• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pliny The Younger

denverdog

Not now chief, I’m in the F**kin zone.
For each group of beer lovers there is a holy grail, an ultimate, the best of the best. For Belgian fans its Westy 12, for stout fans it is Dark Lord (or Sexual Chocolate, damn you Hillbilly!) for wild ales it Supplication, and for Hop Heads.. My friends, my compadres, my distinguished CP brethren, the one, the only - Pliny The Younger. This beer is not only ridiculously good, but it is damn near impossible to find. If you were to compare it to the cigar world, this is like smoking an early 80's Davidoff, but thanks to a brother here (NorCalCigarLover - sorry David, I know you would want to remain anonymous but I have to thank you) I was able to enjoy it this past weekend. Here are my thoughts:

Beer: Pliny The Younger
Type: Imperial/Triple IPA
Origin: Russian River Brewery - Santa Rosa, CA
ABV: 11%
Price: $34/Growler
Rarity: 8/10 – Only available one week of the year on tap at the brewery.

Pliny the Younger
11.0%ABV, 1.098 O.G, GOBS of BUs
Pliny the Younger was Pliny the Elder's nephew, in the case of this beer, the "Younger" is a triple IPA. Pliny the Younger is hopped three times more than our standard IPA, and is dry hopped four different times.

214106.jpg

3/1/08: What a day here in Denver. We spent our time outside enjoying the 74 degree winter heat, had some friends over for a barbecue, threw some darts, drank beer, played basketball with the kids, could it get any better? Yes, yes it can. The mailman delivered a package, not just any package, this was beer mail. Ladies and gentlemen, Pliny the Younger is in the building!

Appearance: Poured a beautifully clear and brilliant light honey orange. A frothy thick 2 finger head adorns itself at the top, and looks amazingly rich and creamy. It slowly dissipates leaving a sticky web of lacing around the glass.

Nose: After letting the head settle I give a little swirl and bury my nose deep in the glass. I am greeted with big grassy hops, almost the same as when you were a kid and you would chew on a piece of grass while playing in the yard. Sweet crystal sugars, fruit - tangerine, and a slightly bready malt buried in the background. The alcohol is noticeable for a quick moment but then gone, hidden by this enormous and deep nose.

Taste: Seriously, how? The first thing that comes to mind is how balanced and drinkable it is, almost like it has been slightly aged. Intense fruity hops, bold in nature but not overwhelming or one sided, followed by sweet hard candy sugars, doughy malt backbone, but the hops win out with a long bittering finish.

Mouthfeel: Full, initially sticky and sweet quickly followed by warming alcohol. Only light carbonation, overall a surprisingly thick and coating mouth, especially for this style.

Drinkability: You would drink this until you passed out or you ran out.

215232.jpg

Overall: Last May I had a beertopia experience when I received a growler of the Elder in a trade. It was by far the best beer I had had until now, and while I can't say that the Younger is leaps and bounds beyond that of its uncle, the incredible complexities and balance give it the nod. Honestly, I would take either over any other beer on the planet, any day of the week. You drink this and you feel like you are experiencing a work of art. You understand that a true craftsman created this masterpiece, revealing it slowly one sip at a time. I am simply in awe, thank you Russian River.

That was a great review Jonas, I have never shipped growlers but with a beer like Pliny there is no choice. I have a question maybe you might have the answer to...

How long can beer last in a growler?

That was a great review Jonas, I have never shipped growlers but with a beer like Pliny there is no choice. I have a question maybe you might have the answer to...

How long can beer last in a growler?

The people at Russian River say an unopened growler of their beer can last up to 5 or 6 months if kept in a cool, dark place. This may be the case for them but in my experience some beers cant make it that long, so I would say a month or so at most.

That is what I thought too, they need to bottle the Pliny especially since it is a limited release so there will be no issue of mass production anyway. :thumbs:

That is what I thought too, they need to bottle the Pliny especially since it is a limited release so there will be no issue of mass production anyway. :thumbs:

Well, you won't have to wait long. They will be bottling and releasing The Elder sometime this year. It will be in 16oz bottles which IMO is a perfect serving. I will have more info soon but here is the proposed label.

102820.jpg

Very nice review!

Do they let the public know when the Younger will be on tap? I have often thought about a trip out west to visit Russian River or Stone Brewing. Some day I will do both. I made a Pliny the Elder Clone last year that was really good. Bout time to try that again I think.

