I've ever had! Jerky is also good and you can make a nice pot roast out of the loin. Rod you got to try fresh game it is rather good. This coming from a city boy :D

Just had some red beans and rice with venison chorizo. Yum!

Dan quit giving away my secrets. In fact deer are drwan to smoke out of curiosity, only real tobacco smoke, not cigarettes.

Rod,

You gut'em, skin'em, quarter'em, then eat em. Highest protein to fat ratio of just about any mammal. Extremely healthy, as they also have no hormones or antibiotics injected.

Also extremely hard to cook, due to the lack of fat. Alot of people cook it like regular beef and it turns out like shoe leather.

Congrats on the doe..

Good Job - I am no hunter, but is it smart to be smoking while sitting in a tree waiting for a deer. Would they smell the smoke and be spooked? Just wondering.

Growoing up we always liked to stake out an area where a fresh forest fire or controled burn had taken place. The deer would come and roll in the ashes to get the ticks and fleas out of their hair.

Not sure about a cigar, but the scent of a smoldering pile of ashes may be a lure to some critters.

I have had deer meat several times - mostly cooked like swiss steak - very slow and long cooking - excellent - even better now that I know it is good for you.

Nice shot Kelley for a Texan deer........ :D :thumbs: :cool:

I heard their droppin' deer out in Iowa ranging 180 to 200 lbs right now!!!

Damn straight!! That is all I've ever known. Growing up in Northwest Iowa we have some great hunting.

The deer down here in NC are about the size of my Doberman. :sign:

Yep, when I first started hunting in TX, I probably let some deer (does & bucks) walk because they were too small....at least compared to what I was used to seeing in Northern Wisconsin growing up. I then talked with some biologists they have here on Fort Hood and learned how to estimate the age of deer just just by looking at them.

As for this one, it was pretty easy....there were two and I shot the bigger one. :)

*drool* ok you all are making me SOO hungry...I love venison, elk, boar...it's all freakin fantastic...I dont hunt it, cause I'm too clutsy to fire a gun, but I love to cook it...I made some spaghetti the other night with some ground elk a co-worker brought me...it was yummy! So thanks guys for reminding me that i am STARVIN lol

Melly :sign:

*drool* ok you all are making me SOO hungry...I love venison, elk, boar...it's all freakin fantastic...I dont hunt it, cause I'm too clutsy to fire a gun, but I love to cook it...I made some spaghetti the other night with some ground elk a co-worker brought me...it was yummy! So thanks guys for reminding me that i am STARVIN lol

Melly :sign:

Elk meat is damn good!!!
I just need a bigger freezer, so I get more!!!