• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"Price Drop" Question...

CigarAl

First, hello to everyone at CP, I hope all is well.  I know I have not been around for awhile and I hope everyone is having a great holiday season.......

I was going to post this in the Buy/Sell/Trade section but since it is not an actually a transaction, I thought here would be the most appropriate place.

My question has to do when a Seller drops a price on some items they are selling multiple items of after someone has already purchased one (or more) of them.

Let me set up the scenario.  This was not anything that happened on CP, but I wanted to get some thoughts and feedback from the folks here as I trust this community's opinion.

Seller posts several samplers (mixed cigar samplers) for sale all at the same fixed price.  I contacted the Seller and told him I was interested in two of the samplers at the asking price.  I made payment via PP, he confirmed he received the payment and is sending the samplers out.  This all happened within hours of his original posting.  I have not received the cigars yet as this just recently happened.

Literally less than 24 hours later he reduced the price of each of the samplers by $15 each.  So the difference to me is $30.

I am conflicted how to proceed.  Should I say something? I know people do drop prices when things don't sell, but this was less than 24 hours from his original posting.  This was also not a case of selling multiple, different items and dropping the price of one of the items because it was not selling.

Should I wait until the packages arrive?

I know this is not a retail situation, as I would contact the retail for a credit.  

Should the Seller be contacting me to offer me something?

Any thoughts on how this should be handled or if this has happened to you....

I tried to do a search to see if this has been discussed before, but could not find anything (that could be do to my searching skills.......).

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Was this a sale that appeared to be "never ending"? As in constantly being updated?

No it was first posted at ~7:00pm one evening and the at ~6:00pm the next day with a price reduction.

There were no other edits or updates except removing the samplers I purchased in between.

I also searched the site and did not see these posted by the seller prior to this posting.

I contacted the Seller and told him I was interested in two of the samplers at the asking price

So why is there an issue?

I think you should contact him and ask him what's the deal and or where's my $30. I could see if it sat stagnat for months but less than 24 hours is crazy. If he doesn't want to credit you $30 then tell him to give you back all your money and ship the smokes back.

It would bug me too.

MilesMingusMonk said:
I contacted the Seller and told him I was interested in two of the samplers at the asking price. 

MMM...the issue for me is that less than 24 hours later he dropped the price of the same items, of which I had just purchased two of, by $15 each.

24 hours does seem a bit quick to have a price drop.  Drop him a pm and I am sure he will work with you.  Was the seller able to move a large quantity within those 24 hours (i.e. sold most of his stuff with just a few things remaining) or was it just you who purchased prior to the drop?

You agreed to the asking price. Send your money, smoke your cigars. End of story. Doesn't really matter why the price was lowered, so long as it was fair to begin with. Seller doesn't owe you anything.

Joebiech said:
24 hours does seem a bit quick to have a price drop.  Drop him a pm and I am sure he will work with you.  Was the seller able to move a large quantity within those 24 hours (i.e. sold most of his stuff with just a few things remaining) or was it just you who purchased prior to the drop?

He was selling six samplers.  From what I can tell it was just me who purchased two and the other four still remain.

JHolmes - I guess its just me and how things went down.  If the remaining samplers had sat for awhile, I would be more understanding.  If it was me who was selling them, I would like to think I would have reached out to the original buyer and discussed this them.  What if I had not paid him yet?  Many people dont pay right away.  I happen to think its important to do my end of a transaction ASAP.  Sending payment a day later is not unrealistic or untimely.  If I didnt pay right away would I be held to the higher price?

Al, I get where you're coming from, it would bug me too...but a deal is a deal. 

This guy isn't Macys or Target and gives price protection. Chalk it up to experience and move on.

One question though...is he a long time smoker or a new kid on the block?

MilesMingusMonk said:
I contacted the Seller and told him I was interested in two of the samplers at the asking price

X2.   You may feel cheated, but you agreed on a price and completed the transaction.  You may contact the seller with your thoughts, but you are getting what you agreed on at the agreed on price.  Done deal.

I have to kind of agree that a deal is a deal, however I would probably still drop a note to ask if he happened to price yours in line with the new listing, as well.  Not much to do otherwise but stew about it if it bugs you that much.  Was this a "MUST LIQUIDATE NOW!!!" type of offering where he needed to get rid of stuff as quickly as possible for some reason?  

If I was you, I would send it a polite note asking him if he could give me the same deal as the one posted the day after. Doesn't hurt to try but you shouldn't feel cheated, you made a deal and if you decided to purchase from him is because the deal was good to begin with.

ironpeddler said:
Al, I get where you're coming from, it would bug me too...but a deal is a deal. 

This guy isn't Macys or Target and gives price protection. Chalk it up to experience and move on.

One question though...is he a long time smoker or a new kid on the block?
Well said Gary.

My opinion is that you agreed to the original price, and were fine with that price when you replied.  That is the deal that was made and the deal that needs to be upheld.

Any price variations after your agreement, don't come in to play.

Education is expensive.....You made the deal, but next time I would be wary.

Two pesos from a noob:

If the original sale was truly a break-even (i.e., brotherly) transaction for the seller, it doesn't seem very brotherly to complain about it. If it was for-profit (I.e., non-brotherly) and openly stated as such, then caveat emptor. If you believe a profit was made off a transaction that was supposedly brotherly, you have a good reason to ask for clarification.

I doubt this would happen at CP, but if it did the membership would be all over it to ensure they were not profiteering. Since this transaction bothers you, I suggest you limit your purchases to CP or CP retailers.

Just my opinion

Thanks everyone.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.  I would not have done the original deal if I did not think it was worth it.  I have no intention of backing out on the deal, just think it is a shitty way to do business.

Gary, he does not appear to be a newbie, he had positive comments in his profile and is know on at least one other board.  But you summed up how I feel

Kann - this was not a "must liquidate" sales; he was selling mixed samplers.

I did drop him a note asking why the sudden price drop and awaiting a response.

Like I said before, just not how I would go about things.