• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Poor Mans Cigars?

RoguePuffer

Greetings everyone,

I am a 32 yr old disabled veteran living in Southern Oregon. After all my injuries in the military, I am limited physicaly in my hobbies. I can still shoot at the range, ride my motorcycle, and fish. this year I rediscovered my love of cigars and combining them with my hobbies. I have indulged in some Drew Estate selections all singles and enjoyed them all. However living on my disability and supporting my family, I cannot afford to buy the nice cigars I would like to purchase, and have no clue what I do or dont like in cigars because I dont want to waste money buying random cigars just to guess. I do not like harsh cigars or that realy heavy spicy flavor. if anyone has any suggestions for inexpensive smokes or realy good lower line daily smokes please let me know. Its realy just one of my few relaxing releases and I would like to be able to enjoy it.

Scott

Welcome!! As many have told before me, It is hard to beat any of the Padron X000's series. They are fantastic. They are not the infused cigars like the Drew Estates, but are hard to beat. In time I bet you will enjoy them better than the flavored cigars. You should also fill out your profile, it helps everybody get to know each other a little easier.

Thanks for your service and sacrafice!! :thumbs:

DE

I'm just, in between places right now. I know what I want to say, but I don't know if I'm jumping to conclusions... I just, it's hard to say.

At any rate, post an introduction here and read the newbie rule book. Thank you in advance.

Also, why the choice of "Poor Puffer" as a handle? You seem to be a man rich in spirit. You served your country, you're now a veteran, you're able to fish / ride your motorcycle / go shooting at the range at the young age of 32 even though you are physically limited in your hobbies, so why would you say you are poor? If anything, you are rich!

I'm just, in between places right now. I know what I want to say, but I don't know if I'm jumping to conclusions... I just, it's hard to say.

At any rate, post an introduction here and read the newbie rule book. Thank you in advance.

Also, why the choice of "Poor Puffer" as a handle? You seem to be a man rich in spirit. You served your country, you're now a veteran, you're able to fish / ride your motorcycle / go shooting at the range at the young age of 32 even though you are physically limited in your hobbies, so why would you say you are poor? If anything, you are rich!

X2

Except I didn't write this with my Mascara running!!!

Greetings everyone,

I am a 32 yr old disabled veteran living in Southern Oregon. After all my injuries in the military, I am limited physicaly in my hobbies. I can still shoot at the range, ride my motorcycle, and fish. this year I rediscovered my love of cigars and combining them with my hobbies. I have indulged in some Drew Estate selections all singles and enjoyed them all. However living on my disability and supporting my family, I cannot afford to buy the nice cigars I would like to purchase, and have no clue what I do or dont like in cigars because I dont want to waste money buying random cigars just to guess. I do not like harsh cigars or that realy heavy spicy flavor. if anyone has any suggestions for inexpensive smokes or realy good lower line daily smokes please let me know. Its realy just one of my few relaxing releases and I would like to be able to enjoy it.

Scott

Welcome to CP. Head over to the Intro forum, and tell us about yourself.

Then check out the search function. There's probably something like eleventeen threads this year alone on the subject.

Dont get me wrong, I am rich in spirit, God has kept me alive and I am truly blessed with an awesome family, PoorPuffer only describes my wallet. I will read the newbie stuff and fill out my information. thank you to everyone for your kind advice.

WWW.Cigarbid.com. You can get some good cigars there at discount prices. Keep cigarsinternational.com open to compare prices so you don't overbid.

Ok just to get things straight in here, I will be as clear and as blunt as I possibly can.

I am not a MOOCH. I am not here to beg for cigars or expect anyone to pitty my situation and therefor send me cigars. I understand thanks to a caring member that this kind of thing has taken place here in the past and that those people are not welcome back. I totaly get that. So if you are wondering why I chose the name PoorPuffer, I thought it was a good way to describe that fact that I enjoy cigars on the lower end. I could go and buy some ferrari of cigars to enjoy once for a special ocassion and that would be fine, but I am really here to learn about cigars and hopefully through the wisdom of those who are experianced, find some low priced but very enjoyable cigars that I can fit into my personal budget.

I am very proud to be an Army Veteran, and a Disabled one at that. I share my life and experiances openly so that if there is another person out there in the same or similar situation that they can feel comfortable sharing with me. I served my country because I belive that it was the right thing to do and I would have served my 20 and retired if I had not been injured. If anyone thinks that I am lying about my service or disability and feel that they need proof for some reason, I would happily privatly share a copy of my DD214, VA Rating Letter, or My Department of Defense ID that has an indefinate experation (only available to retirees, or people who are rated 100% by the VA).

I am guessing that the comments posted in this thread were generated because of what people in the past have done. I totaly understand that. I have sent a request to the Moderator to change my name to RoguePuffer so that I dont give people the wrong impression. I would like to be an intrigal part of this community and learn all that I can. I dont appreciate smug remarks, or better than thou comments, I dont belive that anything posted previously was intended to directly point at me, but I hope that from here on out that I am treated with respect just as I will treat everone else with respect.

