• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Plume or Mold - the universal question?

theebug

BOTL,

I just opened a box of Bolivar's and was very surprised. Almost all of them were dotted with a white puffy substance. They have always been in a box in my humidor. The humidor is very large (size of a clock tower) and no other cigars have even a hint of plume/mold. It is all white but some of them look like domes of puffy white material rather than powder.

I am in the Northeast so I know it is not a humidity issue because the humidity in my humidor has not gone above 67% for months.

Question:
Has anyone ever gotten mold in just one box and not anywhere else? The box was not sealed.

Sorry for not supplying pictures. I will probably add some tomorrow.

P.S. My first instinct was to throw the entire box into the freezer overnight. Not sure if it would help but it made me feel better. I has since transfered them out of the box they were in and put them in a separate travel humidor.

As always, thoughts and suggestions are always welcome.

Does it wipe off with ease?

Smell it. You know right away if it's mold because it will smell like mold.

Plum/bloom really has no smell other then aged tobacco and should wipe away with ease.

Plus isint plume a rare event that cover almost the whole (or the majority) of the stick ?
The white furry spot gives it away... Penicilin it is.

With pictures we be able to help out.  But Plume is an rare event for sure.

Clock tower size humidor? as in "save the clock tower" in the movie, back to the future, kind of clock tower?

As Rod stated, if it wipes off with ease, leaving no residue it is plume.
If it only partially wipes off (or has a blueish green tint) it is most likely mold.

I'd agree that plume is rare, but define rare... I have some HdM Epi no. 2 tubos, 1 of them has plume, & from @theebug's description it is exactly the same.
From my understanding it is directly related to the amount of oil/s in the cigar & the manner in which it is stored.

Yes it's happened.

No, a freezer is not required (unless you are concerned with bugs).

A few things you didn't mention:
Was the box inspected prior to being put in the humi?

Was the box located nearest the water?

Gentlemen,
Thank you all for the prompt and helpful insights.

To answer a few of the questions:
The box was inspected briefly. No Mold noticed but if was more than 6 months ago. It was not near the water source. It was stored 3/4 of the way up the clock tower (Grandfather clock, not Back to the Future Clock Tower. No jigawatts in my humidor).

It does is all pure white but not dusty. 

If it is fuzzy it is mold. Hairy it is mold. If it looks like sugar, it is plume. Anybody tell you otherwise is either clueless, stupid, or a liar.
One reason this still is an area of confusion is because the damned cigar reps tell retailers it is plume when it is really  mold.
I swear, in my 35 yrs smoking cigars, I have seen more stupidity on this subject than anything else.

Are these tubos?  I've had some bad luck recently with RyJ tubos and mold.  

Find a kazoo and hum "Taps".

It sounds like mold.

I unfortunately agree.

Two follow-up questions: Has anyone attempted to save cigars with Mold ? (wipe them with bleach...)
Is there a better way to post pictures? I did not see a way of uploading an image so if anyone has a preference of link site for pictures, appreciate it

I'd try dipping it in Downy first.  Not only is it a fabric softener, it softens mold too

You really should use search.  If you did, you'd find highly informative and breathtakingly exciting posts like this one..... ;)

Guys, for the love of all things, this really is lots simpler than you are all trying to make it.

Bloom or plume or WTF ever you want to call it is due to the oils in the cigar seeping through the wrapper and crystallizing on the wrapper.  It typically takes years for this process to occur and many cigars wont do this at all.  If I dug every cigar I have in my cabinet out and went through them all (including some ISOM's from the 60's) my guess is that I might, and I do repeat might, find one or two that have plume.  Maybe.  Possibly.  It's really uncommon,which makes a cigar that has it rare and interesting.

Mold is 99 times out 100 three dimensional...plume is not.  Mold will usually wipe off with a moist cloth....plume will usually not but I have seen thin layers of crystallized oils that were affected by wiping.  Mold shows up in (usually) hairy little spots...plume show up as a hard to see sheen, a thin film on the wrapper.

