• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pricewise, what is your line in the sand?

AustinMike

Hook 'Em Horns!!
I've been smoking cigars for a lot of years. I don't chase the fad cigars or drink the Fuente Kool-aid anymore. There are certain brands that I won't buy, because their prices are just ridiculous. I understand supply and demand. I just refuse to accept "well they'll pay it" which is what I actually heard from a shop owner who was pushing Between The Lines for $40 a stick.

The #1 stick that I refuse to pay the asking price for is the Liga #9. Steve Saka can stick a saka in it. I'm not paying over $300 for a box of nicaraguan cigars, like ever! Fuente ranks high on my list and so does Don Pimpin'. Yes, Don Pimpin', because that's exactly what he does to the average cigar smoker, pimp us. I had that conversation with Don Pepin in person, so it's nothing he doesn't already know. With that said, I will pay $300 for a box of Cubans though. AJ Fernandez has been a good alternative to Don Pepin. Nicaraguan smokes that don't break the bank. Strong and tasty.

I won't even pay MSRP on some of these cigars, because their asking price is simply ridiculous.. Drew Estates doesn't have some magical tobacco that exceeds AJF by hundreds of dollars. I know guys pay it and I used to too, but I'm a much wiser cigar smoker these days. If I can find a second of an AJF cigar at a fraction of the cost, I'll take that all day and twice on Sunday. I'll snap up Fuente kool-aid from Tampa Sweethearts, but I'm not ever going to pay $40 for a BTL. I also won't pay $300 and up for a bottle of Pappy. I've had it and it's good, but it's not THAT much better than Buffalo Trace. I'll take Eagle Rare all day and spend the difference on cigars! I've been railing again the Fuente pricing model for a lot of years.

We all have our own definition of value. If I could get a cigar that costs $5 that tastes and performs identically to a a Liga #9, I'd buy that cigar. But I love the taste of Liga #9 and have both the funds and desire to buy one (or several) when I want. But I don't chase rare cigars that are selling over MSRP.

While always looking for value, I do, and will, spend stupid money occasionally. It is dependant on blender, tobaccos, respectable (by my standards) buzz, etc.

See it's not about asking though. I have plenty of money to buy whatever I want. I know this is capitalism at it's finest too, but I'm not paying D.E. prices. I'd sooner buy a box of Bolivar ISOM than a box of drew estates. I remember a time when drew estates was considered crap. They were hocking mixed fill cigars and flavored crap. Then Saka came along and produced a winner for them and bam, $300 a box. Forget all that nonsense.

I know a lot of guys in the business. A friend of mine who used to work for Torano told me a story about Gurkha cigars. Torano used to roll cigars for them (possibly still do, since they don't produce anything). Torano charged them 50 cents per cigar for ANYTHING they rolled for them. Now think about that for a minute. Gurkha sells some of their cigars for hundreds of dollars. So you take a 50 cent cigar, put it in an ornate box and bam, you get 'His Majesty's Reserve'. Then guys who want to pose with a high priced cigar get to do exactly that. A fool and his money.

My point in this rant is not to be deceived by a label. We've done blind taste tastes over the years and those are proof that we really don't know WTF we're smoking. LOL

I've obviously stepped on some toes with my post, but I don't sugar coat in the game of life. After all, it is an opinion at the end of the day.

bfreebern my brother, I appreciate that. I do have to say though, HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!!;)

300 bucks for Liga 9 isn't really crazy when you consider he is building a culture. Just because you don't think it's worth it, does not mean others don't. He became the juggernaut he is because he is savvy, and well liked. In addition, and if I'm not mistaken, he provides health insurance for his employees, among other VERY humane and thoughtful actions. While his blends are not in my top tier, I have a lot of respect for Jonathan Drew. A lot of long term cigar smokers consider the the Liga 9 to be an exceptionally elegant cigar.

You'll pay 300 for a box of Cubans, but won't for Nicaraguans? You're talking out both sides of your mouth. A lot of us on this forum have been smoking cigars for 20, 30, 40+ years. Some "Labels" garner much more respect than others. It all comes down to what we love.

