• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Photography

It is contagious! I too just got a camera for Christmas, a Sony a300, and I can't take enough pics. I've take a few shots of cigars in ashtrays and in the humi. Check here, here, & here for pics with the new camera. I'm going to start learning Photoshop this next week. :D

I've been playing more and more with my Canon XSi (which I got last spring). Most of my photos are at http://flickr.com/photos/syrlinus/show/

As for cigar pictures, while they stand out more on a white background, I prefer them to be positioned with other items. Most of the ones I take are "action" shots (whether when lit or what-have-you).

The best part about digital is that you can take a 1,000 pictures and just delete them if they suck. Allows you to be more creative, IMO.

Nice camera. If you wanted the most detail of cigars, then as others have said a white background would be best.

FWIW, if you wanted a more relaxed photo, then maybe a background of the lightest color/hue (sometimes lighter) you see in the cigar/object. Doing that allows for a softer transition between the background and object. To focus attention on objects I tend to do the opposite of the object - ie, busy object laid back background. Laid back object, busy background.

I'm in the process right now of doing some research on camera's. Going to be buying one at some point, soon hopefully. Leaning towards a Canon EOS 40d

I love mt Pentax k100 I hope to upgrade this year rp
Yes I have a Flickr page to lol Clicky clicky

And cigars need to be done in style
2580065621_0821799888.jpg

Petthefish - Nice pic. I like how you used the flyrod to draw the eye down to the cigar.

I don't like a plain white background. nice shot petthefish.

It depends on the purpose of the photo. If you're doing it as a scene, or to portray some kind of mood, obviously a white background is a bad choice.

It depends on the purpose of the photo. If you're doing it as a scene, or to portray some kind of mood, obviously a white background is a bad choice.

I totally agree with Moki on this one if it was for a purpose say like Moki's site then white background is what is called for but for other stuff like art then show some style rp

I have a Canon 40d and LOVE it. Nowadays the hardest part of shooting is post processing. Its not like it used to be, you can screw up your exposure and still end up with a perfect picture.

Have fun, its addicting.

The hubby uses a Nikon D 40X for his photography. Of course he has a great eye and his work is beautiful, so that helps too. I'd like to see him showcase it more often than he does. I guess taht's why I bought him one of those high powered zoom lens thingies for Christmas.

Melly

I shoot a Nikon D40 as well and love it. Overall it takes great pictures out of the box but it was still tough when using the flash indoors as it would wash out some of the color. I got a shoe mount flash and "bounce" it off of the ceiling when indoors and it made a world of differnce. Great color and warmth while shooting in low light, a must have. :thumbs: