• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Post-Thanksgiving Sales

mkb71804 said:
I was at our mall at 5:30 this morning. I think it's worth getting there early enough to be first in the store...you get a good parking spot and only have to fight the traffic when leaving the mall. I went to a LOT of stores and I was home by 11:30. All of my Christmas shopping is done now! :)
You are a brave sould mkb :p battling the "Black Friday" crowd :D

coventrycat86 said:
mkb71804 said:
I was at our mall at 5:30 this morning. I think it's worth getting there early enough to be first in the store...you get a good parking spot and only have to fight the traffic when leaving the mall. I went to a LOT of stores and I was home by 11:30. All of my Christmas shopping is done now! :)
You are a brave sould mkb :p battling the "Black Friday" crowd :D
Well, you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm just glad to have Christmas shopping out of the way. The deals are worth getting up early!

Was up at the big mall store at 3:30 a.m. yesterday to do a store visit, then left at 4 to head to my store so we could open at 6 a.m. and was here until close at 10 p.m.

The really bad part?

My company in their infinite wisdom decided to stay with a heavy tv advertisement strategy and pull all the hott friday paper advertisements.

Needless to say profits sucked yesterday as did traffic to most of our stores. :(

However, the season is looking good for us so should be fun :)

Sam

Organized chaos at my Circuit City store. Had 400 people lined up for an orderly entrance at 6am. Had a lot of fun with the crowd between 5 & 6, giving out free raffle tickets to give away some gift cards. Then one of my sales managers got out the bullhorn and did had a screaming contest between the "Circuit" customers and the "City" customers. 6am was the "Store Director, open those doors!" cheer. Only one jerkoff for the whole day, and we kicked some serious budget $ butt. Best black friday of my sixteen with the company.

Gregor

While I have had to endure the last 24 hour Christmas shopping madness, its always ended with me swearing never to wait until the last minute again. Nonetheless, it'll probably happen in some fashion again this year. That said, I've never understood the shopping on the day after Thanksgiving thing. Just seems that with the advent of the internet, you can get comparable deals without all the waiting in line and navigating around the hoards of other shoppers. And, for the most part you can get an instant 7-8% discount (at least here in CA) by avoiding paying the sales tax. :D

Well, get this.

My wife is a nut for antiques. We routinelyhit all of the antique stores, thrift stores, yard sales, etc.... Well, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving we go to the Salvation Army store to pick up this bitchin' chair my wife found. We pick it up and find out that on Friday (Black Friday) they have a 3 hour (6AM - 9AM) 75% off sale.

Now, my wife and I scout out some stuff. I really nice set of 6 oak dinette chairs, some books (leather bound for my office bookshelf), and some other small trinkets and stuff. We leave there Wednesday with this plan to show up at 5:30AM on Friday. Well, we get there at 5:25AM and we are 2nd in line. This really nice old lady is in front of us and we get to talkin'..........and yeah, wouldn't you know it.........she was there for the dinette chairs. We bull****ted with her until the store opened, we got the other things, I helped her put them into her mini-van and on the way out got the location of another Salvation Store in the next city having the same sale.

My wife and I say what the hell........We drive 20 minutes and find this place. Come to find out this is the main distribution center with a store in the front of the plant. We walk in..........there is a million people all over the place. My wife heads straight for the furniture and stuff looking for any gems. I'm grabbing a free donut and I catch something in my peripheral vision. I walk quickly over to it see the tag for $1,000.......compute the discount (75% off makes it $250), and start to really check this thing out.

It's a little worn and the paint is flaking in some areas. You can tell it is weathered and about 100 years old by the bottom carving of the date (1915). I start drooling and yell across the store to my wife. As she is making her way through the crowd I am bearhugging this thing into line. She meets me in line and her eyes got as big as baseballs. She says to me, "you've been looking for one of those for a long time now". I say, "Yep". I can barely control my satisfaction as I get up to the cashier. As I'm getting ready to break out a small wad of cash and pay for this thing, a store manager walks over to me and delivers a gut punch......."I'm sorry sir, but that was sold first thing this morning. A gentleman was waiting outside at 4:30AM for us to open. He bought it fair and square this morning when we opened."

Needless to say, I am not just completely saddened, but also a bit miffed. I look around and see the signs, "you buy it you take it.......no holds". I point to the sign and ask the manager what the deal is. He says, "Well, I understand what you are saying, but technically we are not holding it, the gentleman is still here. He is waiting for his wife to pick him up." Shocked, I ask the manager to point him out. I figure I can offer the guy and extra $50 and maybe steal this thing from him.

I walk up to this sweet old man and strike up a conversation with him. I offer him the extra $50 and even an extra Benji. But no dice. He says he's been looking for one of these forever. I bid the old guy a nice find and a farewell. As the old guy goes inside the store, and as I turn away, I catch the same minivan and the same old lady pulling in that beat us to the chairs. And then, right in front of my eyes, the old guy is helping a store employee carry his find out to THAT MINI-VAN.

His wife snaked us on the chairs, and he beat me to a rare and very valuable 6' hand carved, very flattering CIGAR STORE INDIAN.

Man, I did not know whether to cry or laugh. I just looked on in amazement as he loaded it into his mini-van and drove off. My wife saw this from inside the store and couldn't help but laugh.

Black Friday Sucks...........even at the Salvation Army!!

Still pissed off,

M. Gipson

Wow GT, I can't help but laugh. I just hope I'm laughing with you. :p

Wildcard said:
Wow GT, I can't help but laugh. I just hope I'm laughing with you. :p
Believe me. A little "with", a little "at". It's all the same at this point.

M. Gipson

My wife goes but not me, since after all it is the middle of duck season. Last year I was driving to the duck club on my normal route, over the road where there are lots of malls and shopping. The time was about 5:30am and I forgot about that the Black Friday thing and what day it was. So I wondered why there was so much traffic and I began cutting in and out of traffic in an attempt to make it in time for shooting hours.

I was pulled over by a policeman who said he stopped me because I was making erratic movements through traffic. When I explained that I was not used to all this traffic at 5:30 am and where I was going he let me go since I really had broken no traffic laws.