• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pictures of my new refridge-ador

Zach

Addicted to race cars
A while back i had reached capacity in my Savoy 100ct humidor and decided it was time for a new humi. I decided that I had a good number of cigars on hand, and didnt want to go bigger, but there were a few things i wanted...

1) More organization. I got tired of digging through my humi to find a stick i was looking for. I wanted to have more separated compartments so i could easily separate the cigars out by brand.

2) Thermoelectric cooling. For whatever reason, my room is hard to cool and regularly gets above 74deg. Having a Powermac Dual 2.5, three monitors, and a surround sound amp in here doesn't help either. I definitely needed to find a solution that kept my cigars well away from beetle-temperature-territory.

So while at Best Buy one day browsing since i had a $100 Gift Card still leftover from Christmas, i stumble into the appliance section..and what do i find? The perfect humidor for me. It's a refridgerator made by Avanti. It boasts 1.6cu ft. of storage space inside, space for four shelves, and most importantly, thermoelectrically cooled! :thumbs: For $69.99, i couldn't resist, and picked it up immediately. The next day i promptly ordered three spanish cedar trays from bargainhumidors.com and 1lb of 65% beads from heartfelt.

I finally threw it all together today. The trays were a little narrow so i cut up the top of an old cigar box to make tabs. After attaching the tabs, the trays slide in and out like they were meant to be there. I have one of the Oregon Scientific wireless temp/humidity displays, so i went out and bought two additional transponders, one for each tray of cigars. I wanted my bead container to have a lot of surface area so it would be capable of quickly bouncing back to 65%RH after i opened it up, as there is not a lot of cedar inside. I disassembled a Padron 2000 box, cut apart the mesh bag i bought from Heartfelt, inserted the beads, and used a gluestick to adhere the mesh to the top of the box, since i have been known to spill things. :whistling: I also re-used the two 1oz tubes of 65% beads. I dried them out, and threw them near the top to be able to suck up the extra humidity that rises up. I couldn't be more pleased with my setup now!

Pictures are to follow, but be forewarned....i have OCD and there is a serious amount of organization and overkill! :p

Picture of the outside
dsc01595small6bv.jpg

Inside and Door
dsc01597small1ae.jpg

Picture of the trays and beads
dsc01596small6vj.jpg

Homemade tabs for the trays
dsc01599small6jt.jpg

Bead tray
dsc01600small6ae.jpg

I highly recommend this setup to anyone looking for an affordable, actively-cooled, medium-sized humidor. Oh and pictures of my cigars will be up soon in the cigar discussion area! :thumbs:

-Zach

Zach,

nice setup.

Questions...

Can you set the Avanti at 65 degrees F?

Where did you find those SC trays, I didn't see them on the BH site?

jabba said:
Zach,

nice setup.

Questions...

Can you set the Avanti at 65 degrees F?

Where did you find those SC trays, I didn't see them on the BH site?
[snapback]281635[/snapback]​

It doesnt have active temperature control, rather a dial with a good range between min and max. I've found if left on for 10min or so, it'll bring it down to 65 and keep it there quite a while. Anytime it nears 70 deg or so, i just click her back on. :thumbs:

heres the link for the trays. Great price for em too. http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductI...uctid=ACC-TRAYS

What do you estamate the capcity to be, but it looks very very nice.

kro77 said:
What do you estamate the capcity to be, but it looks very very nice.
[snapback]281785[/snapback]​

Right now i have exactly 100 cigars in there. The Fuente drawer is stacked 3 high, the padrons 3 high, isoms laid straight out, and on the bottom, padron 2k's stacked 3 high and randoms laid straight out. I could easily stack 4 high all across each shelf. Id estimate it to hold 150, maybe 175. Could always add a fourth tray in the bottom as well.

-Zach

Nicely done, if you think you'd like to automate the temperature control, you could add something like one of these. Presto-magico you have a temperature controlled humidor.

Apparently BrewMeister and I were on the same wavelength. Note that his source is considerably less expensive than the one I posted.

Josh

Duckguy said:
Apparently BrewMeister and I were on the same wavelength. Note that his source is considerably less expensive than the one I posted.

Josh
[snapback]281968[/snapback]​
Josh,

Apparently great minds think alike! :) Although yours seems to be about a minute faster than mine... :D :whistling: