• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Plume is your Friend

Rebel Herfer

Adiskide honekin, orduak labur!
Ok, so my friend goes to Addison Cigar to buy a few sticks and goes into the humidor. He finds a Diamond Crown only to see it was covered in plume/mold. He brings this to the attention of the little guy that works there who wears glasses & a tie with a mustache & chain smokes Galoise cigarettes. The guy says "yeah, I wish every cigar in here was like that!."
Can you believe that!!!!! This is the kinda CRAP we deal with in our local B&Ms.
This is not the first time I've head employees at Addison Cigar make assinine statements like this. I hate to say this, but stay away from this B&M.
Share your horror stories. And DFW beware!

I've had it happen to me around this area as well. Kinda sucks but, they don't want to listen.

Yea.. and then when you try and inform them of their over-humidification they tell you that they know exactly what they're doing. Then they look at me like I'm just some punk kid trying to tell them how to run their entire operation. I hate it when I go into a B&M and I know more about cigars than the ownership. :angry:

Wait, was it plume or mold? Maybe I don't know as much as I thought I did, but I thought plume was a good thing.

The problem is that most of the people working at B&Ms (not mine) don't know anything about cigars and proper storage for cigars. It kind of gives the rest of us a bad name. I know what mold looks like, and I know what plume looks like. I am always checking the humidor's temp and humidity on a regular basis. If I come across a box with mold, it gets taken off the shelf. This has only happened once, and I sent the box back. On a couple other occasions, I opened up new boxes only to find them covered in mold. Those were sent back, as well.

In St Baarths I almost punched a cigar merchant because he kept insisting that the white fuzz covering his ISOM ELs meant they were cigars of the highest quality.
What a freakin douche he was!
Now I can laugh about it!

-Rob

I remember finding a box full of beetle eaten cigars. Brought the box up and told the owner about them. Week later, same exact box was on the shelf. Didn't even bother to take out the ones with holes.

You sure it was mold? If it was plume, the guy had a valid opinion. :shrug:

You sure it was mold? If it was plume, the guy had a valid opinion. :shrug:

It's highly unlikely you'll find many, if any, cigars in a cigar shop that have developed plume. Plume takes time and most cigars don't sit on store shelves long enough for that to happen.

Had the same thing happen a few times. With Camacho Triple Maduros, LFD's and even VSG's. They just say it's plume and let the cigars sit on the shelf for months before finally removing them. Two weeks ago I found a beetle hole in a VSG at my local B&M. I had never seen a beetle in non cc smokes before. I picked it up to take a closer look and sure enough it was..... and the little bugger was crawling around right underneath it! At least they removed those without hesitation.

Heh it isn't just your local B&Ms. I have had the same conversation with someone at Casa Fuente regarding a moldy box of Casa Fuentes...

His name is Robert Wilson, and he's always been professional when I visit. He may have misunderstood what you were talking about and remember Diamond Crown's have a five year old connecticut wrapper, old enough to begin developing plume. So did you believe is was mold or plume casue you can smell mold and I was just their a few days ago and didn't smell mold. Anyway if it was a misunderstanding don't blame all B&M's they're are a lot of great hard working people inside the doors.

It seems more often than not that's the tactic that shops fall back on. Either they don't know what they're talking about or they are conning us into thinking they know what they are talking about. That's why I value being a member here and doing my homework so I don't get taken advantage of.

His name is Robert Wilson, and he's always been professional when I visit. He may have misunderstood what you were talking about and remember Diamond Crown's have a five year old connecticut wrapper, old enough to begin developing plume. So did you believe is was mold or plume casue you can smell mold and I was just their a few days ago and didn't smell mold. Anyway if it was a misunderstanding don't blame all B&M's they're are a lot of great hard working people inside the doors.

I don't know anything about Mr. Wilson but, as Michael stated, I'm pretty sure Jeff knows the difference between plume and mold. They are so different that you really can't mistake one for the other.

And just because a cigar has a wrapper that was aged x number of years means nothing toward the development of plume. It's the migration of oils from the filler, binder and wrapper that results in plume. To have such heavy pluming to be anywhere near remotely confused with mold(which still isn't feasible), substantial oil migration from the center of the cigar would have to occur. Under normal conditions this process takes several years, and doesn't even begin until after the wrapper is applied.

I don't know anything about Mr. Wilson but, as Michael stated, I'm pretty sure Jeff knows the difference between plume and mold. They are so different that you really can't mistake one for the other.

And just because a cigar has a wrapper that was aged x number of years means nothing toward the development of plume. It's the migration of oils from the filler, binder and wrapper that results in plume. To have such heavy pluming to be anywhere near remotely confused with mold(which still isn't feasible), sustantial oil migration from the center of the cigar would have to occur. Under normal conditions this process takes several years, and doesn't even begin until after the wrapper is applied.

Right on the money DeVonn!

and here is another observation that i have come across with some B&M places re:mold
from everything i have read on here and online Plume/Bloom does not spread so how is it that a B&M can say its plume when it has spread over three different boxes from 3 different makers from probably 3 different release dates.

i was at a B&M that the LFD Coronada's had mold that kept going over some Oliva V's and another stick which for some reason escapes me now. I told the store owner/worker (he is the only one i see when i go there so i dont know which he is) that his stock would get ruined if he didnt get a handle on the mold and all he told me was "no no that good, thats not mold"

i no longer buy sticks from his shop just boveda packs when i need them.

Heh it isn't just your local B&Ms. I have had the same conversation with someone at Casa Fuente regarding a moldy box of Casa Fuentes...

I had that same conversation out there last year. Was like talking to a rock.

- Tim

Ok, so my friend goes to Addison Cigar to buy a few sticks and goes into the humidor. He finds a Diamond Crown only to see it was covered in plume/mold. He brings this to the attention of the little guy that works there who wears glasses & a tie with a mustache & chain smokes Galoise cigarettes. The guy says "yeah, I wish every cigar in here was like that!."
Can you believe that!!!!! This is the kinda CRAP we deal with in our local B&Ms.
This is not the first time I've head employees at Addison Cigar make assinine statements like this. I hate to say this, but stay away from this B&M.
Share your horror stories. And DFW beware!

Grab a box, go to the register and when he rings it up hand him a five dollar bill. When he asks, just say "yeah this a special five dollar bills, it's worth $200"

Unfortunately, this seems to be a common occurrence in a lot of DFW shops now. Two brothers has been having serious mold issues as well, especially with their LFD's....when the box was pulled out after we told them, they were back on the shelves the following day. I stopped dealing with shops that give you the "plume" bull shit long ago. If they have to lie to their customers to move product and make money, then they won't see another $ from me.