• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Perfect first cigar?

I smoked Romeo y Julieta "Bullys" for like my first ten years into cigars. Nice intro smoke---nutty, complex, but not an asskicker.

Of course asskickers are pretty much ALL I smoke now, but that's another story.

~Boar

I also put a vote in for Macunudo, and since it hasn't yet been mentioned, also Avo and Dunhill aged. Of the Fuente line, I would stick to the 858 as they tend to be a good value and not overly strong. Good luck!

Some of my firsts were a Don Lucas then a 5 Vegas Gold then an 858 claro. All pretty mild in my opinion.

Don't go with my recommendations there are far better stogies already mentioned.

So with all these things to consider what would everyone buy as your next cigar purchase if you were buying "just one" to smoke now? The only consideration is you are in a shop in the US. No aging, no box and nothing from your humidor at home.

So with all these things to consider what would everyone buy as your next cigar purchase if you were buying "just one" to smoke now? The only consideration is you are in a shop in the US. No aging, no box and nothing from your humidor at home.
I would try to find something I hadn't tried yet. When I went last week with Kann, they had the Quesada holiday keg. Good cigar.

what would everyone buy as your next cigar purchase
Tough one, as I'm on a trying new stuff kick. A pretty healthy list. Illusione Haute 10 is high on that list.

If I went with what I know, an Illusione MK. (or f9, or CG4, or #2, or....)

Edit duo post

Last edited:
A pre-embargo 1955 Montecristo robusto from Vendetta :rolleyes::D

In all seriousness, I'd probably look for an Illusione Epernay.

LFD has a few new things out I'm intrigued by.

I actually did this the other day but didn't have the time to smoke then there. Ended up walking out with an LFD La Nox PC and an Illusione Epernay. Haven't tried either yet but was planning on it soon.

If you can find it, try the LEAF Conneticutt. When you see it, it is butt ugly because it's wrapped in a full leaf of tobacco. Unwrap it carefully and the cigar is beautiful. It is mild with lite spice and caresses the palate very pleasantly. Cost about $10, but a great smoke in my humble opinion.

Definitely a lancero.
Since Stogies is close by, it would be an H-Town Lancero.

Definitely a lancero.
Since Stogies is close by, it would be an H-Town Lancero.
I almost bought the illusione HL candela so Bri could try one. I honestly haven't had any of he HL's since the OR years ago. Going to have to revisit that one soon.

Never smoked one. Been a Don Carlos and Hemingway whore for many years.
I suppose it wouldn't lay him down.

Which brings to mind, Zachglasser, A strong cigar can possibly make a person feel sick. If you feel sick from smoking a cigar, a couple teaspoons of sugar will fix you up. Eat a good meal before your first try. Even us seasoned smokers aren't 100% immune to too much nicotine (nicotine sickness).
Quoting for truth. If this is your first go around with smoking it's a possibility you might feel the nic kick. Happens to all of us every once in a while. Follow the directions above.

For what it's worth I think I cut my teeth on Backwoods, Dutch Masters, cherry flavored cigarillos with the plastic tip, and the odd Macanudo, Romeo y Julieta, and maybe Partagas. I'd only recommend those last 3. Maybe.