• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Punch VS Cut

s0ber

Is there a diffrence between cutting the cap off and punchin a cigar? i've never punched so i have no clue if theres a diffrence or what. Whats the Pro's/Con's of each?

I use a punch all the time. Punches won't work with torpedo/piramide cigars but since I hardly ever smoke those........

It's mostly just a matter of preference. I keep a 44 Magnum punch cutter on every key ring in every car I drive so this way, I never lose or misplace my "cutter" so to speak.

So for me the "pro" of a punch cutter is that I always have it with me, no matter what ;)

Do you think because theres less surface area to draw smoke out of with a punch, you get less of a draw? I tend to smoke cigars faster then i should and sometimes i catch a pretty big buzz, wondering if a punch would help. Or im just a light weight

I use a punch, v-cutter and double blade cutter ... alot depends on the cigar which one I'll use. As for draw I have not noticed much of a difference though what i have noticed is that on punched and v-cut cigars there can be a more noticable collection of ammonia's, etc... due to the size of the hole or slit.

I prefer punches due to the portability of them via key ring..the ones I use are rubber coated which look like large pill capsules blue and black...cost about $2.50 each. It is easier to spend $2.50 than $5.00 & up for a double bladed cutter.

You could also go the old fashioned way and bite the end off like Clint Eastwood..:)

-P-

Buy a SAK cutter. I always have mine in my pocket. No matter what you smoke the SAK cuts them all.

Ditto what rnccen said -- I use a punch and double blade cutter (Xicar multitool on the keychain) ... alot depends on the cigar which one I'll use.

I prefer a punch cut on the thicker caps like Padron, Diamond Crown, and also on many of the ISOM robustos. Seems to give me a very clean cut that way.

Smaller gauge stuff I'll always use the Xicar Multitool.

Wascal said:
Buy a SAK cutter. I always have mine in my pocket. No matter what you smoke the SAK cuts them all.
Ditto....pretty much the only cutter I use these days :thumbs:

s0ber said:
Do you think because theres less surface area to draw smoke out of with a punch, you get less of a draw? I tend to smoke cigars faster then i should and sometimes i catch a pretty big buzz, wondering if a punch would help. Or im just a light weight
Just a light weight :D

Oh and if by chance I don't have my keys with me, I use the Clint Eastwood method ;)

Wascal said:
Buy a SAK cutter. I always have mine in my pocket.
A SAK cutter! :0 And you always have your SAK in your pocket! :0

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowch! Was that your choice? I'll bet the wife made you do that. :p

I do both... I use a double bladed guillotine cutter (Xikar, Davidoff or Palio) to cut most of my cigars or an Avo Punch when I punch them.

I usually use the cutter because I like the full cap exposed when I smoke. I also always use a cutter when smoking torps or belis as they have a pointed cap and a punch doesn't work well. A double blade also comes in handy when the cigar is plugged close to the head.... I just take the double blade and cut below the plug and voila... back to puffing (assuming that the cigar fits in the opening). The only drawback I've found with the cutter is if you cut too much of the cap off your cigar... then the wrapper will tend to unravel especially if you moisten the head of the cigar while you smoke.

I'll use a punch cutter on smaller ringed cigars. The punch cuts cleanly and removes the wrapper and some binder from the cap. It's great because it leaves the triple cap intact so the wrapper doesn't unravel. The drawbacks are that the hole may not be big enough for enough airflow in which case you can just punch a bigger hole or more holes in the cap. For example... on a robusto I'd use the punch 3 or 4 times on the cap to open up enough of an opening for airflow but I'll be careful to not ruin the triple cap.

It all comes down to personal preference and convenience. When I travel I only take my punch cutter because it's discreet doesn't look like a cigar cutter. When I herf locally I take my double blade and throw it in my case. At home... I'll grab whatever cutter is closer to the humidor unless I'm gonna smoke a torp.. then I always grab the double blade. I'd say... get both and use 'em!

Aloha,

Wade

My cigars already come with a hole in them so I don't have to worry about losing my punch, cutter or SAK :D

I used to use a Xikar for everything, now I use a Xikar punch on everything by torps and small ring guage sticks.

Like Wade sez, the cutter is useful for improving the draw IF the plug is near the head, but I've never had a problem with draw using a punch.

Personal tastes, as usual.
:D

I punch every cigar except belis and torps. For those, I use my Xikar multi-tool cutter. On the larger ring gauges, I'll usually give them a snip with the XMT about 10 minutes into the smoke.

I've been looking into this myself, I've become quite annoyed with what I currently use and I'm looking to buy a better cutter(I use a single-bladed guillotine) You could buy a hand-held "v-cut" cutter, but there are two problems with that-a lot of people complain about the blade becoming dull and since it's a triangular shape, it's next to impossible to sharpen. The other drawback is that it isn't hard to crush the head of the cigar with one. The "punch" or "puncture cutter" like the .44 magnum cutter is one that I'm looking into buying. Drawbacks? As stated earlier by a fellow CP brother, torpedos and other "odd" shaped cigars won't work as well. The other problem has nothing to do with the cutter itself. If you attempt to apply this kind of cutter to a dried out cigar or one with humidification problems, you might do more harm than good. Have expense problems? Buy a bunch of single razor-blades and cut away!! :D I love the Xikar double-bladed guillotine cutters. From what I've read, this is supposed to be one of the better cuts you can get. At the same time, if you buy a cheap one, there will be some variation in the blades coming together and you could end up with just as much tobacco in your mouth as on your floor. Personally, I've decided to either go with the .44 magnum cutter or the Xikar double-blade. I'm leaning more towards the former.

I normally cut every cigar. I like to taste the tobacco on my tounge. I use the Xikar double blade cutter.

s0ber said:
Do you think because theres less surface area to draw smoke out of with a punch, you get less of a draw?
Actually, you don't have to cut very deep with a punch to get the same (or more) surface area as is at the end of the cigar. If you take the area of a cylinder (which is what the punched hole is) and compare it to the surface area of a circle/rectangle (which the cut end of a normal/box-pressed cigar is) you'll be surprised by how close the measurements will be. The surface area isn't the limiting factor, the diameter of the hole is the limiting factor.

And let's keep the diameter of the hole jokes to ourselves please, this is an educational thread.

ROTFLMAO!! Man, I was all over that till the last line! :sign: :sign: :sign: