• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Quad State Herf 8 - Saturday, July 27th......

There aren't enough good things to say about this event.  Charlie, Beth and crew put on an event that is special in lots of different ways.  Of course, the benefit is for the best cause you can imagine, and I'm proud and glad to be able to contribute.  So many great guys, can't even begin to name everyone that I shook hands with, smoked with, hung out with....just an exceptional time.  Great pics guys, really brings back those fresh memories.  Great to meet new folks, re-connect with friends that I unfortunately only see once a year.  Can't say 'think you' enough times for everything...!!  Well done, guys...!!!

Charlie you are the man! - thank you.  Awesome event, great food, camaraderie and we had a great time. Looking forward to next year. 

That was truly one of the greatest times I've ever had, and I've had some great ones. It was so great to get to meet a whole lot of people I've "known" for years and put names to faces and to make many new friendships.  I really don't possess the vocabulary to sufficiently describe what a blast that was, so I'll just shut up and post some pictures I took.

CharlieinCharge.jpg

Charlie in Charge!

Cheerleaders.jpg

What cigar event would be complete without cheerleaders?!?  I don't know if Charlie planned this or not, but all three young ladies had a thing for short, fat, bald, married guys.  It got pretty embarrassing at one point but they're only human.

ChristianJeffandTom.jpg

Christian (EricDriscoll), Jeff (Shibumi) and Tom (Tomthirtysix).  We strategicially set up shop next to the wonderful kegs of Newburgh Brewing beer.  We may not seem like the smartest people in the world, but we are when it comes to beer.

Pipers.jpg

Everyone agreed that the pipers were the highlight of the herf.  There wasn't a dry eye in the place when they finished playing.  The best part was Elliot didn't look nearly as silly in his skirt once these guys showed up.  Although I think these guys called theirs "kilts".

PeteandTom.jpg

Pete (bxcigrfan) and Tom get in line for some out of this world grub.  If the money for the ticket went solely for the food provided it would've been well worth it.  Simply amazing.

LosJesusTomPeteandTone.jpg

Clockwise from top: Tomthirtysix, Pete, Tone, Los and Jesus.  Don't be fooled by the smiles on the faces, this game was serious business and quite fun to watch.  Los, how'd it end up? :)

LosJesusPeteToneandLE05.jpg

Another action shot.  But I had to sneak the velvety smooth LE '05 into the picture.  That was an absolute treat to smoke.

GaryWillPaulHalaykoandTom.jpg

Gary, Will (badwhale), Paul Halayko from Newburgh Brewing and Tom.  Newburgh makes some tasty beers and Paul was even offered and accepted a cigar.  He disappeard shortly afterwards so I'm thinking Johnny-Os were a little on the heavy side for him.

PaulIsrealGary.jpg

As the evening was winding down, Paul, Gary, Isreal and others reflect on what a great time it was.  Most of us said a prayer for Isreal and Tom (BlindedByScience) and they made it back all the way to Jersey without losing their hearing to Gary's booming techno music.  Guys, please let us know you made it ok.

NewburghBrewery.jpg

Tomthirtysix and I stayed up in Newburgh after the herf and decided to drop in and check out Newburgh Brewing's joint.  It was a neat old warehouse or factory that they restored.  Great selection of beers and food (except for the spruce one. I'm sorry if you read this Paul, but that shit just ain't right).  If this place were but a mere 1500 miles closer to me, I would live there.  If you're ever in the area, I highly recommend trying this place out.  It's top notch.

FinalEvening.jpg

The night after the herf and my last night in NY Tom and I had a plate of wonderful cheeses, breads and charcuterie with a sublime couple of beers.  Hi Josh!

LowerManhattan.jpg

Finally, Tom and I headed down to Brooklyn for some great food stands and a cigar by the water looking into Lower Manhattan.  I included this pic because I know guys from NY and Des Moines would take this scene for granted and not realize just what a metropolis this place is.  But if you're experiencing it for the first time, it is utterly jaw-dropping. 

Charlie, thank you so much for all the hard work you do for this wonderful event.  I don't know how you could possibly do it any better.  My hat's off to you.  And for anyone who is on the fence about attending this event in the future, DO IT.  If Tom can make it from Vancouver, WA, it can be done.  The CP aspect to an event like this is not at all different than a family reunion.  People you've never met before shove great cigars in your hand as they're hugging you and then they pour you a drink of some great booze or beer or both.  I even regained my eyesight after downing that home-made Puerto Rican booze.  At the very least, you'd find out I'm not some crotchety old man.  That would be Alan.  I am going to try everything in my power to make this an annual thing from now on.  I truly hope I'm successful.

Great pics Clint thank you for sharing! I love that Brooklyn shot and can't wait till the day I can get down in that area!

And yes Clint is not a crotchety old man as most would have suspected... LOL

Paul

Well everyone, thanks for sharing all of the pictures and there are a "lot" more on Facebook that Steve Jaffee (the old man walking around and we kept calling up on the mic) posted.   I'll go through them and post as many as I can of everyone here on CP.  Thank you all from Beth and I, it truly was an amazing day.  The weather was perfect, the beer, booze, BBQ and of course the cigars were all to notch.   It was great to see everyone and I'm glad to hear that all made it home safe and sound.  There's no way that we can top it next year, we'll simply have to replicate it some how.   We did a final count yesterday and after everything, we raised well over 18K, yeah baby........  :)  :thumbs:  :cool:

Until the next one as Anthony says, thank you all again.

