• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Postcard in the mail today

Status
Not open for further replies.
cigarsarge said:
My addy has been pulled from my profile due to this asshat. Those that I frequently correspond have it. Those that want it can PM me. Our community has been violated by a profiteer and I don't like it.
[snapback]219191[/snapback]​

you see this is why what you did is wrong!!!!

you violated the trust :angry2:

whats the saying---"you gont GET it"

OutlawD said:
cigarsarge said:
My addy has been pulled from my profile due to this asshat. Those that I frequently correspond have it. Those that want it can PM me. Our community has been violated by a profiteer and I don't like it.
[snapback]219191[/snapback]​

you see this is why what you did is wrong!!!!

you violated the trust :angry2:

whats the saying---"you gont GET it"
[snapback]219450[/snapback]​

AMEN!!!!

bchem said:
cigarsarge said:
bchem said:
I don't know, I see everyone's point, but if someone is looney enough to try and get junk mail sent to your address, or even worse, show up at your door step, do you really think that not having an address in your profile is going to stop them?  There is the almighty google, white pages, phonebook, etc. like CC stated.  If you piss someone off enough on this board, and they are actually crazy, addy in profile or not, they're gonna track you down....but that's why we have the 2nd amendment :whistling:  ;)
[snapback]219301[/snapback]​

I know that..Just not gonna make it too easy on em.
[snapback]219302[/snapback]​

Cigarsarge: Little off topic but if I gather correctly you are one of the LEO's on this site right? Just out of curiosity, I know it's kinda hard to escape google and all that, but short of keeping your number unlisted in the phone book, to police departments have any measures that they can take to help keep your address and phone number out of public view? It seems like you would want it to be hard to find. The people you deal with sometimes aren't the most "stable" to say the least. If I was a police officer, I wouldn't want the guys I arrest to be able to look up the address of my family in the phone book or anywhere else! Just curious how that all works.

OK, sorry for thread jacking. :p
[snapback]219322[/snapback]​

My personel file is a matter of public record. Annyone can walk off the street and request it. At this time addresses of department employees are available. The situation has been addressed and I guess is still in limbo.

In addition a local cable TV provider now broadcasts our radio traffic on a special "Scanner Channel." Granted folks have scanners and can follow our traffic. Now every house I go into has our traffic on the tube. It really creats an unsafe working enviorment for us.

cigarsarge said:
bchem said:
cigarsarge said:
bchem said:
I don't know, I see everyone's point, but if someone is looney enough to try and get junk mail sent to your address, or even worse, show up at your door step, do you really think that not having an address in your profile is going to stop them? There is the almighty google, white pages, phonebook, etc. like CC stated. If you piss someone off enough on this board, and they are actually crazy, addy in profile or not, they're gonna track you down....but that's why we have the 2nd amendment :whistling: ;)
[snapback]219301[/snapback]​

I know that..Just not gonna make it too easy on em.
[snapback]219302[/snapback]​

Cigarsarge: Little off topic but if I gather correctly you are one of the LEO's on this site right? Just out of curiosity, I know it's kinda hard to escape google and all that, but short of keeping your number unlisted in the phone book, to police departments have any measures that they can take to help keep your address and phone number out of public view? It seems like you would want it to be hard to find. The people you deal with sometimes aren't the most "stable" to say the least. If I was a police officer, I wouldn't want the guys I arrest to be able to look up the address of my family in the phone book or anywhere else! Just curious how that all works.

OK, sorry for thread jacking. :p
[snapback]219322[/snapback]​

My personel file is a matter of public record. Annyone can walk off the street and request it. At this time addresses of department employees are available. The situation has been addressed and I guess is still in limbo.

In addition a local cable TV provider now broadcasts our radio traffic on a special "Scanner Channel." Granted folks have scanners and can follow our traffic. Now every house I go into has our traffic on the tube. It really creats an unsafe working enviorment for us.
[snapback]219856[/snapback]​

wow, that's surprising, don't really see the logic in that either points you mentioned. what jerk would make it easier for people (possibly crazies) to anticipate your arrival at a situation? seems like that's just asking for trouble.

ok end threadjack!

stay safe out there brother!

YEAH!!!!

I finally got my postcard..

Well now we will all know the truth.

He in fact did scan all the users on this board and take the addy's from their profiles. How do I know this.
Well Alex is my middle name.
And I am only registered on this board under alex LASTNAME.

