• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

purging

classyndry

on injured reserve
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Bl...695,256,00.html

I was unaware that one could purge the cigar, put it down, and light it up later. The one and only time I've ever purged a cigar was when I came across a blockage right at the cherry. I blew out firmly, and a fireball went shooting out of the end of my cigar. Any of y'all purge a cigar, let it rest overnight, and then start it up the next day?

I was unaware that one could purge the cigar, put it down, and light it up later. The one and only time I've ever purged a cigar was when I came across a blockage right at the cherry. I blew out firmly, and a fireball went shooting out of the end of my cigar. Any of y'all purge a cigar, let it rest overnight, and then start it up the next day?

I have done it in a pinch with a cigar when I just could not bear disposing of when time planned to smoke it gets away for me. It is never as good as original, but at least it is smokeable after the 1st few minutes. I actually purge and depending on ring gauge clip off about 1/2-3/4 of an inch below the burn line. I have also noticed the fuller body the cigar (reasonable as there is more concentration of flavor and hence byproducts) the worse they are next day after this process.

For example the one time I had to relit an Opus X it was unsmokeable, but a Davidoff was about 75-80% of original. Just one mans opinion.

I was unaware that one could purge the cigar, put it down, and light it up later.

You can also drive a car with your feet..... but that doesn't mean it's to be done. No cigar will EVER taste right if smoked the next day.... I dont' care if you purge, burp it or massage it.

I actually learned about purging after coming to CP and I gotta tell you, it has really added to my cigar smoking experience. I generally purge only a few times during the stick, but I now do it with every stick. I usually purge after every ash, because I find the flavor changes for the first few draws after every ash. Then I purge little more frequently towards the end. I find that it can help, if not completely correct, any burn issues. I also find that the first two or three pulls after each purge return the flavor of the cigar to what it was shortly after being lit. It's really amazing, if you find towards the end of a cigar that the flavor is beginning to head south or get a little bitter, just give it a good purge, let it cool for a few seconds and take a pull.

You can also drive a car with your feet..... but that doesn't mean it's to be done. No cigar will EVER taste right if smoked the next day.... I dont' care if you purge, burp it or massage it.

LMAO!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Greatest quote ever!

I didn't start "purging" until I came onto CP and learned about it. Since then, a BOTL on here gave me a new purging technique that I have found to breathe new life into the cigar I am enjoying.

Basically, it is as follows:

When the cigar is lit, and it begins to get a bitter or harsh taste, knock off all of the ash until you can clearly see the "cherry." Then fire up your lighter, take a deep breath, put your cigar in your mouth, and place the end of your cigar into the flame and blow out. If you do it right and for an extended period of time (up to 10-15 seconds usually) you should get a small flame on the end of your cigar. Your cigar will become very hot, but its burning off alot of impurities and whatnot.

Let it cool for a few seconds, then take a draw. Trust me, it's like a NEW CIGAR. Actin4Life taught me this, and he said he learned it from Moki? iirc... TRUST ME, TRY IT OUT, it'll change the way you smoke!

As far as relighting a cigar, I have problems relighting and smoking one that went out 10 minutes ago let alone A DAY!! Bleccch....no thanks.

If the cigar you are smoking is such a premium cigar, I would suggest just making the time to smoke it so you don't have to worry about saving it for another day. For instance, if I know I am gettin to bed in an hour, I'm not going to smoke a Padron 40th. I'll just have a Padilla Obsidian instead...I don't feel guilty about letting it go out halfway through, and I can sleep easy knowing my Padron 40th is safe for another day! :p

JMHO...

Holy crap, what have we here?

Folks who carry one cigar around for a week, lighting up a few times a day for a quick puff ???

I guess you know times are hard when you, oh well!!!... :sign:

Crazy!

Brian

LMAO!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Greatest quote ever!

Leave it to Johnathan to compliment a perfectly good line jack. Can't take credit for it.... that's all Chris Rock. His delivery of it is even funnier, except for the burp it, massage it part..... that's all me baby! :p

As far as relighting a cigar, I have problems relighting and smoking one that went out 10 minutes ago let alone A DAY!! Bleccch....no thanks.