Thank you Charlie and Beth for all your hard work in putting the event together, and thanks to all who contributed to the cause.  The total raised is very impressive!  

The QSH has come to be such a reliable and fun gathering.  It was great catching up with old friends and making new ones.  Thank you to everyone for their camaraderie and generosity with cigars, beer and booze!  

The only peculiar thing was meeting this fellow from Iowa that mistook the shorts I was wearing for a skirt.  It was pretty awkward when I noticed that whenever we were standing and talking, he would strategically position his foot between mine.  I caught him doing the same with the bagpipers.  What sort of deviant comes to a herf with a camera in his shoe?

Thank you for yet ANOTHER great event Charlie!  You and Beth really outdid yourselves.  I was able to spend some time with old friends I haven't seen in a while and meet faces that I've spoken to for years, i.e. Clint.  You made it all the way from Iowa, brother....good job!  Now you're in the same category as BBS, who will fly thousands of miles for a cigar and a drink!  Great seeing you ALL and regardless of where I live next year, I'll be at the HERF!

thechenman said:
What?  Anthony didn't win?  That's a low down cryin' shame.  I'd blame Ian.
Dave,
They always blame Ian, but for some reason it's only my fault when they don't win. When they do win, it's because they're lucky or good. I've got big shoulders, right Gary? :D Seriously though, thank you all for participating, and I really do wish everyone could win.

thefatguy said:

Dave,
They always blame Ian, but for some reason it's only my fault when they don't win. When they do win, it's because they're lucky or good. I've got big shoulders, right Gary? :D Seriously though, thank you all for participating, and I really do wish everyone could win.

Thanks Ian for the win!!!!!!  :thumbs:

Tall Paul said:

Dave,

Thanks Ian for the win!!!!!!  :thumbs:
Awe, thanks little guy. :D

It should be mentioned that the grand prize winner, shown in Gary's photo, is Anthony, from the Wings for Warriors.
He tried to give it back to be raffled again, but we wouldn't let him.

thefatguy said:

Dave,

The way I heard it from these 4 lovely ladies, that's the only 'big thing' you have :laugh:

RonnieamptheGirls_zps9d126b14.jpg

Incredible time, Charlie. Between the cheerleaders and the handsome Mets fans, it sure was a classy get together!

it was amazing time uncle george cousin george and uncle ray had a blast and charlie next year i have to give you their names ahead of time so they have a name tag i caught flak for that one lol
it was great meeting new faces slick it was real cool hanging with you waiting on the steaks lol Moe dont worry we will teach the Iowa boy to play dominoes even if we have to go to iowa
Taul paul it was awesome to actually shake hands this time thank you for the stick and watch out im coming for you just like tampa knocked you outta first place lol

charlie and beth you are two very awesome people that do some much and ask nothing in return. i am glad i was able to meet you two because just knowing you has made me a better person may you two be blessed thank you for an awesome event

anthony deserved winning that humidor it couldnt have gone to a better person. I sent him a bunch of sticks to give to the deployed soldiers and he turned it into the the most awesome care package any deployed soldier would want.

can not wait for next year

This is a picture of Ian, his wife Ronnie, Isy, and Michele Tuchman, Isy's aunt and the owner of Uptown Cigar

IanRonnieIsyampMichele_zpse148d3e4.jpg

Another pic of the guys....

AlltheGuys_zpsd3061f97.jpg

These are my boys from Boston, Tommy B and Bill. This was their second QSH and have been adopted by everyone there and by the guys here at CP...and my thanks to everyone for making them feel at home.

TommyBMeampBill_zps2cfda567.jpg

What a great time...

OurTent_zps7b347084.jpg

This was our area we staked out. A couple of tents, chairs all around, Ray's 'Crack-in-a-Bowl' on the table (big hit!), Scott's Dad Larry hanging out with the Killer Pomeranian Pete, the two Toms hangin' out, the girls from Capadura Cigars in the back, Clint holding court AGAIN....what a great, laid back time. That's the way Charlie wants it!

OurArea_zps4a527394.jpg

I'm lovin' all the pictures, thanks for sharing guys, very cool.  I talked with Bob Staebell (Owner of Staebell & Associates) who donated the grand prize, he is actually going to etch the "Wings for Warriors" logo on the front glass door of the humidor.  http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/
Also, I've talked with a few cigar company owners and reps yesterday and they are graciously going to send Anthony a couple of boxes each to start filling up the Aristocrat for Anthony.  Too cool!   Keep the pics coming as they great memories......  :)   :thumbs:   :cool:

That's awesome news Charlie...the icing on the cake to a great day! You going out of your way to make someone's day a little brighter is SO you!

Anthony was such a cool guy and was so humbled by winning that prize...and then when he tried to give the humidor back to be re-raffled, and everyone started chanting "keep it, keep it, keep it!"...he was almost in tears. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Thanks again brother for putting on the best cigar event! If you measured your success by the smiles on everyone's face, the amount of laughter you heard, and the hugs everyone was giving to each other....I'd have to say it was the best one yet!

That is way too cool, Charlie.  When you get a chance, PM me his address if you have it.  I'll send some stuff to fill up the new humidor.