• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Police/Fire/EMS/Dispatchers

vengo97

I was just curious how many fellow emergency workers there were on here. I work as an Emergency Medical Dispatcher, and EMT in Minnesota. Anyone else.

BTW searching for EMS comes up with quite a few false results :)

Tom

I am a police dispatcher. I currently have an offer standing with another agency for a position of police/fire/ems dispatcher, but am undecided on taking it at this point. I've always wanted to be in law enforcement, so I figured dispatching would be a great start since I am too young to get my basic law enforcement certification yet.
B

Retired National Park Ranger(28 years LE/Fire/EMS) here and for the last four years I worked for them I was manager of one of their regional communications centers.

I'm an ex volunteer firefighter of 15 years. I recently moved and haven't joined the ranks of my new neighborhood department yet. I'm a little concerned with the cowboy mentality that I've experienced in working with them previously, so we'll see if I do. I also don't have the time to offer like I used to.

I miss it very much. I miss my station, I miss my boys. There are times where I wish I'd never left. There's nothing like waking up to a tone at 3am.

Its like a quiet symphony. Its a quiet drive to the station a few blocks away listening to the radio traffic, hoping its going to be something worthy of my waking (they all are, but you know what I mean) I lived the closest to the station, so I would casually open the bay doors, and walk to my rack and start getting dressed in anticipation of the coming excitement. By the time I had my bunker pants on, the first sleepy souls are arriving. There's a quiet nod of comradery. I'd put the truck in service over the radio and verify I knew exactly where we were going. By this time the bay is full of a buzz of excitement from the greener guys. I'd bark at everyone to slow down and make sure they gear up correctly and safely. I can still here the click of the door mechanism as I'd slide into the OIC seat (that's the front passenger seat, officer in charge) just about the time the truck fires up. The smell of diesel fumes immediately fill the bay as the doors are opening and my crew is piling into the truck. I'd again bark for seatbelts and verify we were ready to go. And then.. And then.. OFF into the night we'd ride, lights blazing. It was like soldiers on a mission, or pirates setting sail for a schooner to plunder. The quiet calm ride would only be transcended by the turbos and the jake brakes until we got out of the neighborhood. No one spoke. As we turned into the main lanes of the local thoroughfare, the nights quiet ended in a cacophony of dual sirens, Q2 (the air raid sounding siren), and air horns. By this time I was completely geared up and ready for anything. I never thought about it, it just happens naturally. I've gained 75lbs in mere minutes and I'm carrying an assortment of tools, safety devices, turnout gear, scba (breathign apparatus). As we near the scene my serene attitude flips a switch and I start barking orders and preparing my crew for the coming moments. First in, every time. I settled for nothing less. There was no lolly gagging. There were no winers or pussies on my crew. I trust my life with them and they with me. Brothers. Closer than brothers.

yeah, I miss it.

Whats up fellas?.....Im a FF/Paramedic here in Texas.......love what im doing and feel proud everyday that Im there....couldnt ask for anything else!!

I work part time as an EMT out here in central PA. Had a rough night last night...got attacked by some chick overdosing on something, and worked a really crappy code. Wouldn't give it up for anything right now though! The job is very interesting, to say the least!

I am a certified EMT-B but have only worked as one for about 3 months.

11 years Military Poice in the Army.......

Love every min of it

Tim

3 years as a reserve police officer. Made a lot of good friends. Seen some stuff I thought I would never see or imagine. Highly recommend it to anyone who is interested/qualified.

Was a police/fire/EMS dispatcher for a while longer ago than I care to think.

Cool, a lot more dispatchers here then I thought. We're always the one's that no one ever thinks of. Out of sight, out of mind is so true.

I was thinking, much further in the future, when I get more cigar and pass experience, of doing an Emergency Services Pass. Maybe with a patch exchange, or some other trinkets like that.

County police for 9 years now...Counting down to 30.

TampaSupremo

Is that like a county Sherrif Dept??

No. All the metro counties around Atlanta have sheriff and police departments. The sheriff's office serves papers and warrants, runs the jails, and works in the courthouses. The police perform enforcement, street patrol, criminal investigations, etc. Once you get away from Atlanta, the counties typically have only a sheriff's dept that runs the whole show with the individual municipalities having a police dept.

TampaSupremo