• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Premium cigar Pricing

Turbolag said:
I watched this video on Youtube about a month ago. This lady was being interviewed on a number of questions. She is the owner of the cigar shop. 

She said people come in and want to buy a present for a cigar enthusiast. She said they ask for the most expensive one, but she also said, that just because you buy the most expensive one doesn't mean it is the best. 

So maybe you can find a great cigar for $4 ? 

After I watched that video, it made a lot of sense. 

If you tell the person behind the counter what you usually like, would they have some recommendations? 

Just a thought. 

Much like wine, price usually indicates quality and flavor, but not always.  Any schmuck can drop $100 on a bottle of wine, and it will usually be quite drinkable.  The real fun (for me) is finding that $8-12.00 bottle that's almost as good.  Same with cigars to a large extent.   Love my 26's and 64's and TAA's and LP#9's etc....but I smoke a lot of far less expensive smokes, too.  And, they are very much enjoyable.

If you tell the person behind the counter of a B&M what you like and they don't have any recommendations....you're in the wrong B&M..!!  That's why you visit a B&M; local experts that offer advice and suggestions.

Now, go post an introduction or I'll tell Doc..... :p

I find that I really like the Hemingway smokes and you can find the short stories for around five bucks at b&ms. But if your patient you can find best sellers on monster for cheap.

broblues said:

I have never smoked a real cuban cigar! I dream of poping my cherry with a Cohiba Behike 56. Don't know how much they cost or where to get one. i heard they are a great cigar. Looks like i will stay a virgin and keep dreaming lol.
1st:  Post an introduction!

2nd:  This thread has nothing to do with Cuban cigars.  There is an area for those that can partake to discuss them.

3rd:  As is said here very regularly...........read more, post less.

In his defense, there really isn't a thread entitled "Passive/Aggressive Attempt for Sources/Mooching" so he was forced to post here.  So you really can't blame him.

MoeCizlak said:
In his defense, there really isn't a thread entitled "Passive/Aggressive Attempt for Sources/Mooching"...

There isn't?

broblues said:
I think $6.00-$7.00 is probably the extreme beginning of the good cigars pricing...
I have reached the point that I rarely buy something that has street pricing (and on-line sales price) less than 8 dollars. Just too many disappointments.

I generally am happiest with sticks in an 8 to 12 dollar price range. There are some noticeable exceptions to this in smaller sizes like 5 x 42, etc.

I now enjoy smoking smaller ring gauges more than large. The bricks and mortar stores near me stock little or none below a 46 ring gauge.

I would prefer to buy at a local B&M mortar but now buy online and have been buying a good bit on auction.

There is a much larger and wider variety available and I also purchase many items other than cigars on line.

I do understand that in areas with demographics similar to mine, a B&M store would not be profitable with a quite wide selection.

emoshun said:
"We hand roll all our cigars, and have been for years. Everything is $5, any size or wrapper"

But I would have jumped on this just to try, plus realizing that with no middleman, marketing and markup costs, the likely would have been the equivalent of 10 to 12 dollar sticks. Might not have like them, but would have loved to try them.

bigwill1979 said:
I have never smoked a real cuban cigar! I dream of poping my cherry with a Cohiba Behike 56. Don't know how much they cost or where to get one. i heard they are a great cigar. Looks like i will stay a virgin and keep dreaming lol.

broblues said:

2nd:  This thread has nothing to do with Cuban cigars.  There is an area for those that can partake to discuss them.

The thread is about Premium Cigar Pricing is it not? The Cohiba Behike 56 IS a premium cigar. So what if its cuban! Don't worry i will make sure i dont post in any of your threads again. And im sure you will have another rude reply to this comment. you know what you can do with it...right?

MoeCizlak said:

In his defense, there really isn't a thread entitled "Passive/Aggressive Attempt for Sources/Mooching" so he was forced to post here.  So you really can't blame him.

