• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question About Retrohale

Rope a Dope

I was watching this newish YouTuber I like, and he said that he can't retrohale. I also, cannot retrohale. Is this common or are we outliers?

Short answer is yes its more common than you think. I was unable to retrohale for a long time. I watched enough videos on youtube until I finally learned to do it. I will say its worth the effort (and coughing fits you get while learning). The flavors it opens up is amazing!

Short answer is yes its more common than you think. I was unable to retrohale for a long time. I watched enough videos on youtube until I finally learned to do it. I will say its worth the effort (and coughing fits you get while learning). The flavors it opens up is amazing!
Do you have a link to one of the videos that helped you the most?

I never knew I was "retrohaling", until I read what the word actually meant on here. Exhaling the smoke through my nose was just something that I naturally did without thinking about it. I was never a cigarette smoker, or anything, so it's not like I carried over from there.

That said, I'm 44-years-old, and I still can't whistle...

Do you have a link to one of the videos that helped you the most?
I honestly don't, that was years ago and I watched probably 20 of them.

Biggest take away is:
1. You aren't a dragon, you are only blowing out 20% or so of the smoke you have in your mouth. The rest will come out of your mouth
2. Close your mouth, press your tongue to the roof of your mouth and blow out through your nose slowing and controlled. Some people are able to blow out through their nose and mouth at the same time. I am NOT one of those people.

Try this:

1. Take a deep breath in and hold it.
2. Fill your mouth with as much air as you can and hold it.
3. Start breathing out through your nose and while doing so, open the back of your throat. If you can't do this, then tighten your lips as tight as you can, and push towards the back of your throat forcing it to open.

Were you able to expel the air from your mouth out your nose? If so, you can easily learn to retrohale.

Someone once told me to try chewing the smoke. You will retrohale naturally when doing this. It works.

Makes sense, chewing naturally closes off your throat to keep from inhaling.

Another tip - until you master the retrohale, you might inadvertently blast the entire smoke charge through your nose. Depending on the cigar, you might not want to blow all the smoke through your nose, but with practice you can vary the retrohale amount to suit the cigar.

It didn't come natural to me, but now I find myself doing it subconsciously.