Well today the postcard came addressed to Alex LASTNAME. Whenever i order from a cigar place or vendor I use my entire name : FIRSTNAME middle initial (A)LASTNAME. So if this in fact did come from a CIGAR LIST It would of come addressed FIRSTNAME middle initial (A) LASTNAME and not Alex LASTNAME.

Well being the nice guy that I am I will be posting up the 10% off coupon code on all the forums I am on. Hopefully ppl use it because I definately won't. Unless he satts carrying cigars from the darkside :love:

coupon code : G6LK9Z8QN

alexgtp said:
YEAH!!!!

He in fact did scan all the users on this board and take the addy's from their profiles. How do I know this.

Well today the postcard came addressed to Alex LASTNAME. Whenever i order from a cigar place or vendor I use my entire name : FIRSTNAME middle initial (A)LASTNAME. So if this in fact did come from a CIGAR LIST It would of come addressed FIRSTNAME middle initial (A) LASTNAME and not Alex LASTNAME.

Well being the nice guy that I am I will be posting up the 10% off coupon code on all the forums I am on. Hopefully ppl use it because I definately won't. Unless he satts carrying cigars from the darkside  :love:

[snapback]220776[/snapback]​

From this day fourth you shall be known as the man whose lastname is LASTNAME. :thumbs:

Boy did Kevin Whacker or whoever he his step in it or what. :D

I eagerly await the explanation for this one from Kevin.

alexgtp said:
YEAH!!!!

Well being the nice guy that I am I will be posting up the 10% off coupon code on all the forums I am on. Hopefully ppl use it because I definately won't. Unless he satts carrying cigars from the darkside :love:

It is important to note that the mailing was certainly not Cigar Pass related. Many of you recieved them because you are very active in the community and have your name on lists elsewhere. Interestingly enough, my name and address was also on the list, but I am always purchasing something, so it makes sense.

Just to remind you Kevin, the above is your lie.

How do you explain Alex receiving a post card from you that had the IDENTICAL address that he has posted here?

I received a card from you as well, it matched my CigarPass address EXACTLY. I never use "Bill" with ANY cigar vendors, bank accounts, magazine subscriptions, etc. I ALWAYS use "William" so once again you are BUSTED.

Therefore you are a lying scumbag, NOTHING in that you stated in the paragraph above that I quoted from you is true.

You're worse than Scotty.......

This guy hasn't ripped anybody off... Yet.....

Kevin just doesn't know the truth from a pile of dog$hit... I know I wouldn't do business with someone who isn't fully into the whole reality thing, and feels he's more important than his customers...

I havent recieved a post card yet and dont want to. I dont think it was the right thing to do. your conducting a business, but here at CP its more on a personal level, it just seems better if yah keep the two seperate. and if theres anything that all of us have here its our word, you just effed yourself royally, dont bother sending me anything, if you do the most it would be worth would be a fire starter. Now I may not be a lawyer but I do know that now that I have told you this if you do send, or call I can file for a law suit. Your not the only sponsor out there, and I dont appreciate being threatened with that.

K&P

Well, I received a postcard, but then I have purchased from Kevin just recently. I ordered, I waited for 2 weeks, no sticks. I emailed Kevin. He responded with shipping codes and dates. I checked, no sticks, but found out the box was stuck in the wrong bin in my building's receiving area. He was totally professional and helpful in every concern. I nursed my sticks back to health and ceremoniously smoked them down to stubs and they were very fine indeed.

This does NOT in anyway justify or make up for snail mail spamming. It is rather, a recounting of my own contact with Kevin which was totally positive.

The board is owed an apology and frankly it most likely is way too late for that. I feel it is unfortunate too, because I had every intention of making some future purchases from him because I felt some of his pricing was very competetive, and I liked being able to purchase 5ers, but now....I just don't know.

As for my address on the board, it will stay up, let the weirdo's come, I'm ready for them, my wife knows Kung Fu and we file the Dog's teeth and nails to a fine point!!

Still waiting...

moki said:
I eagerly await the explanation for this one from Kevin.

alexgtp said:
YEAH!!!!

Well being the nice guy that I am I will be posting up the 10% off coupon code on all the forums I am on. Hopefully ppl use it because I definately won't. Unless he satts carrying cigars from the darkside  :love:

[snapback]220950[/snapback]​

Sorry to reply so late in the game guys, I haven't had the time to fully think through a heart felt response and have only been able to read the posts with my handheld Treo. I have been on what I would call a very humbling trip South.