I look forward to asking tons of questions and some day having enough knowledge to help the next new guy that walks through the door. If anyone has any questions, comments, or anything that they want to share that they dont feel comfortable saying here in the thread, please PM me and I will deffinatly respond.

Thank you again to those that have been guiding me in the right directions and teaching me about the CigarPass Forum.

Thank you again to those that have been guiding me in the right directions and teaching me about the CigarPass Forum.

As you see, I recently joined CP as well. I was wondering what the heck that "Cigar Pass" section was too but was too afraid to ask, lol. I have already been slapped with the search bar a couple times and I only have a handful of posts, lol.

Welcome to CP btw!

Ummm...did I miss something? Did some posts get deleted or something?
unsure.gif

Scott - I don't think anyone here accused you of being a mooch or begging for freebies, unless I missed something or something went right over my head. I certainly didn't take anything you posted that way. I just assumed that the "oh, boy" comment was a dig at you for not searching, as there have been two very similar threads very recently (that's what I thought, anyway...but maybe I'm naive?).

I'm a newb here (and to cigars), but I'm definitely an old hand at message boards...the old grizzled veterans on any message board I've ever been on always seem to get crabby about newbs asking the same old questions. Additionally, every message board has its little social quirks and particular pet peeves...here at cigar pass, making an intro thread and filling out your profile info is one of those
wink.gif

Anywho...here are a couple of recent threads to give you some suggestions on cheapies:
http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=64540
http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=64549

I find it odd that not only do you seem to understand the term mooch, but you also seem to understand what it means in the context of this forum. I reckon you got a couple of PMs that may have explained that.

Still, drop shields. Ask questions, let us get to know you. Most of all, read the rules. All noobs should read them. Really. Don't be afraid to speak your mind, but be ready to stand by your words.

Thanks for your service.

I'll be honest with you Scott, you're first two posts on this forum just screamed "mooch" to me. This one in the Jonathan Drew thread:

Johnny,

I am a 32 yr old disabled veteran living in Oregon. I love Drew Estate cigars especially because I have not smoked one I dident care for. I have been fortunate enough to try the tabak especial corona negra, extra ordinary larry, kuba kuba, kuba maduro, blondie, deep dish, and natural root. thease have all been extravagances for me living on my disability and having a family to take care of. I was wondering what Drew Estate might be offering that I could afford to smoke on a regular basis? I love everthing that Jonathan has been doing and want to continue supporting Drew Estate, but lets face it... there not cheap! and I know you get what you pay for, but with my Drew Estate hat and cigar cutter I would rather be smoking drew estate!

Scott

And this one in this thread:

Greetings everyone,

Scott

I've been wrong before and will be wrong again but that was my first impression. I truly hope you do stick around and become a contributing member of CP, I can guarantee that you will not regret it. But I figured I would at least pay you the compliment of being honest with you and the reason I posted my "Oh Boy".

Moe,

Plain and simple I am looking for advice and knowledge.

the Drew Estate rep might have a line or seconds line that he can turn me on to that is more affordable, I know that I like all the drew estate cigars that I have tried so far. Better to ask the source right?

In the other thread, I was telling people about myself and asking for advice on cigars that might be affordable to my individual budget and not taste like crap.

I was very thankfull that one of the members sent me a PM explaining some of the past problems with other people. He explaind the mooch issue and was realy interested in finding out more about me. I realy appreciated what He had to say and went in to action to make my position known.

I understand that some of you get tired of Noobs making Noobie mistakes... Get over it and lend a helpfull hand instead of turning up your nose like a snob, you were a noob once yourself.

I also belive that from my point of view there are some people in here that are very jaded in their opinions, and mabey with good reason but why not handle your concerns with a friendly PM and talk one on one with the individual and voice your concerns. remember that old saying about flies and honey?

I hope that this clears up your concerns, if it does not please feel free to either ask more questions or pm me or ignore me if that is your choice. I am here to learn, grow, and chat and I hope that everyone else is to.

I'll be honest with you Scott, you're first two posts on this forum just screamed "mooch" to me. This one in the Jonathan Drew thread:

Johnny,

I am a 32 yr old disabled veteran living in Oregon. I love Drew Estate cigars especially because I have not smoked one I dident care for. I have been fortunate enough to try the tabak especial corona negra, extra ordinary larry, kuba kuba, kuba maduro, blondie, deep dish, and natural root. thease have all been extravagances for me living on my disability and having a family to take care of. I was wondering what Drew Estate might be offering that I could afford to smoke on a regular basis? I love everthing that Jonathan has been doing and want to continue supporting Drew Estate, but lets face it... there not cheap! and I know you get what you pay for, but with my Drew Estate hat and cigar cutter I would rather be smoking drew estate!

