• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Post Throttle?

insight

Making friends everywhere!
Is there a way to make it so if someone posts x amount of times in 10 minutes they can't post for an hour or something? Honestly it is a huge pain in the ass when someone makes 20 new posts in 15 minutes and takes up the whole first page when "viewing new posts". It seems like an "excess flood" feature could be useful.

You mean when folks "post pad" by posting to "Introduce Yourself Here" as fast as they can. :whistling:

What, you have a problem with 22 posts in 18 minutes?

Flood control is tight enough without annoying members. You, me, Carl, and Dan are the newb throttling committee. Who is this lad?

Flood control is tight enough without annoying members. You, me, Carl, and Dan are the newb throttling committee. Who is this lad?

Yeah throttling was really a monkey term in this case. What I was hinting at was a post cap per-hour. Honestly there is rarely a rational reason to be posting more than 10 times in an hour (and that is being VERY generous IMO).

It has gotten out of hand, and been pointed out numerous times but obviously hasn't worked.

It has been mentioned over and over again. It does not help and continues to be a problem. The person logs on goes to the page and answers everyone on there then logs off. Does that add value? I don't think so, but one can hope.

Could you add a sticky in that thread stating such voilations of post padding will not be tolerated. It could be as simple as stating what is consider post padding and what is adding to the post, for those that don't get it.

Rich

Is this in reference to the intro forum? If so, I may have a solution...

Exactly what it's in reference to Rod. Welcoming 38 new members all within 10 minutes really bogs it down.

No kidding. Try welcoming someone now. ;)

Its actually kind of a paradox. With 500 new guys a day posting an intro, who is supposed to go say "howdy"? Yes, its annoying to see one guy with 50+ howdys in one day, but still...

Ummm.....so now we can't reply to anyone in the intro section?

Honestly it is a huge pain in the ass when someone makes 20 new posts in 15 minutes and takes up the whole first page when "viewing new posts".

Click on the "2" at the bottom of the page to view the next page.

So the solution is to not allow replies at all? That's ridiculous. Read through >this< thread and see how many people say they really felt welcomed to the community by replies to their intro thread.

Honestly it is a huge pain in the ass when someone makes 20 new posts in 15 minutes and takes up the whole first page when "viewing new posts".

Click on the "2" at the bottom of the page to view the next page.

So the solution is to not allow replies at all? That's ridiculous. Read through >this< thread and see how many people say they really felt welcomed to the community by replies to their intro thread.

Seconded. While it's annoying to see someone as the last reply for the whole first page of introductions (as you know there isn't much thought put into it), at the same time, it is some of the first personal attention someone receives when entering the community. The newer guys get their "moment in the spotlight," and while it may be post padding, it is very inviting for someone to stick around and contribute.

Just my .02