• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pit Bull Food Alergies - Need suggestions

We've got an English Bulldog also. She's been on Vet's Choice Holistic Health Extension Original since she was a puppy (1 & 1/2 years) with no problems. We've been lucky so far with no allergy problems. I still stay away from anything with by-products, wheat, corn or soy in it as a precaution. It's good you're watching the treats as well. Some people watch the dog food and then give their dogs Milk Bones or some other garbage treat.

My only other sugestion would be to add a probiotic to her rotation. I did this about 2 month ago when our dog had to go on antibiotics and I can tell the difference. Her breath doesn't smell any more and the tear stains she used to have are gone. I give her #1 PB 8 capsule a day (and I take #2). Probiotics are supposed to promote a healthy immune system. I don't know if it will help your dog, but it won't hurt.

Totally agreed on the treat thing... when we do give our dogs treats, it is usually a single piece of their kibble... of course, they are just has happy with an ice cube.

Good info on the Probiotics - thanks! :)

Only treats my Dogs get are mostly Apples or to a lesser degree, bits of real human food such as cheese, kosher hot dogs, etc. You'd be surprised what you can get a dog to do for a cube of Granny Smith Apple.

Rod, if you check out Google for best dog foods, you will find a list with many names and ratings. There are lots of 4 star ratings but very few with 5 star. Taste of the Wilderness in a 5 star food, no corn, no grain etc. you know I have a pug, and she gets the same itch. Taste of the Wilderness has helped lots, but you need to consider your local pollen levels as she goes nuts when mountain cedar is heavy. I don't believe this is 100% food related, but you have to start somewhere. Wish you would share a photo of the dog.

We've got an English Bulldog also. She's been on Vet's Choice Holistic Health Extension Original since she was a puppy (1 & 1/2 years) with no problems. We've been lucky so far with no allergy problems. I still stay away from anything with by-products, wheat, corn or soy in it as a precaution. It's good you're watching the treats as well. Some people watch the dog food and then give their dogs Milk Bones or some other garbage treat.

My only other sugestion would be to add a probiotic to her rotation. I did this about 2 month ago when our dog had to go on antibiotics and I can tell the difference. Her breath doesn't smell any more and the tear stains she used to have are gone. I give her #1 PB 8 capsule a day (and I take #2). Probiotics are supposed to promote a healthy immune system. I don't know if it will help your dog, but it won't hurt.

Totally agreed on the treat thing... when we do give our dogs treats, it is usually a single piece of their kibble... of course, they are just has happy with an ice cube.

Good info on the Probiotics - thanks! :)

Our dog likes ice cubes also - it must be a bulldog thing. You can get limited ingredient treats at some pet stores. Something that says all natural or along that lines means nothing. You just have to read the ingredient list. Our dog is just as happy with carrots or watermelon as a treat.

www.dogfoodadvisor.com or www.dogfoodanalysis.com are good sites to compare dog food quickly. I always just figured dog food was dog food. I never realized just how bad some of the foods were until we got this bulldog and I started looking into the ingredients in some foods. I just fed our old Lab Hills Science Diet and thought I was doing good. Now I wonder if some of her GI and health issues were related to that food. I'm more careful now since bulldogs aren't exactly noted for their excellent health. She's been healthy so far and I'd like to keep it that way if I can.

I don't have a pitbull but do have two South African Boerboels and they commonly have food allergies as well. We feed them canidae and taste of the wild 50/50 mix as our male gets upset stomach if we feed straight taste of the wild.The other option is to do a BARF diet for him.
Wow this is rare, I've got a Boerboel as well. Don't see that name around very often at all. Best dog breed ever. How is it having two? I was just talking to my wife yesterday about possibly getting a brindle as well next year.

Rare indeed. My Boerboel died last year. He was the best. My mother has one as well.

I have 2 puppies, both pitbull mixes. My oldest is a Rottweiler/Pitbull who is 10 months old now has a super sensitive system. So being a chef I make the dog food they eat, their coats, skin, eyes are shiny and bright and most of their problems have cleared up.

The food is super simple and they go bananas for it, I mean literally, bullshit. They think it's gold, and it's cheap to make.

1lb Ground Turkey
1lb Brown Rice
1lb of mixed vegetables (No corn)

Steam the turkey in a large stock pot on low, add vegetables and rice, stir until incorporated, add about half a gallon of water. Simmer until rice is tender and allow to cool. Store in the fridge or freezer in airtight containers. Dirt cheap, very easy, very good for them. Out of habit I always try the dog food, it tastes bland, but damn do they love it. Consistent bathroom breaks, healthy and happy. Mass produced dog food is complete sh*t.

I tried this on my 12 year old Chihuahua. He gobbled it down. I had to dice up the frozen veggies, but very easy to make. Thanks

i also have a pit with food allergies and I tried... believe it or not the Purina One Lamb and rice. It is the only thing that hasn't lead to EXTREME gas and diarrhea. Good luck they are great dogs and worth all trouble their stomachs may cause

Chicken based foods tend to give dogs more gas than others.

Science Diet. It's basic ingredients, and is wholesome.

Both of my dogs recently had food allergies to two different high end foods. Switched to science diet at the vet's recommendation and they have been fine ever since, and they seem to really like the food.

The terrier lost all his hair, and the shepard/pit had bad itching. Terrier is no longer hairless, and the Shepard isn't itchy.

We ended up taking Lady to the vet (found another vet this time). She is on cortisone and anti-biotics for a skin infection. She is doing much better. Seems to be environmental allergies vs food. Next step is to try allergy shots and see how it goes.

She stopped itching for now!

IMG_0375.jpg

DOES have a gluten allergy. Does good with Iams.~Boar

Glad the new vet solved the problem. My old lab Abby (she had to be put down about 2 years ago) had a horrible allergy to gluten. We now make sure we only buy gluten free dog food. Sad thing is, Ms KB has the two yorkies spoiled and they will only eat Caesars. We buy about 100 little packs of Caesars a month. And they only eat the "morning" Caesars, in the morning. :rolleyes:

Hope everyone is following the big dog food recall....

http://www.connectedbypets.com/blog/archives/988-UPDATE-11-brands-now-included-in-ongoing-pet-food-recall.html

12 are now involved.

Hope everyone is following the big dog food recall....

http://www.connected...ood-recall.html

12 are now involved.

Up to 13....friend of mine is head of a legit company and he said it is rampant....Rod can fill you in on the product of he so chooses as I will not shill on here even for a friend

http://www.breedtrust.com/blog/pet-food-recall-expands-include-13-brands

All this makes me feel really good about sticking with a small, family food from Wisconsin (Fromm). Probably not long till they get bought out by some large company and the quality goes to shit, but until then I wouldn't change for anything.