• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pipe Restoration Question

I'm not referring to the carbon cake in the bowl but the residue on the rim of the bowl. Since the rim is finished like the rest of the exterior of the pipel, I wouldn't want to scrape it; my goal is to clean it so the rim is restored to its original finish.

try the "saliva treatment"

wet your thumb or soft cloth with some of your saliva and rub it out.

try the "saliva treatment"

wet your thumb or soft cloth with some of your saliva and rub it out.
That has been the best method for me. If it's too thick or very hard you can try softening it with alcohol or Murphy's Oil Soap and a toothbrush. You must be VERY CAREFUL not let it sit for too long or the alcohol could damage the finish. The soap has little to no effect on the finish from what I've been told by those way more experienced than I, but I've not used the method myself.

I actually lick the rim and then use my Briar Wipe cloth (that's just for maintenance). For a smooth rim that really needs work, I'll (carefully!) use the back of a knife blade to get the worst of it off and then just work at it over time. You definitely don't want to use anything sharp/hard when you're close to the wood!!

Back