If the cigar you are smoking is such a premium cigar, I would suggest just making the time to smoke it so you don't have to worry about saving it for another day. For instance, if I know I am gettin to bed in an hour, I'm not going to smoke a Padron 40th. I'll just have a Padilla Obsidian instead...I don't feel guilty about letting it go out halfway through, and I can sleep easy knowing my Padron 40th is safe for another day! :p

JMHO...
Yep.

Relighting a cigar for me has always been a complete waste. You can purge all day and to me they always taste like s#!t on relighting.

I echo the sentiments about making the time for a cigar. Time restrictions are why I have "little" cigars; LFD 200's, Cohiba Siglo 1's, Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas, etc. In the morning or on a busy weeknight, when I don't want to spend an hour ++ with a smoke, they are what I reach for. Even a mareva or a petite corona are a good, reasonably quick smoke. Save the big boys for those times when you can really focus and appreciate the time.... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

Um souldog24ca, I think someone may have switched an image in your signature that you are hot linking to. :laugh: I'm glad the wife wasn't around!

Yes. Gael from La Luna Cigar (now exticnt) taught this back in the the 1990's. It works. You will find earlier discussions abount this if you use the search function. Gael also told me taht if you stick is a bit dry if you bloe through after you cut it, it will help restore some of the humidity. :thumbs:

I'll re-light a smoke the next day, sometimes. Clip the ash part off, then relight. It takes a good ten minutes or so of taking a draw and purging, however the smoke comes back to life once past a certain point. Maybe not as good as first lit, but hey...I'm not wasting a stogie! :D This is only if I've got a good part of the smoke left though.

Edited to add the purging part. :)

I was unaware that one could purge the cigar, put it down, and light it up later.

I actually learned about purging after coming to CP and I gotta tell you, it has really added to my cigar smoking experience. I generally purge only a few times during the stick, but I now do it with every stick. I usually purge after every ash, because I find the flavor changes for the first few draws after every ash. Then I purge little more frequently towards the end. I find that it can help, if not completely correct, any burn issues. I also find that the first two or three pulls after each purge return the flavor of the cigar to what it was shortly after being lit. It's really amazing, if you find towards the end of a cigar that the flavor is beginning to head south or get a little bitter, just give it a good purge, let it cool for a few seconds and take a pull.

Agree completely!

As far as relighting the next day... I mean if you enjoy it why let what others say knock it? Personally, I haven't relight a cigar since the first two I ever smoked. Its just too much of a hassle with the pungent smell and all. But again, if you dont mind go right ahead and do it!

....take a deep breath, put your cigar in your mouth, and place the end of your cigar into the flame and blow out. If you do it right and for an extended period of time (up to 10-15 seconds usually)...

At 53 years old...if I ever tried to blow hard for 10-15 seconds straight...you guys would need paddles to bring me back from the dead!

Screw that, I'll light another stick and live.

Don't misunderstand; if a guy finds this acceptable, by all means do so. "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke" is the mantra.

....re-lit smokes still taste like ass to me, though..... :laugh:

Cheers - B.B.S.

I frequently bring a smoke to work, knowing I don't have enough time to smoke it all. I bring it in a glass tubo so that I can flick the ash, put it back in the tubo and stop it up and it'll go out on its own.
The next day I'll take it out, squeeze the hardened charred ash off the foot, blow through it and re-light.
Maybe I've just gotten used to doing this, but I always find the remainder quite smokable. YMMV :D

Don't misunderstand; if a guy finds this acceptable, by all means do so. "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke" is the mantra.

....re-lit smokes still taste like ass to me, though..... :laugh:

Cheers - B.B.S.

X2

I am a purger myself (it comes with being a hotboxer), but I am not one to relight a cigar, after a bad experience with a Davidoff some time back.

I do agree that once the tar is purged, the cigar gets new life and flavour. I can happily nub the cigar with this method.