• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

PM's from a Lurker

Maybe the whole intimidation angle was just a smokescreen for the fact that the lurker is actually a customs agent trying a new angle to fish for information.

The shift key however requires very little formal training, and should be used by all. Also, this is not a chat room or a text message forum.
damn right u n00bs need to get ur act 2gether. i cant believe tha nerve of some ppl...

Poor Lurker. I got into cigars and lurked for six months, built my first coolidor, got set up with beads instead of PG, and found some great recommendations for cigars before finally joining.

As a newbie, and half intelligent, I could have continued lurking and found all the answers to all the newb questions with the "search" function. I eventually joined because I wanted to be a part of the "Community" and get to know the people behind the keyboards. Granted I'm not on all the time, but I've chatted with a few of you and had the pleasure of participating in Secret Santa '07 and have really enjoyed my time on here. Come to think of it, I think I've resolved to become a bigger part of this forum just from this post.

So you see Lurker, you can stick with Google and find your sources, and you can find your answers by hanging around, but you'll never be a part of the forum until you understand WHY you want to be a part of it.

Maybe I've got too few posts to be speaking on this subject, but I feel like I've got a grasp of what "community" means. Feel free to hand my ass to me if I'm wrong.

Well, I've lurked my ass off here, it took me over a year after joining to post an intro. I post mainly at another board that happens to have quite a few members that are members here as well, but it has fewer regular posters and less going on.....not a bad thing for me, just different. I see alot of you at some boards I frequent as a lurker.

This is a large board, lots of information, lots of "happenings", large numbers of extremely knowledgeable and generous BOTL's, and many with long histories here and obvious personal friendships. This, in and of itself, can be intimidating........like filling up the Saturday foursome when Elmer gets sick. I find that, in my noobiness, I rarely have anything "new" to say as regards cigar content........and yeah, in this rather sophisticated (not meant negatively) environment I hesitate to offer reviews, etc.....(again, not meant negatively). I've not joined a pass or completed the newb sampler trade here, and I don't think my post count qualifies as active member so B/S/T forum is a no go as well. I have no issue with that and respect the rules here.

Would I PM any member and ask for a source.......no. Would I maybe PM and ask for advice on something specific other than a source......yep.......maybe introduce myself and see if a trade can be worked out....yep. I don't see anything wrong with that. If the member chose not to trade with me, or objected to my PM they could ignore it or reply to that affect......no harm, no foul.

I have never in my time here witnessed an unjustified attack on a newby.........correction and/or clarification to the degree dictated by the newb's attitude....you betcha', as it should be.

Can't believe I posted twice in one day.

Some people do find this place almost "too big" and hard to keep up with all the happenings here. I know quite a few very good guys from some smaller boards that have told me this more than once. I used to feel the same way about cigarweekly when it was huge and this place was small but look what happened, CP has grown and CW has become a mere shell of what it used to be.

Hopefully others will find that CP is indeed the premiere cigar board on the 'net and participate here more in the future.

No mods here and no post deleting, that's what separates CP from the others.

The shift key however requires very little formal training, and should be used by all. Also, this is not a chat room or a text message forum.
damn right u n00bs need to get ur act 2gether. i cant believe tha nerve of some ppl...
Friggin' Hoosiers
Ha! I've lived here a year now, and I still haven't found anyone who can tell me what the hell a Hoosier is.

hoser.jpg

Oh wait...nevermind...you said "HOOSIER."

The "lurker" stated that he won't post here because he thinks the older members come down too hard on newer members for no reason, therefore, he has decided to read and not post. Which is fine to read and not post, however when you make a comment like that, stating that he feels intimated by the "fogs", that just doesn't make sense.

Not really fair for him to complain about something if he's never tried it in the first place...

Ha! I've lived here a year now, and I still haven't found anyone who can tell me what the hell a Hoosier is.
It's a Vols fan who lives in Indiana... :sign:

The people who come here and post/interact like they would in person, are the ones who stick around and become part of this community. If you come here thinking that you deserve everything and give nothing, you aren't going to last.

I had the pleasure of meeting people at the CP herf and they were the same in person as they are on here, maybe just a little shorter :D

Be yourself, give respect to others(regardless of tenure) and you'll last to become a part of this board.

So let this thread be a lesson to lurkers. If you baselessly complain in PM that noobs just get their asses handed to them as a matter of course, lurking will not offer you all of the protection you thought you'd enjoy. It may be anonymous ass but it's been handed back all the same. :laugh:

I'm sure this has been said many times before...

No one's gonna give out their sources unless some sort of trust is formed.

Also, CP is a community, not just a cigar forum.

To the newbs, start posting and start interacting...and then we'll get to know you.
Once we know who you are...and that you'll add to the community here...you'll probably end up with the info you seek.

We are friendly here...it's those a$$holes that we're weeding out.

Understandably, the context/tone of e-mails and posts can cause misunderstandings...so be thoughtful with your posts.

Remember there are codes of conduct to ANY forum or blog.

I'm sure this has been said many times before...

No one's gonna give out their sources unless some sort of trust is formed.

Also, CP is a community, not just a cigar forum.

To the newbs, start posting and start interacting...and then we'll get to know you.
Once we know who you are...and that you'll add to the community here...you'll probably end up with the info you seek.

We are friendly here...it's those a$holes that we're weeding out.

Understandably, the context/tone of e-mails and posts can cause misunderstandings...so be thoughtful with your posts.

Remember there are codes of conduct to ANY forum or blog.

Very true.

This is a good thread! :thumbs:

In my almost 4 years on this board I can think of NO ONE who was called out who didn't deserve it. Even I've been called out by the FOGs for stupid things I posted and I deserved every one of them. Live, post, and learn.