In the years that I've been smoking, each and every time someone posts pics and says "...is this mold or plume..." it has been without a doubt mold.  Every time.  If you find spots on your cigars and are asking yourself "...gee, is this mold or plume..." let me help you out: It's mold.  I have yet to walk into a B&M and find cigars with plume on them, but I sure have seen some furry boxes of moldy cigars that the owner then proudly said were "nicely aged and covered with plume" and I walked right out, never to return, every time.  

This is all pretty cut and dry.  What to do about them is probably more open to opinion.

Wikipedia tells us that:

Molds....are fungi that grow in the form of multicellular filaments called hyphae.[1] Molds are considered to be microbes but microscopic fungi that grow as single cells are called yeasts. A connected network of these tubular branching hyphae has multiple, genetically identical nuclei and is considered a single organism, referred to as a colony.

The important wording in there is that mold typically grows in multicellular filaments.  Mold may show up as a spot here or there, but the chances are quite good that even when dealing with surface spots, the growth has penetrated the wrapper and is well into the cigar.  Tobacco is easily penetrated by these types of fungal infections.  If you see mold on the foot of the cigar, you're done.  Period.  The very core of the cigar has been permeated and you're pretty much screwed.  Yes, you can sometimes wipe surface spots off with a damp rag (I've used distilled water in past efforts) but you have to ask yourself what's inside the cigar that you can't see.  A tiny spot is one thing; a wrapper that has hairy blotches all over it is probably toast.  It's a matter of degree but usually I don't bother.  I have tried to "repair" a cigar with mold spots on it in the past and the result is like smoking a well used pair of gym socks.  Eeeccch....no thank you.

Now, this whole business of dilute bleach wiping a cigar.  Chlorine has highest electron affinity and the third highest electronegativity of all the elements, which is a hoity toity way to say it's one hell of a powerful oxidizer and has a particular affinity for organic materials.  That's why it's such a great disinfectant.  Now, sure, a capful of bleach in a gallon of water is probably drinkable.  Most literature that I could find on storing water recommended two to three drops per liter, so a capful per gallon might be a little strong but is in the ballpark..  But there are a couple of things to consider here.  Most bleach is formulated for laundry use, and as such, often times has more in it than Chlorine in it.  This will vary from product to product but it's worth noting.  But, if you put bleach in water I can promise you that you'll be able to taste it.  Yes, Chlorine is very volatile  and will out gas quickly, but what did it do to the fragile tobacco leaves until it did?  I mean, if it's powerful enough to kill the surface mold on contact, wouldn't you think it would also be powerful to at least change the wrapper somewhat?  You know, the part of the cigar that is the majority of the taste of the cigar?  No thank you.

My $00.02 is that if you really want to wipe your cigar wrapper, a little distilled water should do the trick.  Then, promptly smoke the darn thing.  Even if you clean it up on the outside, you have no way to know how deeply impinged the mold is into the body of the cigar.  I'm as cheap as the next guy, but when it comes to cigars with any amount of mold at all, they get pitched.  Period.

WOW - More information that I ever really wanted to know about mold but yes, very informative.

Will try search more often - but I still like the opinions and perspective 

Who doesn't enjoy a good conversation about Mold every now and then  ;-)

theebug said:
WOW - More information that I ever really wanted to know about mold but yes, very informative.

Will try search more often - but I still like the opinions and perspective 

Who doesn't enjoy a good conversation about Mold every now and then  ;-)

...perhaps people that have answered the same question again and again and again and again and again...... :whistling:

tomthirtysix said:
I unfortunately agree.

Two follow-up questions: Has anyone attempted to save cigars with Mold ? (wipe them with bleach...)

This guy used to wipe his cigars with bleach:

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/topic/69762-mold-plume-debate/page-2#entry1049313

Of course, maybe smoking bleach is what made him think plume can appear in 2 months, or maybe why he hasn't been heard from in almost 2 years.
Holy Crap! I forgot about him haha!