• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Punch Royal Coronations Tubo 1980’s

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
It’s been a long while that I’ve sat down and written out a review. I’m still smoking cigars; however not to the extent that I had been. I can’t say that I’ll pick back up to as many reviews as I have done in the past; however will definitely keep on keeping on, and now on to the review.

Up early this morning, decided to bake up a batch of blueberry muffins from scratch with the blueberries Jessica and I picked yesterday evening. Wasn’t long before the kitchen was filled with the smell of sweet baked muffins and fresh brewed coffee; could hardly wait!

Everything turned out excellent, and with belly full I top off my coffee, grab a smoke, and head out to my spot on the back porch. Cloudy this morning with temps in the mid seventies and looking almost tropical from the thick moisture in the air. Cicadas are really at it starting low, then louder and louder to an almost hypnotic pitch, very relaxing to me; could close my eyes and drift right off probably.

But no, going to put fire to a 1980’s Punch Coronations Tubo received from my good friend Bob (Cigarsmoke) some time ago. I pull the cigar from the tube and find it in excellent condition with a dull brown wrapper and minimal veins. It is very firm when squeezed, has a good weight in the hand, and after punching the cap I find the draw is unfortunately on the tight side. However, I do get enough air flow through to find a very musty tobacco taste on the palate.

As I light the foot, the smoke wafting up to my nose smells incredible, and I sincerely hope the draw opens up once the tobacco warms and loosens. I go easy with the cigar, taking long slow draws at first, letting the fire rest between. After a bit I take a couple quick puffs and then a somewhat stronger long draw, but unfortunately there’s not a very good amount coming through. Because of this, both the strength and flavor I find to be somewhat skewed and not that great.

I continue to take slow, long draws and am somewhat tempted to try my draw tool; however I’m afraid doing so will crack the delicate cigar. I do massage the cigar from head to foot as it has warmed and softened throughout. I can feel what is probably the cause of the tightness; a very hard spot right under the band, and squeeze this area as carefully as I can hoping not to crack the wrapper.

About a third in, the draw actually opens up enough to get a good amount of smoke through. As with most cigars that I’ve smoked with this much age, the smoke seems incredibly full and what I would almost describe as powerful. The strength and spice both hit my palate in unison and is an absolutely perfect balance. There’s an incredible richness in the finish as I exhale slowly through mouth and nose, tastes of sweet ginger bread, toasted wood, and what seems like a strong, black coffee at the end.

Heading into the halfway mark and through the final third, the burn is sharp with the ash forming in perfect layers from each draw taken, which is flow perfectly now. I’m amazed at the amount of smoke that is produced with just a small draw taken. There’s a slight oily feel in the mouth with the strength right at full and good, strong spice hitting the back of the tongue and throat. Flavors continue to be rich and delicious over the palate, seeming to become more profound as I get towards the end.

While this cigar started out not smoking so well, it paid off in the long run as it ended up smoking perfectly. Sharp burn, perfect draw after about a third in, rich and delicious flavors with a long, lasting finish; what an incredible treat to smoke such a cigar.

08-13-11PunchRoyalCoronations003.jpg

DSC04183.jpg

08-13-11PunchRoyalCoronations001.jpg

08-13-11PunchRoyalCoronations002.jpg

DSC04216.jpg

Hmm. Make me hope I live 20 more years to smoke some nicely aged sticks from my stash. The smokes from about 2008 forward have really been delightful, and I hope that in 20 yrs, they will be something really memorable. I've always been fascinated with what MRN calls the "funky cheese" stage of a well aged Cuban cigar. Hope to one day experience it.

CC Punchs have really grown on me. Used to not be a fan, but over the last year they've become a favorite of mine.

Nice review Greg! Glad to see you doing one, it's been a long time.

Thanks for the review Greg. I really enjoy reading your reviews.

BTW - Those muffins look pretty damn good also!

Nice to see you still writing buddy. Another great review. :thumbs:

Also, GB on the muffins....:love:

Great review Greg ( as always ) I have smoked many Coronations but never one with so much age on it. The new tubos are green and don't look very appealing ,but thankfully the cigar inside is first class as all CC punch cigars seem to be .

Nice to have you back my friend. :thumbs:

Greg, great review. Your writing reminds me a lot of Mark Twain. You have a gift.

Very nice review Greg, glad you enjoyed it. Too bad the opening 1/3 was semi plugged. I'm glad you took pictures of the tube which has an interesting plastic plug/cap unlike the modern screw caps or even the newer slide tubes.

Bob