• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pepin JJ Maduro

Razorback

Migratory Coconut
Don Pepin Garcia JJ Maduro Sublime
6 x 54
JJMaddie013.jpg

I saw these as my local B&M last Saturday and couldn’t pass up the opportunity to give them a try. I picked up two of the Sublime’s. It was a nice quiet Friday evening, so I decided to give one a try.

Atmosphere:
My apartment watching Survivorman and talking with a few folks in the Chat Room. Since this is a first with this cigar I decided to just have ice water, so I wouldn’t taint any of the flavors.

Pre-Light:
The cigar has a nice dark, slightly oily, wrapper. Looks like a nice chocolate bar, and kind of smelled like one too! I also picked up a little of what I describe as the “Pepin fragrance”. The draw was perfect, and was very similar to the scent. The ring gauge is fatter than I prefer.

Initial Light & First 3rd:
I used my new Tatuaje Table lighter to fire this thing up. The lighter is awesome!

First thing I noticed once this cigar was lit was an intense harshness. I usually can “nose” smoke without much trouble, but trying it early on with this cigar led to a sneeze fit! After the first ½ inch the harshness started to go away and I could start to pick up some muted flavors. There was a little of the sweetness I’ve come to expect with Maduro cigars. Similar to a dark chocolate, there’s also some earthy tones and maybe a little peppery, but still the flavors are a bit dull. The burn has been fairly even to this point.

JJMaddie017.jpg

Middle 3rd:
The flavors are more pronounced, but still similar to the beginning. The dark chocolate is nice, and I’m picking up some nice cedary notes. I did pick up something a little sour toward the middle, but just enough to add some intrigue. The burn stated to lag on one side and required a touch up.

JJMaddie024.jpg

Final 3rd:
The sweetness is gone, taken over by a sour grassy taste, kind of reminiscent of a young cigar. Every couple of puffs I could find the chocolate I tasted earlier, but I had to go searching for it. The last several puffs were just plain bitter and unappealing.

My dog Seamus decided to join me at this point.
JJMaddie027.jpg

JJMaddie029.jpg

Overall:
This cigar wasn’t necessarily bad, but it didn’t live up to the expectation I had. I was talking to Phil (insight) in the chat room, and I think it hit the nail on the head. He said he didn’t think this is a blend that can benefit from a Maduro wrapper. Although I think this could be an interesting smoke, the one I had was not impressive. I’ll definitely give these another try, but a regular JJ would’ve made for a more satisfying night.

Nick

I was talking to Phil (insight) in the chat room, and I think it hit the nail on the head. He said he didn’t think this is a blend that can benefit from a Maduro wrapper.
Hmmm,

I have to believe that when they created this cigar, they would have reblended it to work with a maduro wrapper. I can't imagine Don Pepin taking such a slapdash approach as wrapping a dramatically different wrapper around another cigar's blend.

FWIW, I was really looking forward to trying this cigar.

Wilkey

smoking one right now, and i agree totally, not impressive, not bad though, kinda meh.

Sometimes I wish I would smoke cigars that I look forward to smoking before I read reviews on them! :( Great review though. Too bad it didn't live up to the expectations. The only Pepin maduro that I have had is the JFR maduro... and that thing is all maduro! :love: I have one of the JJ maduro sublimes in the box waiting to be had. Might let her rest a bit though now...

mac

Hmmm,

I have to believe that when they created this cigar, they would have reblended it to work with a maduro wrapper. I can't imagine Don Pepin taking such a slapdash approach as wrapping a dramatically different wrapper around another cigar's blend.

FWIW, I was really looking forward to trying this cigar.

Wilkey

You may very well be right. I did not do my due diligence before posting this review. However, I assumed that it being called a Series JJ Maduro, it would be the same blend. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than myself can step in with information on the blend.

Nick

Nice review! Too bad it wasn't a step or two above the regular JJ line...I thought it would be. Maybe some time in your cooler will mellow them out :sign:

Thanks for the review!

I have found the need to dry most store bought Pepin singles in the humi because they are too moist to burn and be appreciated. They were designed to be smoked at 65% according to DPG.

They have a box or two at Cigar-ette City in Glasgow, DE, and I bought a single for $11 and enjoyed it immensely but did have a problem with the $11. ;) The box price was pretty good, though!

Very nice review! :thumbs:

Even though your experience wasn't that good of one, I look forward to getting my hands on a couple of these babies at some point. Being that I'm a self-admitted Pepin whore, I've got to try all Pepin creations.

Great pics and review.

I see it didn't knock your socks off, but I'm still looking forward to my first of this line.