While most of us won't jump in with both feet chasing new stuff, we may do splits, etc. to save money and try something new from a highly respected blender. In a lot of cases, such a blend if not loved by one person, will be highly sought by others.

Opinions and truths are vastly different from each other. I think you're getting them mixed up and mixed together. Also wondering if you pissed off some of the Liga 9 fan boys who come unglued if you criticize one of their products. That's a whole other discussion. ;)

Last edited:
300 bucks for Liga 9 isn't really crazy when you consider he is building a culture. Just because you don't think it's worth it, does not mean others don't. He became the juggernaut he is because he is savvy, and well liked. In addition, and if I'm not mistaken, he provides health insurance for his employees, among other VERY humane and thoughtful actions. While his blends are not in my top tier, I have a lot of respect for Jonathan Drew. A lot of long term cigar smokers consider the the Liga 9 to be an exceptionally elegant cigar.

You'll pay 300 for a box of Cubans, but won't for Nicaraguans? You're talking out both sides of your mouth. A lot of us on this forum have been smoking cigars. Some "Labels" garner much more respect than others. It all comes down to what we love.

While most of us won't jump in with both feet, we may do splits, etc. to save money and try something new from a highly respected blender. In a lot of cases, such a blend if not loved by one person, will be highly sought by others.

Opinions and truths are vastly different from each other. I think you're getting them mixed up and mixed together. Also wondering if you pissed off some of the Liga 9 fan boys who come unglued if you criticize one of their products. That's a whole other discussion. ;)

JD is a really cool dude. I've had a few conversations with him and he is definitely a class act. Perhaps the fan boys are where my beef lies. To fawn over grown men who own cigar businesses is simply ridiculous to me. Then again I'm not one to fawn all over professional athletes either.

I wouldn't consider my preference for Cuban cigars as talking out of both sides of my mouth. Cubans are harder to acquire and have a very unique flavor profile. When a Cuban cigar is on, there is no comparison anywhere in the world. The best cigar I've ever had was a Trinidad Fundidore. It was unreal what I tasted in that cigar. Chased it ever since with not much luck. Sure other cigars are good and some were even great, but none can touch that Trini. In espresso speak, it's called the "god shot".

Perhaps that's where I make my other mistake. There have been times when I did jump in with both feet, only to be disappointed. You live and you learn.

What you're saying then is that you'll pay for what you like.
The more cigars you experience, the more often you'll experience the "god shot".
It's an organic product. There is an old saying that the very best cigar, and the very worst cigar you've ever smoked can come out of the same box.
I've had mind blowing cigars from Gurkha, Oliva, and a slew of others. You live you learn only works if you really live...i.e., experience all you can.

Well, I'm somewhere on this ship. My own issue very honestly is being on a fixed income. When you know where your bottom line is I watch more carefully. Yes, I enjoy the #9, but last one was six months ago. I shop careful, always compare B&M to online, I don't mind fair but really get pissed at gouge.

I don't do ISO so that conversation is easy.

I think taste and disposable income enters into this. Thankfully, for the most part a 8-5-8 or 3000 Maduro hit my sweet spot. When there is a magic moment, I'll buy into a Feral Pig but knowing I won't see it again for at least four months.

To each his own, enjoyment is the key, not the cost of the goods.

Smoke what you like, buy what you can afford. Overpriced cigars are just that!

A tobacconist once asked me for thirty cents for an infused cigar. I ate his liver with a Fundadore and what ended up being pretty decent bottle of Sunny-D.

What you're saying then is that you'll pay for what you like.
The more cigars you experience, the more often you'll experience the "god shot".
It's an organic product. There is an old saying that the very best cigar, and the very worst cigar you've ever smoked can come out of the same box.
I've had mind blowing cigars from Gurkha, Oliva, and a slew of others. You live you learn only works if you really live...i.e., experience all you can.
Nah, not like that one cigar. I've smok