• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question for the bourbon lovers of the board.

tomthirtysix

Wishing I was as cool as Phil
My bourbon experience is pretty limited. Maker's Mark, Knob Creek, Four Roses, Basil Hayden's, either Booker's or Baker's (I forget which one - it was something in the neighborhood of 110 proof, but very smooth). This is the menu for the event tomorrow:

Jim Beam Black
Jim Beam White
Jim Beam Rye
Red Stag
Basil Hayden's
Booker's
Baker's
Knob Creek
Maker's Mark
Evan Williams Black
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Evan Williams Honey Reserve
Elijah Craig 12Yr
Elijah Craig 18Yr
Bernheim
Eagle Rare 10yr
1792 Ridgemont Reserve
Buffalo Trace
Blanton's Single Barrel
Benchmark
Ancient Age
George Dickle 12yr
Bulleit
Jeremiah Weed Blended Bourbon, 90
Jeremiah Weed Cherry Mash
Jeremiah Weed Sweet Tea Vodka
Jack Daniels
Jack Daniels Single Barrel
Gentleman Jack
Woodford Reserve
Wild Turkey 101
Rare Breed
American Honey
Russell's Reserve Rye 6 year old
Russell's Reserve Bourbon 10 year old
Tullamore Dew
Noah's Mill
Black Maple Hill
Old Whiskey River
Elmer T Lee
Rock Hill Farms
Rebel Yell
Rebel Reserve
Ezra Brooks
Jameson
Jameson 12
Red Breast
Admiral Table
Admiral Nelson
Admiral Nelson 101
Pappy Van Winkle 20yr
Pappy Van Winkle 23yr
Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka
Firefly Raspberry Tea Vodka
Firefly Mint Tea Vodka
Firefly Lemon Tea
Firefly Peach Tea Vodka

Yes, I know they're not all bourbon. I have no desire to even look at the Firefly table, unless that's where the women are gathering, but back to business. From this list, what are your top 3 stops, assuming that the companies will be pouring whatever they're offering at one place. I'm guessing offerings like the Pappy Van Winkle 20 and 23 will be poured at the same stop. .

Thanks for the help, and we'll see what I can remember to report back.

Oh, for those interested, here is the complete menu for the day: http://beerandbourbon.com/maryland/drink-menu
Yes, they're also serving beer.

Blanton's and the Single Barrel Jack are both worth stopping for. Red Breast is a good example of a pure pot still Irish Whiskey. Looks like a great event, may have to look into the Manhattan one for next year.

By the time we found out about this stuff, the Manhattan one was sold out. I'm guessing it sells out pretty fast.

I am going to this event, and have many stops I am looking forward to. Are you looking to find some good daily drinkers to buy or just interested in trying the premium stuff you might not normally drink because of the price?

My top 3? Only 3? Here are some of my opinions. You can decide for yourself what to try.

Red Stag - Avoid at all costs
Elijah Craig 18Yr
Bernheim - Wheat whiskey, not bourbon but very smooth
Eagle Rare 10yr - Good stuff at its price point
1792 Ridgemont Reserve - Not my fav but some like it
Buffalo Trace - hard to beat for $20
Blanton's Single Barrel - Very good but a bit over priced
George Dickle 12yr The Tennessee whiskey you should be drinking. Way ahead of Jack.
Bulleit - Needs some water or ice but OK
Jeremiah Weed Blended Bourbon, 90 Avoid at all costs
Jeremiah Weed Cherry Mash Avoid at all costs
Jeremiah Weed Sweet Tea Vodka Avoid at all costs
Jack Daniels Single Barrel What JD should be but way over priced
Rare Breed - Good stuff
Russell's Reserve Rye 6 year old. Only 90 proof now. The old 100 was better but this is still very good
Russell's Reserve Bourbon 10 year old. If you like Turkey, you'll love this
Tullamore Dew 12yo is decent the blend ehh
Noah's Mill - I like it
Black Maple Hill - They bottle a lot of different things most of which are good to very good
Rock Hill Farms - Decent
Rebel Yell - Made under contract by Heaven Hill. The Rebel Reserve is surprisingly good, the Rebel Yell not so much
Rebel Reserve
Ezra Brooks - 12 yo Ezra B is great
Jameson 12 - Far better then the blend
Red Breast My choice for Irish you can actually buy in the US
Admiral Table Avoid at all costs
Admiral Nelson Avoid at all costs
Admiral Nelson 101 Avoid at all costs
Pappy Van Winkle 20yr Some feel the 20 is actually better then the 23.
Pappy Van Winkle 23yr there are 2, the standard 95.6 proof and the limited 114 proof. The 114 is exceptional as it should be for $350 a bottle.
Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka Avoid at all costs
Firefly Raspberry Tea Vodka Avoid at all costs
Firefly Mint Tea Vodka Avoid at all costs
Firefly Lemon Tea Avoid at all costs
Firefly Peach Tea Vodka Avoid at all costs

Buffalo Trace - hard to beat for $20
Blanton's Single Barrel - Very good but a bit over priced
Russell's Reserve Bourbon 10 year old. If you like Turkey, you'll love this

....snagged from AVB's list. Those would be three I'd be very interested in....though I have two of 'em at home on the shelf....;)

Tom,

Ray's list singles it out the exact way I would with a few exceptions of his knowledge trumping mine (no surprise). May be obvious to say but make sure you to to that Van Winkle, it really is amazing stuff.