"Passive/Aggressive Attempt for Sources/Mooching". Easy buddy I really dont care about your Precious sources, Just like i told your rude buddy broblues. you know what you can do with it....right?

tomthirtysix said:

They've got good prices here: http://goo.gl/Dfgd1

Thank You for treating me with respect. And not responding with rude smartass remarks..even if your link is of a dog dressed like a bumble bee lol. People around here sure make you feel welcome. what is the deal? not everyone is an expert on cigars.

bigwill1979 said:

broblues said:

The thread is about Premium Cigar Pricing is it not? The Cohiba Behike 56 IS a premium cigar. So what if its cuban! Don't worry i will make sure i dont post in any of your threads again. And im sure you will have another rude reply to this comment. you know what you can do with it...right?  
bigwill1979 said:

"Passive/Aggressive Attempt for Sources/Mooching". Easy buddy I really dont care about your Precious sources, Just like i told your rude buddy broblues. you know what you can do with it....right?
tomthirtysix said:

Thank You for treating me with respect. And not responding with rude smartass remarks..even if your link is of a dog dressed like a bumble bee lol. People around here sure make you feel welcome. what is the deal? not everyone is an expert on cigars.

Welcome to CigarPass bigwill1979! Don't pay any attention to the rude locals...

While 3M has a long history of pandering to newer members in order to boost his shaky self esteem, I don't suffer from the same ailment.  From now on, I'll try my darndest to treat you with respect and answer your questions/posts with beedog links.

bigwill1979 said:

tomthirtysix said:

Yore welcome.

Well, before the prices went up I thought a Padron 2000 for $4.50 was decent and a Fuente 8-5-8 was $5.50. Don't see a thing wrong with that pricing.

And Tom, for land sakes leave Doc out of this before we get a lecture on VD or drinking too much.

BlindedByScience said:

I watched this video on Youtube about a month ago. This lady was being interviewed on a number of questions. She is the owner of the cigar shop. 

She said people come in and want to buy a present for a cigar enthusiast. She said they ask for the most expensive one, but she also said, that just because you buy the most expensive one doesn't mean it is the best. 

If you tell the person behind the counter what you usually like, would they have some recommendations? 

Just a thought. 

Much like wine, price usually indicates quality and flavor, but not always.  Any schmuck can drop $100 on a bottle of wine, and it will usually be quite drinkable.  The real fun (for me) is finding that $8-12.00 bottle that's almost as good.  Same with cigars to a large extent.   Love my 26's and 64's and TAA's and LP#9's etc....but I smoke a lot of far less expensive smokes, too.  And, they are very much enjoyable.

If you tell the person behind the counter of a B&M what you like and they don't have any recommendations....you're in the wrong B&M..!!  That's why you visit a B&M; local experts that offer advice and suggestions.

I fully agree about the Padrons and LP's,etc... I can't afford to smoke the $6 to $12 cigar more than once a week but like to smoke more than once a wee.  Maybe this is a topic for a new thread but;  What are some of the lower cost cigars you enjoy in the $3 to $5 range?   Some suggestions would be nice
Some I enjoy:
1. Schizo ("cuban sandwich" cut filler from the Asylum line)
2. Don Lino
3. 5 Vegas
4. Perdomo Fresco

EDIT:
Found the thread for this;  NEVERMIND

wantacigar said:

I fully agree about the Padrons and LP's,etc... I can't afford to smoke the $6 to $12 cigar more than once a week but like to smoke more than once a wee.  Maybe this is a topic for a new thread but;  What are some of the lower cost cigars you enjoy in the $3 to $5 range?   Some suggestions would be nice

Just a thought. 

Some I enjoy:
1. Schizo ("cuban sandwich" cut filler from the Asylum line)
2. Don Lino
3. 5 Vegas
4. Perdomo Fresco

That is kind of where I was heading with this. Getting input next as to the very smokable sub $6.00 cigars.  Thanks Pug, for your input as well.

Actually the Smokable Sub $6.00 cigar thread already exists. It's called "Daily Smokes for Beginners (& Bargain Beauties)"

I usually mill around the store for a few minutes chatting with the clerk about his favorite cigars, the best sellers, and price ranges. I am really just killing time. Most of the time, another cigar smoker walks in who is familiar with the store. I strike up a quick conversation with them to get their opinions on the stores offerings, too. They usually know several good cigars to try.

With unknown cigars in a B&M, I try to stay under $12 and have bought very decent cigars for as low as $4. Every cigar in the $4 to $7 range I have purchased was on the strong recommendation of cigar smokers, and their suggestions were always good. Their advice is usually as good as or better than the store clerk is.

I usually prefer the $6 - $15 range. Hemingways, AF Gran Reservas, Padron thousand series, Opus X, etc. If I am in a good mood with a little ching, I will drop $25 for a PAM.