• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question about cutter

gardkarlsen

Hi

I have been searching the net a bit and there are lots of cutters out there. I'm leaning towards a giljotin style cutter and I have been looking at the brand XIKAR. Are there also other brands that I should look into? Which are the best places to buy online?

I have an Xikar and a Palio. Both work well, but I find the Palio gives a cleaner cut. I think you'll be happy with either one.

The Xikar and Palio have very different actions and ergonomics. Try both before you buy. The Xikar is the star of the "clipper" type cutters and the Palio is the premier (value) "dual guillotine" type. Personally, when I have the option, I prefer to use a sharp pocket knife.

Wilkey

Im not sure if these have sold, but Rod made THIS thread with some great prices on Xikars..... might want to PM him and see if they are still available.

Good comments above, I'll just throw in there that I own and have used both many times.

I no longer use my Xikar, I don't think it matches the Palio's sharpness and cleanliness of cut.

Once I bought a Palio I've never even thought about another cutter. As sharp as you can find and the cleanest cut. I've never used a Xikar cutter. I think you'll be happy either way.

i have both the xikar and palio. both pretty good cutters but i seem to use the palio as my go to cutter.

Don't listen to these people. Get a Wenger SAK. You can clip your cigars,( I think it's the optimal tool for the score and lift method) open your Micro-brewed beer, un-cork your favorite wine, tighten your loose screws, and defend your wife's honor with one reasonably sized tool. You won't be disappointed.

Doc

I have one of those coming to me in the mail. Getting impatient to try it out. Doc, the reasons you list are the same reasons I decided to order it. Plus carrying a Swiss Army Knife takes me back to my childhood enthusiasm for the "McGuyver" TV show!

I have one of those coming to me in the mail. Getting impatient to try it out. Doc, the reasons you list are the same reasons I decided to order it. Plus carrying a Swiss Army Knife takes me back to my childhood enthusiasm for the "McGuyver" TV show!

You did notice that the last post in this thread was in 2008 right?

Good advice and recognition for it never gets old. :whistling: However, I heard that Wenger no longer makes a knife with a scissor style cigar cutter. I hope I'm wrong mine still going strong and I still think it's the best cutter.

Doc

You did notice that the last post in this thread was in 2008 right?

Hey Nash--

He searched for "giljotin" and this was the only post that came up.........

Good advice and recognition for it never gets old. :whistling: However, I heard that Wenger no longer makes a knife with a scissor style cigar cutter. I hope I'm wrong mine still going strong and I still think it's the best cutter.

Doc

That's Doc, always one to recognize talent in a Newbie :laugh:

My personal favorite is still the Palio. The blades just seem to stay sharp.

I got my Xikar before Palios came out.
I got a Palio for a backup.

Both work well. No advantage to either,
as far as I can tell. Both have lifetime
warranties.

Chemyst :cool:

Nash and Juan,

Good observation!

I did use search because I read in the newcomer material that it was advised not to just create new topics rather it was suggested to search first, post second.

Eight posts later though, I would say this post is alive and kicking.

Doc,

I hope I like the Wenger cutter. Though I see a ton of good review on the Victorinox version