• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Post Throttle?

Tough crowd.
Lol, In my opinion I think some things need to be made clear to a certain few people. That way, we can still welcome people coming through, but also not have to deal with the 20 posts in 10 minutes ordeal. Or just take a swing on the ol' ban hammer Todd ;)

Honestly it is a huge pain in the ass when someone makes 20 new posts in 15 minutes and takes up the whole first page when "viewing new posts".

Click on the "2" at the bottom of the page to view the next page.

So the solution is to not allow replies at all? That's ridiculous. Read through >this< thread and see how many people say they really felt welcomed to the community by replies to their intro thread.

It is one thing to type a specific welcome, but a 15 second copy and paste welcome to 20 consecutive new members is not very welcoming, in fact it is just the opposite. It says your not worth my time to actually type, I just want to post pad.

So what if we all decide to do it? What page number do we click then?

Talk to the people that are doing it, directly, if it bothers you so much. And not _everyone_ is going to start doing it, so don't play that card.

It's Rod's house, though, so either way... just seems silly that this is something that requires a new rule, the "ban hammer" or an outright block to replies... :rolleyes:

Jeez, if you have a problem with George just PM him ;)

Is there a way to make it so if someone posts x amount of times in 10 minutes they can't post for an hour or something? Honestly it is a huge pain in the ass when someone makes 20 new posts in 15 minutes and takes up the whole first page when "viewing new posts". It seems like an "excess flood" feature could be useful.

Feel free to reply to threads in the intro forum.

Honestly it is a huge pain in the ass when someone makes 20 new posts in 15 minutes and takes up the whole first page when "viewing new posts".

Click on the "2" at the bottom of the page to view the next page.

So the solution is to not allow replies at all? That's ridiculous. Read through >this< thread and see how many people say they really felt welcomed to the community by replies to their intro thread.

It is one thing to type a specific welcome, but a 15 second copy and paste welcome to 20 consecutive new members is not very welcoming, in fact it is just the opposite. It says your not worth my time to actually type, I just want to post pad.

So what if we all decide to do it? What page number do we click then?

I agree and disagree. While a 'copy & paste' intro may seem like post padding, when someone does that, it becomes their personal welcome mat.. I can read the welcome posted and know who it is from without looking at the member's name. I've always considered that a kind gesture before post padding.

Also, to limit the Welcome posts, that is counterproductive to having the "Introduce Yourself Here' forum. Like many have already stated here in this thread, that is where a person feels the camaraderie of CP to begin with. Since I have been a member here, I always felt it was the responsibility of the Senior members to welcome the new folks....and I still follow that rule today. I usually only welcome a new member to CP when they live close to me where maybe I can get together with them for a smoke or from an area I've lived in previously or traveled to before.

Like you guys keep saying, the number of posts has nothing to do with a member's standing within the Community anyway....so why should post padding be an issue now? What is the difference between someone posting 10 links to funny pictures and someone else posting 10 'Welcome' posts? Just because you know one person and not the other person shouldn't make one OK and the other wrong.

Just my .02

Talk to the people that are doing it, directly, if it bothers you so much. And not _everyone_ is going to start doing it, so don't play that card.

It's Rod's house, though, so either way... just seems silly that this is something that requires a new rule, the "ban hammer" or an outright block to replies... :rolleyes:

Phil and Ben - it'll get better when you're OLDER. :sign:

While the tangential response may have been to shut off replies to the intro forum that is a bit disjointed from my original point. John I don't think I mentioned the intro forum in any incarnation even once in this thread. I mentioned excessive posting in a small time frame. The topic is about limiting the amount of posts a user can make to promote thinking before posting and reduce clutter. Why on earth does someone need to make 20+ posts in fifteen minutes when the typical user makes less than five posts a day. Are you really defending the right of people to post-whore ad inifinitum? And you can't just hit 'view page 2' because the view new posts feature doesn't segregate by user.

Phil and Ben - it'll get better when you're OLDER. :sign:
LOL Bruce. I think the things that get worse far outweigh the things that get better. :whistling: I'm just sayin'.

While the tangential response may have been to shut off replies to the intro forum that is a bit disjointed from my original point. John I don't think I mentioned the intro forum in any incarnation even once in this thread. I mentioned excessive posting in a small time frame. The topic is about limiting the amount of posts a user can make to promote thinking before posting and reduce clutter. Why on earth does someone need to make 20+ posts in fifteen minutes when the typical user makes less than five posts a day. Are you really defending the right of people to post-whore ad inifinitum? And you can't just hit 'view page 2' because the view new posts feature doesn't segregate by user.

Indeed.