One thing Ray forgets to mention is that Firefly is possibly one of the best mixers for women that exist :cool:

Enjoy my friend.

Ray says it best....

PVW is a must...

Noah's Mill - I like it
Black Maple Hill - They bottle a lot of different things most of which are good to very good
Rock Hill Farms - Decent

These three are a good mix....

Bookers and Bakers I enjoy as well.

a lot of good available bourbon's left off the (Not Ray's) list too....

I'm in agreement with the folks who posted before me. PVW would be my first stop. Blanton's is excellent, and I'd probably try Elijah Craig 18. I hear it's one of those love it or hate it kind of spirits and I've never tried it

May be obvious to say but make sure you to to that Van Winkle, it really is amazing stuff.
Ray says it best....

PVW is a must...
I'm in agreement with the folks who posted before me. PVW would be my first stop.
....OK, I'm seeing a trend here....:laugh:

Never seen PVW locally. Ever. Guess I'll have to check some of the mail order guys....:whistling:

Thanks for the heads up, guys - B.B.S.

May be obvious to say but make sure you to to that Van Winkle, it really is amazing stuff.
Ray says it best....

PVW is a must...
I'm in agreement with the folks who posted before me. PVW would be my first stop.

Never seen PVW locally. Ever. Guess I'll have to check some of the mail order guys....:whistling:

Yeah, you definitely won't regret it. Pappy is some really good stuff. :thumbs:

Jay, we are there! Any crew wants in for January in NYC get on board. The whole hog baby!

Ray says it best....

PVW is a must...

I haven't seen it lately locally myself...If you can find the 15 year it is one of the best price wise of the bunch. Some is usually available at the distillery I think last time I was there the 20 year was $125.....let me know and I will keep an eye out for ya.

Thanks for the advice guys, especially Ray with the breakdown.

By the way, if anyone is in the area, I now have an extra ticket as one of my friends went to the hospital this morning and passed a couple kidney stones, with a couple more waiting.

ETA: Robert, to answer your question - I guess both? Something new to drink would be nice, but I think I may lean more towards tasting something that I normally wouldn't buy blindly at a high price tag.

If you drink the Red Stag, don't bother coming back. :laugh: Hope you enjoy the weekend bud, can't wait for the pictures.

So Tom, how did it go and what did you end up trying?

There were quite a few companies who did not show. Not sure if they were only going Saturday, had a last minute cancellation, or just added on the list to expand it, covered under the whole "scheduled to appear, subject to change" disclaimer. The one table I was most disappointed to not see there was the Pappy Van Winkle. After hearing all the great comments on it, I was really looking forward to it. I circled the area at least 4 times to no avail looking for their table.

There was no Jameson or Red Breast there, another slight disappointment. I did not see the Russel's Reserve, Ezra, or Rebel.

More importantly:
Tried the Elijah Craig 12 and 18. Liked the 18, the 12 was OK.
I liked the Eagle Rare 10yr and the Buffalo Trace. And that was without remembering the price point comment.
Bulleit, Dickell, and Black Maple Hill were OK. I tried talking to the guy at the Black Maple Hill table about the other bottles he had there, but he knew nothing, claiming he "just got to the table half an hour ago," so I moved on.
By far my favorite table of the night was the Basil Hayden's / Booker's / Baker's / Knob Creek table. I sampled the first 3 multiple times. It also worked out that theirs was the table right across from the BBQ line. While one of my party waited on line, the rest would go get refills. Out of those, I liked the Booker's best, with Basil a close second.

Thanks again for all the pointers. And I look forward to going back to this event next year.

I can tell from the pictures you had a great time. Oh, wait.... :angry:

Post some damned pics!!!!

There were quite a few companies who did not show. Not sure if they were only going Saturday, had a last minute cancellation, or just added on the list to expand it, covered under the whole "scheduled to appear, subject to change" disclaimer. The one table I was most disappointed to not see there was the Pappy Van Winkle. After hearing all the great comments on it, I was really looking forward to it. I circled the area at least 4 times to no avail looking for their table.

There was no Jameson or Red Breast there, another slight disappointment. I did not see the Russel's Reserve, Ezra, or Rebel.

More importantly:
Tried the Elijah Craig 12 and 18. Liked the 18, the 12 was OK.
I liked the Eagle Rare 10yr and the Buffalo Trace. And that was without remembering the price point comment.
Bulleit, Dickell, and Black Maple Hill were OK. I tried talking to the guy at the Black Maple Hill table about the other bottles he had there, but he knew nothing, claiming he "just got to the table half an hour ago," so I moved on.
By far my favorite table of the night was the Basil Hayden's / Booker's / Baker's / Knob Creek table. I sampled the first 3 multiple times. It also worked out that theirs was the table right across from the BBQ line. While one of my party waited on line, the rest would go get refills. Out of those, I liked the Booker's best, with Basil a close second.

Thanks again for all the pointers. And I look forward to going back to this event next year.

Did you get to sample the Blanton's? That was one of my favorites. I was disappointed by the companies that didn't show as well, but the turnout was nice. Sorry you missed the Russel's Reserve (it was under the stands, around the corner from the hot tubs). It was pretty good as well. I think we might head back when the show comes to National Harbor in June. The cold weather forced us to leave earlier than we would have liked. All in all, a great show and would recommend it to any bourbon or beer lover. That's right, they had some great beer samples as well.

Basil Hayden is, for all intents and purposes, old watered down Old-Granddad. I like the Granddad better.