• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question about Original Release...

Tapewormboy

Reaction score
Just wondering exactly what constitutes an original release cigar? Is there a guideline as to when the original release cigar period ends and when the secondary release begins? Or is it just a fuzzy line based on guesses when retailers get shipments in?

Mostly talking about domestic cigars that don't have box dates.

In regards to the Ashton ESG, it seems like some retailers are now getting a second shipment (or the first for some). These could be from the original blending batch, just shipped out later, or a completely different set of leaves. Does anyone have information on this?

It seems that OR sticks might sell/trade with greater value even if they are within a few months of each other in terms of age; true or false?

Did a search, but didn't find a thread where this topic was discussed. Just wanted to hear what you all had to say about this...

Best,
Frank

Don't know a definition of OR, but I know one when I see one. :D

I would consider this recent batch of ESGs to be part of the original release.

To answer your question, all the ESG churchills are from the same batch. Ashton is releaseing them in small quantities over time so that they can be somewhat available. If they were to release them all at once, very few people would get to try them.

Good question. I'm sure Moki or one of the others will be along to provide the difference. In the case of Anejos, there is a packaging difference between the OR's and the ones currently availble. That is shown in the Anejo reference thread here.

Good question. I'm sure Moki or one of the others will be along to provide the difference. In the case of Anejos, there is a packaging difference between the OR's and the ones currently availble. That is shown in the Anejo reference thread here.

Well, the difference is somewhat arbitrary, but usually it refers to the crops of tobacco used. For Anejos, for example, they used a different wrapper, which is why those ORs in particular and sought after.

For most cigars, I'd say it probably doesn't matter all that much, other than the fact that tobacco blends can and do change over time. It's inevitable, given the nature of tobacco crops year over year. The blenders do the best job they can to maintain the original reference blend, but it's never exactly the same.

Interesting. I was thinking along the lines of tobacco crop as well.

Wilkey