• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Plannig road trip need input

alexgtp

newbie extrodinaire!!
I am planning a road trip with my parents and niece (3yrs old).

We have been wanting to do a road trip to the east coast for the longest time.
Mom and Dad are getting up in their years and we figured a family trip would be a nice thing to do befor we cant get around to doing anything.

I need to know some points of interest ,historical places of interest or touristy things to look for in the following states.

MAINE
MASS
NEW HAMPSHIRE
RHODE ISLAND
CONNECTICUT
PENNSYLVANIA.

I have about 6 days to see as much as I can. I have set aside 2 days for driving to Maine and back from our last location Pennsylvania.

Let me know guys!

In Maine, simply drive up route 1. Stop to see the Portland Headlight. In NH go to Franconia State Park, if you can stand the cold. You can see where the Old Man used to be :laugh: Those other places you mention are just for flatlanders and not worth your time. Go to Vermont if you have the oppertunity,lots of holsteins and jeresey cattle to see. Plus it's the East coast version of California.

Doc.

Hey Alex, Since PA is your first and last stop which part are you starting/ending in? Mainly all we have here this time of year for tourists is trees and cold :). If you get a chance to drive along Rt 6 of course that is a wonderful drive. living right on it I tend to forget how much poeple enjoy it.

PENNSYLVANIA - Gettysburg.... I visited in 2004.... it was amazing. You can actually drive thru the battleground.... make sure you stop at the tourist center to get a cassette/CD recording to guide you thru the battlegrounds.

RHODE ISLAND - Newport.... drive along Bellevue Ave, this is where the richest people in the world had their summer "cottages" during the early part of the 20th Century. Ocean Drive.... some other beautiful homes.... definitely worth the drive. Also some of the greatest seafood.... Stop by the "Black Pearl" on the wharf.... Clam Chowder...

MASS - Boston..... drive along the "Freedom Trail"..... Old North Church.... alot of history

Can ya tell I am a little bit of a history freak.... LOL

Have a good trip and let us know if you need anything while you are around here...

If you can get down to DC. I might be able to arrange a couple of nice tours.

If you on the coast in NH let me know. I've lived there my entire life and will point you in the right direction

BkCloud114 said:
RHODE ISLAND - Newport.... drive along Bellevue Ave, this is where the richest people in the world had their summer "cottages" during the early part of the 20th Century. Ocean Drive.... some other beautiful homes.... definitely worth the drive. Also some of the greatest seafood.... Stop by the "Black Pearl" on the wharf.... Clam Chowder...
[snapback]295001[/snapback]​
as tommy pointed out, newport and nearby jamestown are 2 of the better known tourist spots. in downtown newport there is a shop called the humidor, nice place, reasonably priced smokes. when in newport, try lucia's for some great italian food, the black pearl for classic fan-fare, and cold stone for some of the best ice-cream i have ever had (right by the tennis hall of fame and the stop and shop supermarket). here is a link to newports attractions. and be sure to see marble houe, the breakers and the elms, some of the most beautiful homes on the planet, adn don't forget cliffwalk!Newport To-Do. let's not forget providence, for some of the best italian resturants in the world (yes, i can say this with a great degree of certainty) visit historic Federal Hill (Atwells Ave). there are several great spots for drinks, food and scenery. the blue grotto, constantino's, camielle's and on and on. downtown, be sure to see the city (it is small) and visit Rhe-Ra irish pub, waterplace park for a nice walk around the river, as well as some night clubs and comedy clubs. as for smokes, there is a cigar bar on federal hill, right near the square and venda's. let me know when you are in town, maybe we can connect, we could visit a shop i frequent and grab a smoke or 2.
here is a link to happeningns in providence Providence To-Do
hope this helps Alex

PA is a fairly big state, and I'm not sure what part you are planning on visiting, but I have to second the vote for Gettysburg! Completely breathtaking! Make sure you get out and walk around "little round-top" and "devil's den." Really beautiful, yet sobering when you think about how much of our country's history was shaped at that very place. Also, I highly recommend checking out the historical part of Philadelphia. Pretty neat to see the Liberty Bell and all of the colonial landmarks. If you end up in Philly, you can take the little one to the "Please Touch Museum" as well (Sesame Place is not too far either.) I haven't been to those places in years, but I remember them being a lot of fun as a kid. Let us know when you'll be in town, maybe we can set up a herf with the PA boys. The drive across country itself is pretty amazing and IMO thoroughly enjoyable. Enjoy your stay here on the east coast!

What are you looking to do? Nature, or cultural events. Boston is a good stop, Plymouth plantation (working recreation of the town like it was in 1620) is kind of cool if you have never seen anything like that. The freedom trail isn't bad but not that great, you might was well just walk around downtown Boston and you get the same feeling. There is also Salem but it has become a bit gimmicky as of late so i would pass. Maine is very large so you have the nice seaport of Portland to see or you can check out real rural Maine which I enjoy (Rangley, with it's one blinking stop light in the county).

Connecticut:
Mystic Seaport
Gillette Castle
Mark Twain House
Railroad Museum of New England
Hopkins Vineyard

Rhode Island:
Newport

Massachusetts:
Old Sturbridge Village

You're going to need to spend a whole day at each location. I listed the places in Connecticut from most important to least important. If you stop at only ONE location in Connecticut, make it the Mystic Seaport.

On your way back to Pennsylvania, stop by at Hopkins Vineyard. It's the best winery in Connecticut. When you're in there, ask for Kathleen and tell her to give you 30% off on anything you want. :laugh:

Spent a few days in Philly a few years back and really enjoyed it. Never got a change to go to Gettysburg, but I would love to.

Pennsylvania is a big state so to find out what is available you should go to the source. Try the official tourist site VisitPA

wow! this thread is a nice trip planner to the east coast for us mid west folks. thanks! :cool:

If you are going to Boston walk the Freedom Trail. http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/ We did it last summer and it was great. You can follow the red bricks and go at your own pace or you can get a guide in period costume to take you along. I would recommend the guide, the one that we had was full of information and he was quite entertaining.

Sometimes I get on an airplane and fly to Philly just for a cheesesteak and a soft pretzel. :love:

Matt R said:
Sometimes I get on an airplane and fly to Philly just for a cheesesteak and a soft pretzel. :love:
[snapback]295313[/snapback]​
Gino's or Pat's?

Doc.

Matt R said:
[snapback]295313[/snapback]​

Well let me know and we can have a cigar with that cheesesteak at Holts!