• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Prop Glyc shelf life

KingGeorge

Just getting into cigars and I have a few in a tuperware tub with a jar of Madeline's gel to maintain humidity. I'm was thinking about expanding and getting a larger container so I wanted an extra humidifying agent so I bought some prop glycol from a local pharmacy. The pharmasist sold it to me really cheap because he said, "It's been here long than I have." And they no longer use the stuff.

It's an unopened pint of PG. I opened it up and mixed with distiled, use the wet floral oasis and a container to hold it all. But, this stuff smells. The PG has an odor and I'm worried that if I put it into the tub it'll impart a smell on the cigars.

Is it suposed to smell? Does the smell go away? Is the PG too old?

george

I've been working on a liter bottle of Sigma PG that is seven years old. It is absolutely odorless.

If it has a smell, it may be contaminated, adulterated, or otherwise tainted. I would not use this in a cigar humidifying device.

Are you sure it is not the floral foam? The Oasis brand foam I used to use was also essentially odorless.

Wilkey

Yeah, I'm sure it's not the foam. I still have the rest of the foam and it it's basically odorless. I might have insinuated that the oder did not appear until I mixed the PG with distilled water, but the Propylene Glycol has an oder all unto itself. Almost a rubbing alcohol smell. I looked up PG on wiki and it said it's "usually" odorless and since I broke the seal on the bottle I don't think it's contaminated. I think I just have some form of PG that has an odor.

In the bright side, it appears that the odor is dissipating and is no longer as strong as it was.

george

Propylene glycol should not have a strong smell. It shouldn't smell so strong that it can be compared to rubbing alcohol... How pure is the PG you picked up? Are there any additives at all? I would spend the few extra dollars and get something else rather than risk ruining your cigars.

This is so disappointing. The label lists on one ingredient... PG along with the name of the company, it's uses, a caution, and a notice. It lists one of the uses as humectant.

I thought I scored when the second pharmacy I went to has some in the back.

It's not the money, it's trying to get a hold of the stuff. Any recommendations?

george

You mean where to get PG? All the online vendors sell the stuff. I'd say go buy it from there or you can do as Wilkey did and buy from Sigma, which is more of a B2B type vendor.

The smell may be from the plastic bottle breaking down and absorbing into the PG. A similar smell occurs with bottled water that gets too hot and is stored for an extended period of time.

Save yourself some trouble and $ in the long run and pick up some RH Beads! :thumbs:

Hope this helps
~Mark

Well, it's been a day and a half and the homemade credo I made no longer smells but I'm afraid to use it. It's been sitting out of the tupperdor airing out and and it doesn't really smell like anything any more. I might seal it up in an empty Tupperware tub and seal it up and see if the smell comes back after a day or two.

The scientists it me just wants to know whats happening and what will happen.

For now I getting along fine with the jar of Madelines so I'm in no hurry for the PG.

george