• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pickled Eggs?

kwaklikeaduck

Wow, I need be more active here on the forums...lol

Anyone ever try pickled eggs?

Just had my first one a few days ago... DAMN.... tasty...

If you are in the Long Beach area in SoCal, a place called Joe Jost's is famous for it... but here is the recipe!

Joe Jost's Pickled Eggs

8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
1 (12 ounce) jar yellow chile peppers
2 tablespoons pickling spice
1 cup white wine vinegar
1 1/2 scant cups water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons salt

Mix all ingredients except eggs together in a glass jar with tight-fitting lid. Put peeled eggs in liquid. Don't refrigerate. Keep eggs in sealed jar at least two days before using. May refrigerate after two days.

I make them at least once a year...

No chile peppers I use red beets (and juice) instead.

*edit* google Pennsylvania Dutch Red Beet Eggs to see what I'm talking about.

a member in my bowling league was telling me about making them with beets... will have to try that.

If you like beets, you will like them :)

When I was young, my mother had a jar of these in the fridge all the time. I just e-mailed myself the recipe so I can make a batch this weekend.
Thanks!

My grandma use to make pickled eggs but it was just salt water brining. And they were duck eggs too.

I'm much more preferential to tea eggs, I get em from Tea Station all the time.

My mother-in-law makes eggs and red beets. I have been known to find some amish pickled eggs at the local stores. Mother-in-laws are better.

I make these with the kids leftover Easter eggs every year.

Joe Jost's is a great place The beer so cold it's frozen in the middle of the schooner. The knackwurst sandwich on rye with the pickled egg lunch. Oh man I need to go!

And dont forget the stuff that has been filmed there... LINKY

food.jpg

Wow, I need be more active here on the forums...lol

Anyone ever try pickled eggs?

Just had my first one a few days ago... DAMN.... tasty...

If you are in the Long Beach area in SoCal, a place called Joe Jost's is famous for it... but here is the recipe!

Joe Jost's Pickled Eggs

8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
1 (12 ounce) jar yellow chile peppers
2 tablespoons pickling spice
1 cup white wine vinegar
1 1/2 scant cups water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons salt

Mix all ingredients except eggs together in a glass jar with tight-fitting lid. Put peeled eggs in liquid. Don't refrigerate. Keep eggs in sealed jar at least two days before using. May refrigerate after two days.

My grandma use to make pickled eggs but it was just salt water brining. And they were duck eggs too.

Oh nice! I haven't been to Tea Station in a while. I used to go the one at the Spectrum all the time.

Pickled Eggs are great.
The first time I tried em was in a pub in the UK. Almost took my head off with the vinegar they used.
Ive heard you need fresh as Eggs as they come out the best. Might make some as they go well with Homemade beer...

Pickled Eggs are great.
The first time I tried em was in a pub in the UK. Almost took my head off with the vinegar they used.
Ive heard you need fresh as Eggs as they come out the best. Might make some as they go well with Homemade beer...

:0

Pickled Eggs are great.

You look surprised Justin. :p

One of my favorite ways to spend a Sunday is watching Rugby(in winter, or Speedway in summer) on the TV with a platter of cold cuts,cheeses and pickles washed down with a few bottles of Homebrew.
If I'm real lucky the pickles will have Eggs or Habaneros with them. Heaven bro.

I'm with you, Anvil. I pitched in a batch of oatmeal stout just this morning, and it's already bubbling away. My call has always been for pickle, cheddar, and mayonnaise wrapped in ham. I've tried pickled eggs before, but I rather like just a toss of salt and black pepper.

Scotch eggs, on the other hand...Well, sausage and fry oil will turn anything into gold in my book.

Pickled Eggs are great.

One of my favorite ways to spend a Sunday is watching Rugby(in winter, or Speedway in summer) on the TV with a platter of cold cuts,cheeses and pickles washed down with a few bottles of Homebrew.
If I'm real lucky the pickles will have Eggs or Habaneros with them. Heaven bro.

Not surprised, excited! I dabble a little with homebrew too. :thumbs:

I bet it gets kinda stinky in the living room when that stuff starts to digest! :laugh:

Pickled Eggs are great.

I've gone through at least 3 dozon eggs sence this thread started. I use the above receipe and add an onion like mom did. My wife and 22 year old daughter will not touch them but my 16 year old son says they are; and I quote; MONEY!......:laugh:

Had my first "pickled egg" last night at a buddy's sushi restaurant. Good! Reminded me a bit of deviled eggs. Even though it's a sushi restaurant he's keen on creating Asian bar food in addition to the normal sushi offerings.

Had my first "pickled egg" last night at a buddy's sushi restaurant. Good! Reminded me a bit of deviled eggs. Even though it's a sushi restaurant he's keen on creating Asian bar food in addition to the normal sushi offerings.

Which sushi restaurant?

And on the subject of eggs, I just had Balut the other day. Was pretty good, the egg white at the bottom was rock hard but the rest of it was pretty soft.

Oh nice! I haven't been to Tea Station in a while. I used to go the one at the Spectrum all the time.

Yeah? I haven't been there in years, isn't it closed down now? Usually hit up the one on Culver now, I'll have a cigar on the patio area if there aren't too many kids around.

Omega Sushi in Simi Valley.

Balut? Oh dear...I refuse to touch the stuff. I've seen pics of friends (Pinoy, of course) eating it. No thanks.

OMG, I have thought about this for 50 years. My father was Polish, and going to the ginmill and have a brew with pickled eggs and maybe pickled pigs feet was just the thing to do.

I hate to say it, but if one was prone to farting, this combination lead to enhanced capabilities. :blush: