• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Problem with my B & M

Thunder1257

So I started smoking when I was 18. There is a rather large shop near me with a wonderful selection and a very knowledgeable staff. Though most of the original staff that helped me to really pick up my tastes I don't see anymore it was awesome for a newbie. Actually it was quite odd being kind of a regular where the staff knew me and my friends names and tastes, I guess its normal for this kind of business but was unusual for me. That being said I have had some problems with the owner. I do not want to get into the specifics of it, as it can cause the thread to be hijacked into a flame war, but in the stores newsletter he has been putting very political messages, some that are highly offensive. I tried replying to him but he doesn't list his personal email and I cannot reply to the list serv. I am away at school most of the time but whenever I am in town I do like to go there, but I don't want to support the owner. I have never heard of a business doing this, it seems very unprofessional. Any advice?

ps. there are no other shops within a good distance that can even be considered a cigar shop, let alone a good one.

You've never heard of someone voicing their opinion? Happens all the time around here. If you don't want to support the owner, then don't support the owner. It's that simple. If you can learn to disagree with someone's viewpoint without getting disagreeable, then go in there and have a smoke with the guy and strike up a discussion. Until you learn to do that, best to stay out of his shop. And by the way, you were right to fear getting the thread hijacked. There are some real professional thread hijackers lurking around here and they can and will hijack threads. They are a despised lot.

Well let me correct myself a bit. It was not political leanings, the letters had very racist messages in them. I want the newsletter because it does give good info for upcoming events and other relevant information, what I don't want is it to be mixed with prejudice garbage. I have no problem with other people having different political leanings, as it takes many views and discussion about them to keep yourself sharp.

Well let me correct myself a bit. It was not political leanings, the letters had very racist messages in them. I want the newsletter because it does give good info for upcoming events and other relevant information, what I don't want is it to be mixed with prejudice garbage. I have no problem with other people having different political leanings, as it takes many views and discussion about them to keep yourself sharp.

Which newsletter is this?

Tell the guy to shove his white hood up his ass and be done with him. Life is too short to put up with that kind of BS. Smoke at home until you graduate and move far away from that place and you'll find another shop with hopefully better owners/clientele. If principles matter to you, and I hope they do, then cut all ties to that shop.

Tell the guy to shove his white hood up his ass and be done with him. Life is too short to put up with that kind of BS. Smoke at home until you graduate and move far away from that place and you'll find another shop with hopefully better owners/clientele. If principles matter to you, and I hope they do, then cut all ties to that shop.

A little quick with the draw there..eh?!

Are you sure it's a white hoodie?

I would rather not say at this point, just looking for advice on the particular situation. It may be best as Moe from Springfield said and talk to the guy, though my original thoughts were not to because of the particular subject, I guess I only stand to gain something from it. Another question I would ask to the general board then is do you find it unprofessional to put political messages in newsletters that people signed up for to get information about events or deals at that business?

edit: heh, did not see Moe's later post, guess his opinion changed a bit, though I still think a discussion with the guy might at least make him see to separate business from personal life.

I would rather not say at this point, just looking for advice on the particular situation. It may be best as Moe from Springfield said and talk to the guy, though my original thoughts were not to because of the particular subject, I guess I only stand to gain something from it. Another question I would ask to the general board then is do you find it unprofessional to put political messages in newsletters that people signed up for to get information about events or deals at that business?

Can you explain the "political message" because I am a little confused? Is he talking about Obama? Hispanics?

edit: heh, did not see Moe's later post, guess his opinion changed a bit, though I still think a discussion with the guy might at least make him see to separate business from personal life.

What's the difference?

Seems pretty simple to me. If you're that offended by what he says, there's only one way to stop supporting him.

Can you explain the "political message" because I am a little confused? Is he talking about Obama? Hispanics?

No, he can't go into specifics about the "political message".

Seems pretty simple to me. If you're that offended by what he says, there's only one way to stop supporting him.

Agreed! No need to start a thread about it where you can't really get specific. All you're doing is arousing people curiosity on a subject you can't seem to expand on.

What's the point.

No, he can't go into specifics about the "political message".

Sorry, I reread the original post. :thumbs: Well, I have to agree with everyone else then, get your cigars from somewhere else. I also doubt holding a conversation with him will have him change his mind about his political postings in the newsletter but if you never try than you never will know. I would start with bouncing it off some of the employee's first, maybe they know him a bit better than you do.

Well I can if you would like. The newsletter I am referring to had a song/poem kind of thing about "send the negro back to africa" and was all about the president. I read in the rules to stay away from political stuff so I tried, but I guess this isn't quite the same. Not all newsletter have messages like this, but there have been a few others. I was just honestly looking for advice on how to approach the situation because I love the store, but am very irritated by all this. As far as your question grateful I think that the store has alot to offer to the cigar community, I know I would have never started had it not been there and I want others to get into this wonderful habit. At the same time I do not particularly like the owner.

Anyone with any business acumen keeps his politics to himself. Why would someone, interested in making money, alienate half of his customers. I suspect this clown is making other serious errors in managing his business. Avoid him. Cigars aren't that hard to come by.

Doc.

Ill be pretty blunt with you. If you have a problem with the shop, then express your dissatisfaction by voting with your wallet and go somewhere else. Wheather it be right or wrong, its his shop and you really have no right to tell him how he should be running it or what he should be saying. If he starts losing business because of his comments, that should tip him off to shut his trap from now on. Just because thats the only shop near you does not mean your entitled to flex your muscle to make it what you want. And honestly, the guy could care less what someone who comes in every couple months for some sticks thinks.

Go make somone elses wallet fatter and be done with the guy.

weather/wether/whether

Ill be pretty blunt with you. If you have a problem with the shop, then express your dissatisfaction by voting with your wallet and go somewhere else. Wheather it be right or wrong, its his shop and you really have no right to tell him how he should be running it or what he should be saying. If he starts losing business because of his comments, that should tip him off to shut his trap from now on. Just because thats the only shop near you does not mean your entitled to flex your muscle to make it what you want. And honestly, the guy could care less what someone who comes in every couple months for some sticks thinks.

Go make somone elses wallet fatter and be done with the guy.

My personal opinion is that if the owner's viewpoints (whatever they may be) are very offensive to you, than you have a right to stop patronizing his business. Furthermore, as a long time customer, I would make sure to tell the staff (and the owner to his face if you have the opportunity) that you're taking your business elsewhere and perhaps explain why. Money is the great equalizer in all this. Vote with your wallet. A true B/SOTL would not let a good price compromise his/her ethics.

Also, there are plenty of vendors here within CP that you could strike up a relationship with. My .02

Opening a thread about the issue is already enough to know that you have already made your decision.

As for having a discussion with the owner, I'd personally skip it as not worth my time. Trying to reason someone out of an opinion that he didn't reason himself into in the first place usually just gives me a headache. If he does later decide to separate his personal beliefs from his business dealings, it likely won't be as a result of a heart-to-heart discussion. It'll be due to a stinging sensation in his wallet. I would unsubscribe from the newsletter and politely explain that I was taking my business elsewhere and why.