Very nice review!

Do they let the public know when the Younger will be on tap? I have often thought about a trip out west to visit Russian River or Stone Brewing. Some day I will do both. I made a Pliny the Elder Clone last year that was really good. Bout time to try that again I think.

Brian I promise to pick some up for all of the beer drinkers here, as soon as they are available the next go around. :thumbs:

Well, you won't have to wait long. They will be bottling and releasing The Elder sometime this year. It will be in 16oz bottles which IMO is a perfect serving. I will have more info soon but here is the proposed label.

102820.jpg

That is awsome news, just like the news that DFH will soon be here in full force in S.D., L.A., and SFO. :thumbs: It is looking good here right now... :D

That is awsome news, just like the news that DFH will soon be here in full force in S.D., L.A., and SFO. :thumbs: It is looking good here right now... :D

Yep, the craft beer industry is booming and it's a wonderful thing! I picked up some Old Viscosity here today, I couldn't believe it. :D

Yep, the craft beer industry is booming and it's a wonderful thing! I picked up some Old Viscosity here today, I couldn't believe it. :D

I am now on the hunt for Older Viscosity my self. I will be going to the Lost Abbey Brewery this weekend in hopes of scoring some Bourbon Barrel Angels Share. :thumbs: Oh and of course I hope to hit the Port Bottle Shop too... :love:

I am now on the hunt for Older Viscosity my self. I will be going to the Lost Abbey Brewery this weekend in hopes of scoring some Bourbon Barrel Angels Share. :thumbs: Oh and of course I hope to hit the Port Bottle Shop too... :love:

Do you know when the Older Visconsity is released Adrian? Needless to say, get as much of the bourbon Angel's Share as you can!

If you are ever in CA you gotta try the local Heferziezen , not the right spelling but it's damn close........... Well if you are ever in Norther Cali then you gotta try the microbrewery hefeiziven, or whatever the hell it's called... close enough for the name to get messed up.

LOL ..... glad you enjoyed it DD, it was my pleasure picking it up for you. While there I tried the Elder and brought home another growler, I'm hooked as are my buddies who I've shared this with. I'm headed that way again this weekend so you know what I'll be bringing home.

For the NorCal HERF we'll be having dinner on Friday night at the Bear Republic Brewing Company in Healdsburg, I've booked the Beer Garden for our group. Can't wait! Yeah, I'll probably stop at the RR Brewery again that weekend as well :laugh:

BTW, DD thanks for the tag alongs :thumbs:

:cool:

LOL ..... glad you enjoyed it DD, it was my pleasure picking it up for you. While there I tried the Elder and brought home another growler, I'm hooked as are my buddies who I've shared this with. I'm headed that way again this weekend so you know what I'll be bringing home.

For the NorCal HERF we'll be having dinner on Friday night at the Bear Republic Brewing Company in Healdsburg, I've booked the Beer Garden for our group. Can't wait! Yeah, I'll probably stop at the RR Brewery again that weekend as well :laugh:

You CA boys are lucky (beerwise anyway)! Bear Republic makes some great brews too.

Thanks again David, glad you and your fellow wine aficionados are appreciating fine craft beer as well!

Very nice review!

Brian I promise to pick some up for all of the beer drinkers here, as soon as they are available the next go around. :thumbs:

Sweet!

102820.jpg
Great review! And after reading that they are going to start bottling Pliny The Elder, I feel like the picture in Justin's post!!
I was to Russian River twice this past year(pretty good for an Illinois boy!) and I never got past Pliny The Elder, every time they asked what I wanted to drink, I just couldn't name another beer!! :D

I made a Pliny the Elder Clone last year that was really good. Bout time to try that again I think.
I made one last year too, and am getting around to brewing it again soon! May have to swap some samples with you!

Do you know when the Older Visconsity is released Adrian? Needless to say, get as much of the bourbon Angel's Share as you can!

Justin,

The Older Viscosity is a Fall release but word on the street there may be a few in the S.D. area. Although higher than MSRP, I am on the hunt this week coming up. :thumbs:

Btw while at Port/Lost Abbey today I ran into that stinking Gnats fan Charlie :laugh:. I wonder who he was scoring some AS for :whistling:.