Scott

And this one in this thread:

Greetings everyone,

Scott

I've been wrong before and will be wrong again but that was my first impression. I truly hope you do stick around and become a contributing member of CP, I can guarantee that you will not regret it. But I figured I would at least pay you the compliment of being honest with you and the reason I posted my "Oh Boy".

Ok...I'm interested now. You say you are a Disabled Veteran and poor. Yet it sounds like you have a 100% rating. If this is the case and you are married, you are getting near $3000 a month. Now if you have kids, its more than that. If you have a 100% rating and the fact that you have the ID card for Base Privileges, that means you have to be at a 100% rating. You only get that card 3 ways to my knowledge. The first being retired 20+ years. The second is being rated at 100% disabled by the VA. Lastly you get rated at 100% Unemployablility.

Again, I will say this if you do have a 100% rating, you better watch your P's and Q's in real life. The VA does look into those with a 100% rating. I wished I could have that rating and still be able to ride a motorcycle. You will see I know a lot about the Veteran's Administration. I myself have been rated at 100% Unemployability as many on CP know my story and how it came to pass. I will wake up one day and never walk again. After fighting the VA for nearly a decade, I won my case. I've also survived Esophageal Cancer that was caused by my medical treatment at the VA. And lastly, are you a life time member of the DAV? If not, you may want to save the money and get into it.

With that being said. One of my favorite cheap cigars is the Punch Rothschild Maduro and the Maduro Maduro version. The wrapper can unravel. But it is a cheap cigar that when I was on a lesser rating, I bought so many 50 count boxes of these that I would know the cigar if I saw someone smoking it.

Another decent cheap cigars can be found at JR Cigars. They have 5 packs you can buy. You can also buy singles at Holts. Plenty of information out there to be found. Avoid Thompson Cigars at ALL COST. :laugh:

Thank you very much for doing your time so I could go and do mine! and your sacrafice is certianly apreciated.

BTW please PM me your real name so I can walk a lap and get a luminary for you at the relay for life this year.

Yes you are correct I am 100% total and permenant much of which is atributed to psychological disabiities, PTSD, Depressive Disorder, etc you know how the math works, my back, knee, shoulder, and ankle are all smaller percentages and the psych is much higher. I am not unemployable, just very difficult to employ due to my various issues, otherwise they wouldent have me in college as a matter of fact I just dropped the chapter 31 program in favor of the chapter 33 program.

My wife is a stay at home mom taking care of me, my 3yr old little girl and 13 son, she has her hands full so the VA is our only income,,

I am lucky to still be able to ride a motorcycle, physicaly it kills me, anything over about 10 miles, but mentaly it rips me out of deep depressive slumps. I live on vicodin just to get out of bed every day, but I would rather get up and do something than lay in bed wanting to kill myself because of the pain. Some days are much better than others, some are much worse.

I am not a life member of the DAV I am a member of the VFW, but I have never had a lot of experiance with the DAV other than seeing ther vans around the Domacilary in white city.

Thanks for the advice on the Punch Rothschild Maduro. I will look into them on the 1st.

And to my Brother In Arms Welcome Home!

[quote name='Mr Peat' date='17 May 2010 - 09:57 PM' timestamp='1274162276' post='970030'
Ok...I'm interested now. You say you are a Disabled Veteran and poor. Yet it sounds like you have a 100% rating. If this is the case and you are married, you are getting near $3000 a month. Now if you have kids, its more than that. If you have a 100% rating and the fact that you have the ID card for Base Privileges, that means you have to be at a 100% rating. You only get that card 3 ways to my knowledge. The first being retired 20+ years. The second is being rated at 100% disabled by the VA. Lastly you get rated at 100% Unemployablility.

Again, I will say this if you do have a 100% rating, you better watch your P's and Q's in real life. The VA does look into those with a 100% rating. I wished I could have that rating and still be able to ride a motorcycle. You will see I know a lot about the Veteran's Administration. I myself have been rated at 100% Unemployability as many on CP know my story and how it came to pass. I will wake up one day and never walk again. After fighting the VA for nearly a decade, I won my case. I've also survived Esophageal Cancer that was caused by my medical treatment at the VA. And lastly, are you a life time member of the DAV? If not, you may want to save the money and get into it.

With that being said. One of my favorite cheap cigars is the Punch Rothschild Maduro and the Maduro Maduro version. The wrapper can unravel. But it is a cheap cigar that when I was on a lesser rating, I bought so many 50 count boxes of these that I would know the cigar if I saw someone smoking it.

Another decent cheap cigars can be found at JR Cigars. They have 5 packs you can buy. You can also buy singles at Holts. Plenty of information out there to be found. Avoid Thompson Cigars at ALL COST. :laugh:
[/quote]

http://www.oregon.gov/ODVA/BENEFITS/statebenefits.shtml

Benefits for Veterans by the State of Oregon. If you wasn't aware of it already.