Very interesting comments indeed. I have done a cross reference of the list I bought and checked on some Cigar Pass member profiles. They all match aside from a couple of misspelling that obviously were typos. This leads me to believe that they gathered the names from Cigar Pass and added them to the list. There can't be any other explaination. I called and asked how they obtain the list and they said they recieved it through a third party. That was all they offered. This was my first time buying a list. Live and learn! I gave them names of the people that were offended by the mailing and would not like to be on the list. We sent out a total of 1,000 post cards. We had 10,000 names on the list. The other 9,000 will not go out because I do not want to offend CP members.

Here is something that really proves my intention and purchase. Coventry Cat and I have had some back and forths that leaves us both with a bitter taste in our mouths. Sad, being that I am sure we would get along well if we didn't know each others names and met at an event. Important point: If I had control over the names on this list and ever thought that CP members would be on it, I would certainly have looked for CC's name and made sure he was not sent a postcard.

You all are going to see a more mindful guy going forward. My sincerest apologies to anyone that we offended. I am not happy with the way some conversations have been going on CP and would like another chance at a cordial relationship with those that we offended with the mailing. Let me know what other questions I need to answer. I will look through the post again to see if I missed anything.

ggiese said:
This guy hasn't ripped anybody off... Yet.....

Kevin just doesn't know the truth from a pile of dog$hit... I know I wouldn't do business with someone who isn't fully into the whole reality thing, and feels he's more important than his customers...
[snapback]221061[/snapback]​

I have been truthful GGIESE. I hope my last post clears this up. Also, I will go out of my way to help my customers. I always will. I am known for writing 2 page emails in response to basic questions. I can see why you would think otherwise however.

cigardawg said:
To the vendors on the site, here is an idea. Ask (politely) if members would be interested in receiving your specials either in the mail or via email. I'm sure many of them would. Don't use this site as your personal address book. That's just disrespectful. You could put up a post for people to say yes or no. There are ways for you to do "direct advertising" without ruffling feathers.

Just some thoughts. Take them for what they are worth.
[snapback]219324[/snapback]​

This would have been a much better idea CD. I thought a direct marketing campaign was par for the course with a business. I was wrong. I did zone out quite a bit in my MBA marketing courses. I wonder if they mentioned that. Seriously, I wonder.

BGarv3 said:
symyn said:
Inthacup said:
the list of individuals we sent them to, which was a random sampling of a large list of 10,000 cigar smokers with internet access.

I don't think the biggest issue anyone here has it weather or not it is legal. I personally do not give a purples frog's pi$$ where he found my address. I do not like the fact that it may have came from a vendor I trusted with my personal information according to what Kev is saying. As CC has pointed out, this is NOT the first time Kevin has, and I agree, abused or hidden behind the fact that he is a sponser on this site and/or tried to back out of it or was not 100% truthful.

IF Kev did get the addresses as he said, then great I will just not deal with any of the vendors I have dealt with recently and for me it is fairly easy because I have only dealt with ONE new vendor. I will follow that up with this, I don't even think for a minute think this vendor sold my information to anyone because he was not only recommended to me by a FOG during a NST but I have yet to get a single email not concerning an order from them. I have a few other vendors that I have dealt with for years and this is a first so I think I can safely say it didn't come from them.

I am not overly pissed about the postcard or the mishap with the stamps, $hit happens. I am a little upset that this came to the home address and not the PO Box that I use when I sign up for just about anything(and everything inet related) with one exception, this board. Will I purchase anything from the site this is relating to? It is HIGHLY doubtful.

Just a $ worth!
[snapback]218572[/snapback]​

I think that you should have no concern with your other vendors selling to the list. There are 10,000 name on the list, but this "third party" they spoke of had to pull them off of CP, it is too much of a coincidence. I am not sure where the other 8,000 or so names came from however.

Just wondering Kevin...What is the name of the company you bought the list from?

Sarge,

Just read the list agreement I signed and it gives me far too much liability to give the exact company. I will tell you this, however. It is a major adress list company that has an affiliate they recieved it from. I used Yahoo.com to find them. They are in the U.S. and there are only a few companies that even had a cigar smoker list.

Also, you will all be happy to know that they have pulled the list for investigation and that I was the first one to purchase the list, which first came available only a couple months ago. I guess they work with smaller entities and give them a percentage of the list sales. They will not be able to sell the list until the investigation is clear. I cannot promise anything, as I am not sure that pulling addresses from CP is illegal. I am certainly not an expert in this area, but being that only one person has purchased the list so far and there are complaints, a rational business man would pull it due to potential liability.

Sorry I can't give the exact name. I am sure these guys have a lot of money to make my life hell if need be and I have a wife and 19 month old baby girl to look after.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.